Exhaust Diameter Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Diameter Size

For those of you that have an after-market cat-back or who know the answer, what is the largest diameter that the exhaust can be? When I say exhaust I mean the piping from the cat-back. Can we go 3 inches or is that to much? Thanks

~Josh~
    1992 Firebird 3.1<br />16.61@80.70<br />CCAI With K&N Filter<br />DynoMax Cat-Back Exhaust<br />KYBs Shocks and Struts<br />Hotchkis Performance Coils<br />Everything else stock for now!!!

When I get the turbo on, I will go 3" from the turbo back (if it fits the way I want to route it). I f plans fall through, 2.5" with 2 1/4" tail pipes.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Since your car is basically stock, you will probably want to go a little smaller, such as 2.5". I replaced the exhaust tubing from 2.25" to 2.5 on my car. Unless you are planning on a turbo or supercharger which likes to a lot of air to breathe easier, you should probably go with 2.5". 3" is more for cars with bigger engines like a Trans Am.
      <a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1991 Firebird - 3.1L V6</a> with custom K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Sony CD, MTX 4-ch amp, 2 MTX 10\" subs, Sony & Polk speakers, Eagle Wheels<br /><br /><a href=\"http://home1.gte.net/res07t9s/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">My 1997 Firebird Trans Am</a> with T-Tops, Panasonic CD, Alpine Speakers, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and Lingenfelter CAI.

Comment

Yeah I agree, with 3" you'll lose some low end torque considerably. But once you go for big power adders like the blowers then 3" is good so that your car can breathe better.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Ooops. I have a 3 inch pipe from the random tech cat to the flowmasher 80 series muffler.
          I didn't notice any decrease in performance, but it was really loud for about 2000 miles. Now it sounds great.

Getting my Addco sway bars tomorrow. 1.75 inch front, 1.5 inch rear. :D Just a little huge. I'll have a review in a few days.

Comment

how much are they setting you back for? I've seen in AMES the Herb Adams sway bars with sphereical links, no bushings to ware out. that was $269

back to the topic....
            What is the diameter of the T-pipe onour cars? the flanges fit right up to the turbo & i caint find my tape measure or ruler.
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X