Worth the modifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth the modifications?

Hi folks! Lately I've been going through my '89 Fbird (2.8) fixing little odds and ends while freshining things up and it seems to be a pretty solid machine at 135k and runs really good. Only thing is I keep reading how these 2.8's really arent capable of much. I'm a young'in and not rich by any stretch so the money that I've saved up is either going in to this Firebird or in to my Turbo Coupe Thunderbird (73k,loaded,awesome shape).

So far I've been researching quite a bit but I would like some opinions from fellow v6'ers. I plan on a CAI,,underdrive pulley kit,ecu tune,pace headers,dynomax exhaust and a high flow cat along with an upgraded ignition like coil/wires&plugs etc and top it off with an aluminum driveshaft. The firebird has the A4 automatic transmission which would recieve some TLC as well (if not a full rebuild a good quality shift kit and cooler atleast)

Now obviously it wont be eating corvettes,but I've seen what the 2.3 turbos can do and am far more familiar with them than I am the 2.8 although I'd much rather have a fast(er) sporty firebird instead of a fast grany mobile... Ya know what I'm saying? Roughly the same would be done to the thunderbird if ya'll think I'd be wasting my money on the 2.8. Engine swaps are out of the question unless someone would be kind enough to come over to my house and help me :) . The 2.3 turbos are very durable motors from what I've seen... Can the same be said for the FI 2.8 in my '89 Fbird?

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Re: Worth the modifications?

cain we [ducks & hides] assume[/ducks & hides] that you've already read up on the TomP tune up sticky? http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=43145 weight reduction, get your injectors, or a spare set hooked up @ http://www.cruzinperformance.com/ , the rest, and save your custom prom for last, to take advantage of all other upgrades. Look up Doward &/or daves12secv6 from tgo for their turbo kits if you really want that extra ummmph you're looking for. I think Dowards cain be bought piec meal if you cain't afford teh whole kit at once.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

I've done everything except the rear axle fluid stuff and I'd prefer to stay away from forced induction because I'm not planing on replacing any engine internals nor do I want to destroy any. I dont think I'm clever or crafty enough to fab up a turbo setup. I'm thinking just a bunch of simple bolt ons (+a little nitrous maybe?) to get what I can out of this 2.8. I'll get around to having the rear axle fluid replaced along with a full seafoam treatment soon.

Comment

a good base tune, and weight reduction will benifit you the most w/o having to add power
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X