Ignition Key Won't Pull Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Key Won't Pull Out

Driving my '91 Firebird, I was waiting at a red light, playing with the shifter handle button.
    I noticed that the shifter button felt real gummy when I expected it to click back normally but that was the beginning of this problem.

It is my understanding that the shifter handle assembly must be in good mechanical condition for the key to be released properly when thrown into Park.

I pulled over and shut off the motor to take it apart but the key was not in position to be removed. It was like stuck between the insertion and Start position. I figured I now have breakage within the ignition lock cylinder.
    So out came the tiny metal retaining clip, lifted the shifter handle and pulled out what used to be white, a gunked up plastic actuator rod.
    I thoughly cleaned the rod out & I shot a few squirts of penetrating lube ( Deep Creep ) in the shifter handle hole and into the shifter button to loosen any grime that may have caused the actuators spring action to seize on me.

So my question is this, does anyone have a spare in good working condition I may be able to find for purchase?
    I will be scouring Ebay later today.
    I reassembled the shifter handle assembly and the actuation seems ok but not to my liking. The ignition key can be removed more often now.
    I think this is a discontinued item from GM but below is a pic of what I'm talking about.

[ October 24, 2005, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: 96RS Alex ]
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

If your unable to get a replacement and as long as you can still shift without a problem you can disconnect the park lock cable and set it to the full in position so you can remove your key.
    91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

I never knew I could do that cable disconnection in this situation.
      I guess I have to remove the entire shifter console right ( disconnect ashtray and move out the shifter leather boot of the way ) ?
      I took a look at my Chiltons 1982-92 Manual for the specified cable ( pg 8-17 ) and it does not comment at all on the procedure but I get the gist of the idea.
      Though it seems easy, I need step by step D.I.Y. info, this will be my 1st time.
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

2 screws under front of console lid, one in the ash tray area, remove teh retaining clip on shifter (looks like a big staple), lift carefully, disconnect light for console selector shifter

I think that's it from memory
        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4 slow to go:
          2 screws under front of console lid, one in the ash tray area, remove teh retaining clip on shifter (looks like a big staple), lift carefully, disconnect light for console selector shifter

I think that's it from memory
          Sounds right to me.

Comment

The procedure worked for me, thanks guys! Finally got around to it after a month.

Oh by the way, I found an old scrappy looking joint or "pinner" underneath the console. I dont think the THC would be potent by now.

Makes me think the previous owner knew where to successfully hide it lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X