buying a third gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a third gen

So I'm getting sick of having a slow car. I love the look of the 4th gens, but the 3rd gens have been growing on me lately. I've been trying to find stats on their 0-60's and 1/4 mile times for the various body styles and motors. Does anybody have the info or know of a good legit website that would list stuff for 3rd gen RS, IROC-Z, and the IROC-Z8's? Also any info for the TA's and formula firebirds would be helpful too.

Thanks
    1993 3.4L camaro<br />bright red, t-tops, homemade CAI<br /><br />\"thats not funny, that god damn racoon, just be glad you left tire marks over his body for screwin up your car\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/794378\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/794378</a>

www.thirdgen.org

and this forum
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Whatever you do, if you say you're sick of a "slow" car DO NOT buy an RS of anytype then unless you come across the rare B4C with the 350 TPI.

My old 94 3.4 M5 could spank thirdgen V6's and L03 RS's (305 TBI motors). They are DOGS.

I really think you should get an L98 equipped thirdgen - the 350 TPI because if you don't, 5.0 mustangs will be eating you for lunch and so will 3800 II Fbodies unless you do more than bolt ons.
      -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I would almost agree with that except in that the 305 TPI (not TBI but TPI) was almost as good as the 350TPI. The 305 TBI was slow as a turd but you will NEVER find a 350TPI with a manual trans, only the 305 TPIs were mated to the T5s. Any TPI version will be fine and there is a great aftermarket for them so you can have some fun!

Comment

Agreed. My friend has an 86 T/A thats in good shape and the only way he can barely inch me out is from a dig. But if we do even like a 50mph roll on, he's done. An interstate race...forget it...and this was all before my cam.

The thing that kills the 305 V8's with the 700-R4's is the 2.73 peg leg rears...

Another friend of mine has a near stock 92 Z28 M5 and he's never ran below a 15.4 with the car at the track, while I ran that consistent before the cam. Just saying in stock form, or with minor bolt ons, they are mid 15 second cars. Nothing to write home about in today's world.
          -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Jerriko:
            I would almost agree with that except in that the 305 TPI (not TBI but TPI) was almost as good as the 350TPI. The 305 TBI was slow as a turd but you will NEVER find a 350TPI with a manual trans, only the 305 TPIs were mated to the T5s. Any TPI version will be fine and there is a great aftermarket for them so you can have some fun!
            the tbi can be built up (the only difference between the 4bbl 140 hp lg4 and the 170 hp lo3 it the tbi) one of my friends has a 91 rs 305 5 speed, we replaced the 305 tbi with a 350 tbi from a silverado, with stock heads and cam and aftermarket headers and it runs 14.3 @
            90somthin
            and if I was to get a tpi,the first thing i'd get is a short runner intake manifold(like a tpis mini ram, holley d port, or even a modified lt1 intake)
            Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by wolf:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jerriko:
              the tbi can be built up (the only difference between the 4bbl 140 hp lg4 and the 170 hp lo3 it the tbi) one of my friends has a 91 rs 305 5 speed, we replaced the 305 tbi with a 350 tbi from a silverado, with stock heads and cam and aftermarket headers and it runs 14.3 @
              90somthin
              and if I was to get a tpi,the first thing i'd get is a short runner intake manifold(like a tpis mini ram, holley d port, or even a modified lt1 intake)
              </font>[/QUOTE]Sure, anything can be built up but you get more out of the TPIs.

Comment

So what I should be looking for, from the sounds of things, is a 350TPI. Which models came with it stock? Also, does anybody know what kind of numbers that puts out for power and 1/4 mile?
                1993 3.4L camaro<br />bright red, t-tops, homemade CAI<br /><br />\"thats not funny, that god damn racoon, just be glad you left tire marks over his body for screwin up your car\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/794378\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/794378</a>

Comment

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/techdb.shtml
                  2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

I had a 91 RS (305 tbi w/auto trans) and yeah...that car had no power at all. I use to get so mad because I had a v8 under the hood but yet 4 cyl blew me away. I like my 87 Camaro though, its got a 305 TPI with a 5-speed tranny. The difference is night and day, its a lot faster. I'm sure the 5-speed helps out. I would always look at the 8th digit on the VIN which will tell you what engine is in the car. It seems like everytime I've looked at Camaros (3rd gen) everyone says "yeah...its got a 350"
                    2006 Tiburon

Comment

no matter what you get, first mod should be a TomP tuneup, and second should be sub frames.
                      2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Just a tip to look for, look for rust, espeicially near the shock mounts...

friend of mine recently had some trouble with rust in the shock mounts on a 3rd gen he bought..
                        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

I dont thing trouble quite says it all. His shock mount was completely rusted out, the shock was no longer attached to the car. You could look back there and see it bouncing around. Also it was a 305tbi and was slower than my 3.8. he sold that car to a guy at work that is thinking of mini tubbing the car so that would have to be rebuilt anyway.
                          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

1991-1992 305 5 speed TPI car were the ones to get..
                            Jeff ..
                            1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                            2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                            1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                            http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

good luck finding a 91-92 m5 tpi
                              --1986 Firebird M5-- TEAM RED

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2109812

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X