ASP Pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASP Pulleys

I got my pulley set in the mail today (crank and alternator set). Me and my dad installed it and I had a few questions. First, can changing the pulleys mess up the timing at all? We checked the timing after the installation and it is at 16. Also, should I be worried about the alternator? At idle, the needle is a line or two below the 13 mark. My dad thinks the alternator is not getting enough charge because of these pulleys, but I don't think their was any difference before with the original pulleys. So what do you think? Is this ok for the alternator? Thanks!
    <a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1991 Firebird - 3.1L V6</a> with custom K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Sony CD, MTX 4-ch amp, 2 MTX 10\" subs, Sony & Polk speakers, Eagle Wheels<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1997 Firebird Trans Am</a> with T-Tops, Panasonic CD, Alpine Speakers, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and Lingenfelter CAI.

timing is controlled by the timing chain under the front cover. really don't have an answer as to why the timimng advanced,.....unless it's spinning faster..did your engine rpm change any?

As for the alt, one of a few solutions:
    1. This is normal for underdrive pullies. Rev the engine. some alts need to get to a certain rpm to "excite" the voltage regulator to kick in.

2. This is normal, & light should go away under higher thana idle rpms. If you have a "loud/above average" sound system, either install a boomer cap or put origonal alt pulley back on.

The reason for the light coming on is that now the alt is sspinning x% slower than normal, and not fully getting up to the voltage needed.

3. Get a higher output alt. this is usually about $160 for a 140amp alt, but should get rid of that pesky low voltage light.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

I just purchased some JET Performance pulleys, they are in the mail. I hope I dont have any problems with them. I will purchase the higher amp alt. Where can I find one? The largest the local autoparts store carries is the 105amp.
      [*]<b>Car: </b>1991 CHEVY CAMARO RS<br />[*]<b>Engine: </b> 3.1lt (191ci) V6 - MPFI<br />[*]<b>Stereo: </b> Alpine 7995 H/U | Eclipse 21000 EQ | BOSS IQ 3000w Amp | Crossfire AB 400watt Amp | 3 AudioBahn 12\" D/V Subs | Planet Audio 4x6\'s & 6x9\'s

Comment

Jegs, Summit, P.A.W., Northern-Auto parts, car parts .com, etc........

oh yeah, even try JC Whitney
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

also check this out: this
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Ok, thank you 3.4 slow to go for the information. I drove it quite a bit today and it seems to run well.
            <a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1991 Firebird - 3.1L V6</a> with custom K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Sony CD, MTX 4-ch amp, 2 MTX 10\" subs, Sony & Polk speakers, Eagle Wheels<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1997 Firebird Trans Am</a> with T-Tops, Panasonic CD, Alpine Speakers, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and Lingenfelter CAI.

Comment

I have had a sligt problem with this set.....
              When its really hot out I'll drive with the A/C blasting, the CD player on, and I'm in stop and go traffic for about two miles to work. This wouldn't let the battery recharge, so after a few days of this I needed a jump. Then I took it on the freeway for an hour and it was fine after that.......

Time for some dyno numbers Brandon. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                5 days ago
              • ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                3 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X