Turbo or Supercharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo or Supercharge

:dj: Hello evey one, first off I'm new to this site I have been reading whats been posted, and I was just asking for your guys opinion I have a 2.8l I put the cold air intake (I made my self) Im impressed and I have true duels for my exhaust but now I'm thinking of turbo charging or supercharging I know I would have to custom turbo kit but I think I found a supercharger kit for it but whats better?? thanks for the help

Re: Turbo or Supercharge

Supercharger is easy and if you live somewhere with smog laws it makes it quick to swap back and forth.
    91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

Tell me about this supercharger that you have found. I love the whine from a supercharger, I prefer them over turbos. Not to mention that it is a much easier and requires very little fab work is any at all. With turbos you have to do custom exhaust work and may have to make new brackets for accessories.

Comment

My supercharger is off an MR2, it's a roots style blower but is mounted like a centrifugal and plumbed to the intake. I got mine on ebay for $250. Makes about 6psi.
        91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

well I thought I bookedmarked the page where the supercharger was, but I guess I didnt :twak:, well Im finding them for the 2.8 but the pics show them on a carbrated and mine is multiport and that MR2 how much did it take you to put that on, and what will I need?

Comment

Just need to fabricate a bracket and the tube from the supercharger to the intake, get a longer belt. I actually mounted mine backwards, so it runs on the back side of the belt which made me have to make a new pulley. The only reason was I didn't want to give up any comforts of my car. So if you don't have a/c you'd have no problem mounting it there.

Comment

what sould I get the charger off of or does it matter I looked up that MR2 supercharger and it was just like a electric turbo that you mount in your air intake http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...spagenameZWD1V (---Link to the supercharger imtalking about but do you ahve any pic's of your setup??

Comment

Try looking up a SC12 or SC14. Here's web site with a lot of pics of the supercharger itself:

http://www.mr2supercharger.com/SCblowers.html
                Last edited by North Cali Autocrosser; 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris88bird
                  what sould I get the charger off of or does it matter I looked up that MR2 supercharger and it was just like a electric turbo that you mount in your air intake http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Super...spagenameZWD1V (---Link to the supercharger imtalking about but do you ahve any pic's of your setup??
                  DONT BUY THAT!!! Those electric ones are junk and a scam. I could build you one like that for about $50, and it would do the same as the e-bay one---absolutly nothing.

If you want to go an inexpensive route, you will have to do the work yourself. If you can fabricate, it will cost you around $1000 using e-bay parts to turbo a car.

How do I know?...
                  http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=81172
                  I need to get some photos uploaded of the finished product.

If you live in the area of SouthFL, I can fab a S/C or turbo for you...
                  Last edited by Forced_Firebird; 06-17-2007, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by North Cali Autocrosser
                    Try looking up a SC12 or SC14. Here's web site with a lot of pics of the supercharger itself:

http://www.mr2supercharger.com/SCblowers.html
                    Looking at that link makes it seem like a simple fab job ;). Good find. Most guys use the EatonM90's, probably because they are a dime a dozen. You can get an Eaton for about $150, but it wouldn't be as simple as yours.

Comment

I figured it was a scam for that I mean look at the chincy pease of Shiznit, lol but would a supercharger off of like a 3.8 work or is it to diffrent im sorry but I know nothing of this subject and trying to learn and I will be doing all of my own work I think thats best so I know its done right I dont relly trust the shops around my place in minnesota. thanks for the help guys/gals..

Comment

With the right amount of fabrication you can make anything work, some are just a lot easier than others. The 3.8 supercharger can work but the throttle body mounts on the opposite end from the pulley, meaning it's gonna be against your firewall.

Comment

With the right amount of fabrication you can make anything work, some are just a lot easier than others. The 3.8 supercharger can work but the throttle body mounts on the opposite end from the pulley, meaning it's gonna be against your firewall.
                          Yep, it is easier to fab the Eaton (found on Fords S/C supercoup etc) because of that reason.

Comment

The 3.8 supercharger can work but the throttle body mounts on the opposite end from the pulley, meaning it's gonna be against your firewall.

it won't be against the firewall,it willbe THROUGH your firewall. the back of the 4th gen f-body intake came w/in about 2~3"of the firewall when I did the 3800 swap.
                            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                            94 comero 3.4

Comment

ok so the eaton, and one last question have anyone heard of having both?? or is that just to much air in the intake?? I'm currently talking with a fellow member here about helping me collect the parts and to help with the pipes with a turbo but im still not shure, I do like the sound of a supercharger but what one relly is better which one producess more power at the end of the proccess??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X