LOUD TICKING NOISE - Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOUD TICKING NOISE - Please Help!

When my car warms up to around 150 degrees or more it begins to make this very loud clicking noise that sounds like is coming from under the car, near the engine / transmission linkage and sounds the same in every gear. This noise will fade away if the motor is reved up past 1500 rpm's. It is quiet when the car is started up in the morning, when the motor is cool.

The noise used to be low and It didnt bother me as much, but over the past couple of months, it has steadly gotten worse. It is very embarassing.

I have been told it could be a fractured flywheel or "Flex Plate", but I really didn't want to unbolt the tranmission if that wasnt really the problem. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue?
    [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
    [*]<b>Car: </b>1991 CHEVY CAMARO RS<br />[*]<b>Engine: </b> 3.1lt (191ci) V6 - MPFI<br />[*]<b>Stereo: </b> Alpine 7995 H/U | Eclipse 21000 EQ | BOSS IQ 3000w Amp | Crossfire AB 400watt Amp | 3 AudioBahn 12\" D/V Subs | Planet Audio 4x6\'s & 6x9\'s

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DigitalBee:
    This noise will fade away if the motor is reved up past 1500 rpm's. It is quiet when the car is started up in the morning, when the motor is cool.

The noise used to be low and It didnt bother me as much, but over the past couple of months, it has steadly gotten worse. It is very embarassing.

I have been told it could be a fractured flywheel or "Flex Plate", but I really didn't want to unbolt the tranmission if that wasnt really the problem.
    <hr></blockquote>

That does sound like transmission problem. Sorry I haven't gotten far in my Automotive Class to tell what exactly it is but I'm positive it is. So save up some cash and get that thing fix.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
      New Owner!
      by LETZRIDE
      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
      2 days ago
    • ssms5411
      Little work today
      by ssms5411
      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
      2 weeks ago
    • LETZRIDE
      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X