Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Turbo time....

Originally posted by bigairboarder44 View Post
    Is there any reason you're using crush-bent pipe instead of mandrel-bent?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D is why! It will work fine, just adds to lag time...

Id like to see what it would do N/A too, ill make sure i get in a run without the turbo first, low 16's is what im expecting in N/A form.

Comment

Heres the latest, I got the pipe to the turbo the way that i want it. I ended up buying a 90* bend and then putting it all together. Dont mind the ex. clamps as i only am useing them temporarly untill i have time to weld the joints up.

I was looking at the routing for the down pipe and seem to think the best direct route would be to take a 90* down from the turbo then another 90* bend straight back and intercept the exhaust pipe after where the cat, converter was. This would seem to be the easiest way and also not cause my ex flow to be worse then its already going to be.

I am going to loose a good 3 inches of ground clearence from running the pipes under the k-memeber, but this is mainly gonna be a track car, and i really dont drive it on any bad roads, if i do mess up the ex. i guess that will give me another excuse to to the exhaust over and hopefully i have more $$ by then!:rock:

This is a pretty site though, even though its a lil turbo.

Here the pipe to the turbo, i need to weld this stuff up though someday this week if i get time...

Comment

is there only one narrowband o2 sensor on your car?

Comment

yea right now, but i need to get a wide band before i can start it up and tune it. There so exspensive, so i gotta save up 200 bucks for one.

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddi View Post
            $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:D is why! It will work fine, just adds to lag time...
            I doubt you'll have much lag at all with that tiny turbo. Boost will probably be nearly instant with it on your 3.1L. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you choke it out up top pretty quickly.
            '99 Camaro
            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Yea it I was thinkning it would choke it up too. I know a buddy that but a b16(slightly bigger) he was spooled up at 3k easily and had to run high boost to keep it from droping off at high rpm boost. Had to run 18psi with the b16/ and ran 9psi on a ebay .50 trim t3/4 and achieved the same hp on a dyno. (this was on a 3.4L camaro.) Amaxing what a larger turbo is capible of.

Well see what happends, this is a learning experiece so that when i get a larger turbo i actually know what the hel$ im doing...

Comment

Im attempting to get the $59 bin and mask down pat since ive got the 3 bar map and 7730 ecu that works great with a $59 mask, but wow does it have alot more values then any $88 mask from a SD v6 thirdgen.:cry:

Putting the turbo on is sorta easy, compared to all of this, finally i got a great tune for my car in its N/A form and i decide to turbo it and throw all those tuned bin files in the trash!:spank:

Comment

Got the blow off valve 3 bar map, in the mail today!! Getting closer to having all the parts together, No i just gotta figure out this charge pipe IC set up and how to make it air tight!!! The $59 is staring to make more sence the more info i get on it!

Comment

I actually redid all the charge exhaust piping since i wasnt happy with it. Here it is now, much better clearence then before. This is just tack welded, and ya i know i put a dent in the 90* pipe but its too late now.

Comment

I found a good way to check for leaks in my pipes by filling them up with water, no need to plug the ends either just tilt the pipes so the water covers the inside welds. You will be surprised how much boost you can lose with a very small leak.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That looks nice. What kind of BOV did you get?

Comment

I ended up gettin this knock off, from ebay. Itll work for now.. For lower boost.
                          TYPE-RS BLUE JDM CNC TURBO BOV BLOW OFF VALVE UNIVERSAL

I like how you used a cuppler to soften the exhaust vibrations(grapesofrath)

After i welded it up well, I put this exhaust cement stuff i had on it(ive used it before and it held up really good if you apply it in a few layers). Manily to fill any little holes i didnt see or any inperfections since i like to weld but when it has to be air tight i get a little worried.

Comment

Heres the cheep ebay BOV

Comment

More pics, after i welded up the inlet exhaust piping, I also welded on the flange i made but didnt take a pic of that yet. Although there is a flange i made for the down piping, I havent made up the wastegate piping yet, but the hole is there for it on the flange i made. This turbo has a really weird downpipe, wastgate flange. I was a cheep skate and after spending 20+ bucks on the 90* bend for the charge exhaust piping, I ended up buying the 5$ cheep bend for the down pipe. I can only afford so much!.lol You also can see I applied a ton of that exhaust cement on the welds, Now i just have to paint the piping with some 2000F flat black paint.

Last edited by fasteddi; 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Current progress, with the downpipe flange and the charge exhaust piping complete. I am going to run the down pip all the way back to the center of the car. I still need to make up some pipe for the wastegate. Also 30lbs injectors are on there way, that should be enough for when i get a little bigger turbo since I doubt this lil thing will make over 225 Hp. But Id be happy running that!!! Keep in mind the 3.1L is 140Hp stock, I might have 155Hp with the cam and head work....

Just enought room to run the 2 1/2'' charge pipe over 90* and down 90* into where the purge cansister was to connect to the IC I also plan to put a 45* pipe for the intake/ cone airfilter.

Here you can see where the piping will intersect with the other exhaust piping, it will run straight back to where the pipe straightens out after the cat, converter.
                                Last edited by fasteddi; 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X