UD pulleys question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD pulleys question

I want to order the ASP underdrive pulleys, 25% crank and 23% alternator... The question my brother brought up: Since the car is cooled by fluid, what affect would slower the accessories (such as the water pump) have on the engine? I know the benefits of the pulleys... Im just askin for any problems anyones encountered.
    Thanks
    AIM: ChevyGuy1022<br />Email:ChevyGuy1022@swfla.rr.com<p>\'91 Camaro RS<br />K&N Filtered CCAI<br />Bosch Plat 4+ plugs

I've had that set for a year now and have only had one small problem. Since its slowing the alternator, when I used the A/C on full and drove in downtown traffic, sometimes the charge level would fall to where the CD player would stop working. When that happened, I'd go on the freeway for a while and it would charge up fine.

I think 91Firebird had some more serious problems.....

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Bad91Bird ]</p>
    Formerly \"Firebird Type R\"<br />1991 Firebird with some stuff....<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=347593\" target=\"_blank\">My car domain page</a>

Comment

Yeah, I had some problems with the ASP pulleys (I got the crank and alt set). It got so bad I had to take them off.

What happened was that the charge would get too low and when I would get to a stoplight for example, the rpm would dip way down and the car would just shut off and I'd have to re-start the car. Also, at night, the headlights and gauge lights would flicker because of the low power which got annoying. So the pulleys pretty much killed the alternator, after I got a new alternator I made sure to lightly hold my foot on the gas when at a stoplight so the car would get enough charge. Soon after I got tired of worrying about getting stuck somewhere on my way to college, and wondering how long the alternator would last, so I put the stock pulleys back on.

You asked about the effect on other accessories, my mechanic told me that using the pulleys would speed up the accessories and they may overheat (he mentioned the water pump as an example).

Even though I now have the stock ones on, I still have a problem with the car now overcharging (which btw, fried my amplifier, which is out of warrantee). I have taken it to a few different mechanics and they cannot figure out how to fix it. I am taking it in again this thursday to have someone look at it.

When I have enough money to get a fourth gen, I might try putting on just the crank pulley on my third gen and see what happens, but right now this is my only ride and I don't want to risk messing it up again.

So here is my suggestion for you 91CamaroRS:
      If you have another car in your garage that isn't being used when you have to get to school/work (in case you have problems with the Camaro), then I'd say go for just the crank pulley. If your Camaro is your only car, I would stay away from the pulleys especially if you have stereo equipment in there and spend your money on other mods.
      <a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1991 Firebird - 3.1L V6</a> with custom K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Sony CD, MTX 4-ch amp, 2 MTX 10\" subs, Sony & Polk speakers, Eagle Wheels<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1997 Firebird Trans Am</a> with T-Tops, Panasonic CD, Alpine Speakers, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and Lingenfelter CAI.

Comment

Many thanks to both of you.
        I've read onabout the pulleys since the post and I haven't really found anything good except the small power gain. With your guys' help I figure I'll stay away from them and just go for ignition mods to help the engine run a little cleaner, MSD equipment and such. Thanks again guys. [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
        AIM: ChevyGuy1022<br />Email:ChevyGuy1022@swfla.rr.com<p>\'91 Camaro RS<br />K&N Filtered CCAI<br />Bosch Plat 4+ plugs

Comment

Have you tried just bypassing certain accesories, like the smog pump or a/c commpressor? Smog pump is easy just a 91.5 inch belt will do it. Not sure on the a/c haven't done it yet but it can be done with a little re-routing of the belt.
          91 Firebird 3.1<br />SC12 Supercharger<br />LSD w/ 3.73s<br />NOS 80hp wet shot<br />AKA: Phoenix<br />\"If Speed Kills...Consider Me Dead.\"

Comment

i've never had any problem with mine on my 3.4 but i only have the crank pulley on.

Comment

I have both the crank and alternator pullies on and have NO problems whatsoever.

I even have a pretty powerful sound system (2 amps for the 4 components and 2 12" subs) and have not experienced any problems.
              E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X