High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Idle

I have a 91 Camaro RS 3.1L v6 - When I start the car the rpm's immediately jump up to 3000 if not slightly higher and holds there for a minute and then drops down to an idle of 2000-2200.

I did a complete tuneup including: Spark Plugs, Ignition wires, Distributor Cap & Rotor, PCV valve, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Oil and Oil filter. I purchased a new oxygen sensor, but I was not able to remove the old one, so I am going to have it done at the exhaust shop.

I checked all of the vacuum hoses that I could see and all seems to be in order. The only thing I can think of is the exhaust sounds really clogged up and rattles to high heaven. I plan to have the muffler and cat. converter replaced this weekend.

Also, I seem to have a problem with my oil pressure guage, when the car starts up, the guage will travel all the way to the right past the 80 mark, and after its ran for a minute it will stay move just between the middle mark and 80 - sometimes it will bouce around erratically.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by ResonateEcho; 04-05-2006, 03:29 PM.
    <b>Vehicle Information</b></font><ul type=\"square\"><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Car:</b> 1991 Chevy Camaro RS</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Engine:</b> 3.1L V6 MPFI</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Mods:</b> Flowmaster , K&N CAI, Optima Battery, 180amp Alt</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>System:</b> Alpine HU | Planet Audio Mids & Highs | 3 Cerwin Vega V-Max 12DVC Subs | Boss 3KD.1 & Crossfire 400.4 Amps</font></li></ul><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Re: High Idle

double check your vac lines agian, and check your throttle linkage, also check if your IAC is bad. run it with a scan tool of some kind and see what the iac possion is, if that is bad, it will read 260(stuck open) 0 or close to it will be a vac. leak, 30 is about right
    --1986 Firebird M5-- TEAM RED

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2109812

Comment

Like redbird said I would check the IAC. Pull it out and check that it's clean and that where it seats in the throttle body is clean. When you check your vac lines there should be one on the passenger side that comes across the valve cover that is plastic, mine melted on the bottom side and though it looked fine it had a fat hole on the bottom side.
      91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

I will check the IAC tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Does this effect the oil pressure guage issue too?

Thanks.
        <b>Vehicle Information</b></font><ul type=\"square\"><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Car:</b> 1991 Chevy Camaro RS</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Engine:</b> 3.1L V6 MPFI</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>Mods:</b> Flowmaster , K&N CAI, Optima Battery, 180amp Alt</font></li><li><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><b>System:</b> Alpine HU | Planet Audio Mids & Highs | 3 Cerwin Vega V-Max 12DVC Subs | Boss 3KD.1 & Crossfire 400.4 Amps</font></li></ul><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

The oil pressure sounds like something else non related. For it to bounce erratically it's probably a bad wire or the electrical plug isn't fitting tightly.
          91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

That sounds better than the oil pressure actually jumping around like that. I was afraid I was going to have to take apart the motor to fix it.

Comment

trust me on this one, its the pressure guage sender, im on my third from napa, save your self the trouble and get a dealer sender. its on the oil filter houseing on the drivers side, has one YELLOW wire going to it, and little to no oil will come out when its unscrewed., new it will read like 40 for a few days then after that, it will read more like 20ish when warmed up at idle
              --1986 Firebird M5-- TEAM RED

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2109812

Comment

Check your gaskets Ive became the king of high idle.. IT SUCK!!!!.. I had to replace my Intake manifold gasket to get rid of my 3k idle.. Check out i can almost guarantee its your issue.. let us know how it goes man
                John<br />Flowmaster custom piping, K&N intake and filter, catco high clow cat, stage II clutch, More to come.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2036060\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2036060</a>

Comment

any update(s)?
                  Last edited by 3.4 slow to go; 04-18-2006, 05:31 PM.
                  1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                  94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X