Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on K&N air-filter

Thanks for the replies.

After talking to my local U.S. car dealer I have put the K&N RE-0810 cone filter straight onto the throttle body. The car seems to be breathing better, more responsive and you get an audible 'whoosh'. The only thing that seems to be different is that it takes about 5 minutes longer to get to idle speed and a little less tolerant in high gears at about 1500 rpm.

Can any one think of any problems with this set-up?
    Neil R Selkirk

cone filter directly on the tb. you speed density people make me sick [img]tongue.gif[/img] really couldn't think of any reasons on the change in idle quality. in fast food drive thru voice "Did you get any codes with that"
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

What do you mean 'speed density'? Hey man, I'm just learning and takin' advice!. Also, what's the drive thru part with 'codes'

Anyway, my exhaust is the original and have been told that putting an I-ROC exhaust (Flowmaster - part 17234) will be better.

What do you think?
      Neil R Selkirk

Comment

85-87(?) MAF- Mass Air Flow , it's the type of fuel injected system the cars use

88(?)-92(?) Speed Density, the other type of FI used.

both systems use MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors, but the MAF systems use the MAF sesnsor. It's easier to explain if you do a search on them. ASk me no questions, I'll tell you no lies ;)

For exhaust, is the flowmaster the right p/n for your car? I got the dynomax system, mostly because it cost only $154 & I just drove out to Jegs & got it
        codes- imagine someone asking you if you want fries with that, & just substitute what I said. :D
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

MAP...... AHHH !!!

3.4 I think we need to talk..
          85 Firebird 172k mi.

Comment

I got codes 32 - EGR ( Exhaust Gas Recirculaion System) Failed ! .. uhh dont know what to do to fix..( been reading about it though )

and code 34-

MAP - Volts Lo / Vac Hi
            MAF - gm / sec hi

hmm..well after a few minutes of reading I think got it down.

for the MAP and or MAF error (both labeld #34 in my manual) Im gonna change the map sensor.. sound right to you ?

as for the egr.. hmm Im gonna read a bit more. but tell me what you think.
            85 Firebird 172k mi.

Comment

this is where my $45 dollar investment will come in handy!!!!!

what is this $45 investment you ask?, well it's a 1985 Pontiac Firebird Service Manual, complete w/troublecode diagnosing :D [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

damnit !.. I forgot about that one on ebay.. SOB

.. edit: aw man.. it ended for $13.36 !!

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: Sean R ]</p>
                85 Firebird 172k mi.

Comment

hey, about that k&n on the throttle body, the only problems i can think of is that the car is getting that hot air from under the hood. that entire area is isolated from outside air, which is cooler and more dense.actually, this probably won't matter if you still have the coolant lines attatched to your throttle body...these heat up the incoming air. also, what did you do about the breather hose that runs from the accordion tube to the passenger side valve cover?
                  In a perfect world, F-bodies would prowl the streets forever while rice rockets would be discontinued. LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR!

Comment

oh yeah, forgot to mention that i had a k&n cone filter on the end of my accordion tube, and i felt a small seat-of-the-pants increase, but my dad messed with it and it ended up falling off sometime while it was being driven.40 bucks down the drain, and the car was driven without a filter for a while
                    In a perfect world, F-bodies would prowl the streets forever while rice rockets would be discontinued. LONG LIVE THE AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X