Someone help my baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone help my baby!

I just bought a 1989 Camaro RS a year ago. Its a 2.8 L v6. I know its not the fastest car but i love it. Things have gone very bad. The acceleration has gotten really bad. And when im driving and i let go of the gas to coast a bit when I hit the gas again and as soon as the RPMs reach 2000 they drop to 1000 it stays there. I have to mash the pedal for the RPMs to go past 2000. Even then it runs bad. The cars in my garage now. In the meantime Im driving a mustang I feel so dirty. If anyone out there has any idea on what could be wrong please tell me. Help me get out of the mustang and back into my Camaro.

Thanks in advance

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I feel so dirty <hr></blockquote>
    [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

You should probably check in with the 3rd Gen. guys, they'd probably know more to help you out.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Since it is a 89 have you changed the fuel filter? Sounds like it could be cloged?

How about the injectors? Ever been cleaned?

Plugs changed?

New plug wires?

Could be lots of stuff. What have you done, or not done to the car so far?
      Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

I'd also check your catylitic converter. If it appears to be glowing red after driving,you definately know it's clogged.
        2000 Silver Firebird<br />1988 Maroon GTA

Comment

IS the tranny shifting like it should? Maybe your stuck in a high gear or something. If tranny checks out ok then check Air filter fuel filter and cat converter.

Comment

Also check the PCV valve and maybe the fuel filter is just dirty. I would also have your transmission fluid and filter change as well.

This happened to my 98 after having it smogged. The computer got the messed up a bit but it was ok in while.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Have now worries. I think I know what it is. Replace your coil. About 4 months ago i had the exact thing happen to me. if you barely hit the gas, everything seemed fine, but if you step on it acceleration is crappy, it pops, farts and eventually gets there. Also, if this is the case you'll probably want to get your exhaust system looked at because if you have a bad coil, you are not lighting off every cylinder every time and dumping raw fuel into the cat, causing it to heat up, melt and clog. Good Luck, hope this helps

Comment

maybe the TCC is screwing up. take it to a tranny place & see if they do "free" testing, or at least test at a reasonable price.
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X