Going to do an Engine Swap. Need a lil help. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to do an Engine Swap. Need a lil help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to do an Engine Swap. Need a lil help.

Sup folks, I'm going to be swappin my 89 Camaro RS 2.8 to my 90 Camaro RS. Never did an engine swap before. What do I need to disconnect wiring wise etc. etc. in order to get the engine out? Do all the wires go into 1 connector to the harness or will i have to disconnect every wire seperately? thanks for any help.

----------------------------------------

im a n00b. i ask n00bish questions.

Re: Going to do an Engine Swap. Need a lil help.

anything connected to the engine will need to be disconnected. make it simple for yourself and label everything. i know on newer cars no two connectors are the same so you cant mess up and put the wrong one somewhere it's not supposed to go but im not too sure about an older car. just label everything. if your not too familiar with engine compnents label everything by numbers. like take a piece of tape and put a number on the connector and the same number on where it plugs into. that way when you put the it in and connecting everything 1 goes with 1 5 goes with 5 and so on. makes it really simple. also take a lot of pictures so you have something to revert back to if you get lost somewhere. if you get stuck just ask. lots of knowledgeable people on here
    '99 Camaro Y87 M5 T-tops
    Flowmaster american thunder cat back, 2.5" magnaflow high flow cat, centerforce dual friction clutch

Car Domain

Comment

Thank you. Yea I guess I will do that since I dont have too much knowledge of what ever vacuum line etc. etc. name is. lol. Maybe there's a pic out there that would number everything with a description. Gotta get a Haynes (think thats what its called) book from AID.

Comment

im going to move this to 3rd gen. 3.4slow to go is the local motor swapping mofo. he should be able to lend you good advice.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

the 2.8, iirc, doesn't have any place for the knock sensor to go.

Other than that (which will throw a code or more) take the intake manifold assembly off the 3.1 and put on the 2.8. Now would be a good time to think about putting in a new rear main seal, timing chain, and waterpump. ALso verify that the connectors on the oil filter adaptor are the same.

Use new motor mounts, don't rush, and we're here for help.

edit: CamaroRSZ28SS, I'll be unavailable most of the week until friday for IM, sorry
          Last edited by 3.4 slow to go; 10-01-2006, 08:07 PM.
          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
          94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X