My experience with aftermarket pulleys. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My experience with aftermarket pulleys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with aftermarket pulleys.

I had purchased the ASP pulleys (crank and alt set) a few weeks ago and installed them. The charge of the alternator was a little low with the new pulleys. I finally decided to take them off and put the stock ones back on because right now reliability is more important than small power gains with my commute to college. After I took them off, the alternator started overcharging, just about one line away from the red area. The gauge would jump all over the place and if I had my headlights on they would go dim and then bright again and back and forth. Just a few days later the car felt like it was going to shut off when I was not on the throttle. I went to Pep Boys this morning and got my battery and alternator checked and they said everything was fine, but the problems usually don't begin until a few minutes after I start the car. I still thought there was something wrong with the alternator so I got a new one and installed it this morning and now everything works perfectly. Fortunately the alternator was free because there was a lifetime warrantee on it. I only had to pay the diagnostic fee.

So anyway, from my experience I would recommend not messing with your pulleys. The aftermarket pulleys have been only a problem for me. If you have another car that you could rely on if something goes wrong with your f-body, then I'd say go for it, but if your third gen is your only car and your daily driver like mine is, I would stay away from the pulleys. Just thought I'd let you guys know so you can avoid the trouble I had to go through.
    <a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1991 Firebird - 3.1L V6</a> with custom K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Sony CD, MTX 4-ch amp, 2 MTX 10\" subs, Sony & Polk speakers, Eagle Wheels<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1997 Firebird Trans Am</a> with T-Tops, Panasonic CD, Alpine Speakers, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and Lingenfelter CAI.

I guess this is another example of what I've heard about just using the crank pullies, and getting the alt. sorry it crapped out for you [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X