exhaust ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust ideas?

so im planning to get my 350 in my 83 soon i was wondering if u guys know any good true duel setups for these 3rd gens...im thinkin true dual side exits how could i do that? any other ideas are welcome, thanks.

Re: exhaust ideas?

drop b4 the axle w/ dual flowmasters...
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

what exactly do u mean by drop b4 axle? and what flowmasters? 40,80 amreican thunder?

Comment

I know that many people who have done duels on a third gen have had ground clearance issues. There is really only room to fit one pipe properly under the car. You may bea able to put two pipes side by side. I would go headers and a 3" exhaust at most then a cat-back. Dynomax make all the piping to go from the cat to the tips. I would also at least get a highflow cat or delete it, I got mine deleted and my 2.8 sounds so much better than before. Much louder and deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmachine
          what exactly do u mean by drop b4 axle? and what flowmasters? 40,80 amreican thunder?
          2 flowmaster 40 series, (very inexpensive), headers -> straight pipe -> mufflers just before the axle then just have little turn-downs before the axle

Cheap and easy setup, had it on a 305 and it sounded great
          1999 Camaro Z/28
          1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8RS
            I know that many people who have done duels on a third gen have had ground clearance issues. There is really only room to fit one pipe properly under the car. You may bea able to put two pipes side by side. I would go headers and a 3" exhaust at most then a cat-back. Dynomax make all the piping to go from the cat to the tips. I would also at least get a highflow cat or delete it, I got mine deleted and my 2.8 sounds so much better than before. Much louder and deeper.
            cat will get da boot lol as my car will be exempt from emmissions being that its a antique now i want true duel for sure...ill take any good suggestions for it to work

Comment

car may be exempt from nazi e-check, but having no cat is a federaly no-no. at least have some special cats to give the look of legality ( i had one on my 77t/a and it made the exhaust deeper/mellower). I've seen true dualls set up for 4th gens running the same way as regular exaust, adn I've seen one setup for a third gen w/the pipes exiting out by the pass rear at an angle, really slick.
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

im lookin into true duels with side exits in front of the rear tires...how could i make that work?

Comment

Many years ago when the 3rd gen Fs were the in thing, I saw a magazine article (can't remember which rag it was) where the guy ran 2 oval shaped exhaust pipes down the length of the driveshaft tunnel. As soon as they get up to the rear axle they (the pipes) can be routed a variety of ways.
                  Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

I do know that there was an option on IROCs that was called the duel cat option. It was basically duel exhaust after the y-pipe.

Comment

they also make headers with dual cats on the headers for 3rd gens too i beleive...so i could have 2 strait pipes going out to mufflers then out the side...

Comment

do you need cat's in Texas?
                        1999 Camaro Z/28
                        1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

im not 100% sure its exempt from emmissions but i hear u still have to have 1...sounds dumb but its what i hear...if it was exempt i would think u dont have to have a cat

Comment

My buddy put true duals on his 89 iroc. not gonna lie it was a big pain in the @$$. I believe he bought a kit, don't know witch it was about six years ago. He used a couple of small high flow cats from jegs and brought it right down the factory channel. You'll have to tach weld the pipes together with some small brackets so they dont rattle. your best bet (unless you have experience and equipment) is to take it into a muffler shop.

Comment

cheah no kiddin lol...im just gettin ideas, i already have a shop lined out...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X