shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifter

well i got my 83 home the other day...the shifter will not go into park and hardly ever clicks into other gears and wont allow the key to come out the shifter dont feel right at all and you dont have to press the button to shift, its an auto 3 speed by the way...suggestions? also when u try to drive off it wont stay running, i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running and cant let off w/out it dying, my dad says its probly the carb...

Re: shifter

I cant answer your shifting question but the car cutting off if its not getting gas i can agree with your dad on the carburetor... Had an 86 transam was my pops he gave it to me had been sitting for five years but passed inspection the year before it started sitting i got to it did a bit of tuning up and it ran fine but i was having idling problems and sputtering problems... took it to my school shop and they put a new choke on the carburetor and it fixed everything. I wasnt at class when they did the choke so i dont know of anything else they did but they said thats all they did and it ran fine.

Comment

Sounds like there is a linkage problem. If the key won't come out when in "park" then the cable that attaches to the shifter isn't moving enough to unlock it, there is a seperate cable on the shifter that runs to the lock cylinder. Maybe the shifter has come loose or the cable to the trans is on wrong or loose. Or just the piece inside the handle has broke not allowing the button to work properly.
      91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

well we fixed the shifting problem but theres still a problem getting the key out...the guy that had the car put a new key lock on it, looks like a do it yourself they sell at autozone...it wont allow the key to come out and wont turn to lock or acc

Comment

might need to pull it then & see what went wrong. The $10 tool used is a must for this. pretty easy swap once you get into it.
          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
          94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go
            might need to pull it then & see what went wrong. The $10 tool used is a must for this. pretty easy swap once you get into it.
            the tool used to install the key lock? if so what is this tool and where u get it?

Comment

holy book haynes doesn't have the name of the tool, but in thier book, w/the white Firebird on the cover, it's on page 11-13, fig 24.9
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

STEERING WHEEL LOCK-PLATE REMOVER AND INSTALLER

here's a pic of the tool

2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

so where do u get it?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X