Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Turbo time....

Originally posted by fasteddi View Post
    the more you drive this car the less I relize how fast it really is!
    My uncle with his Vettes feel the same way. To him 600hp is not fast anymore and 800hp he got used to it too.

Comment

Yea the more you drive something fast the more you get use to it..

Well ive ran into a problem, the otherday I had a good tune and was romping on the car and (pop) went the drivers side headgasket. I know its not from detination as I had absolutly no spark knock, the tunes good for being conservitve/safe.

Anyways the car was getting hot and i kept temps under 220* which was hard, till i got home. I checked the oil and coolent and it looked ok, i just noticed it was really low on coolent. So I added new oil and coolent then started it up...and instant steam on the drivers side head, and there was now crap in the oil(milky as hel*).

So now i have to tear the motor down, inspect everything, flush the engine, and start over. Im almost positive that the head gaskets just went because..1. I reused the head bolts(thats stupid i know, but didnt know Id ever boost this engine), and 2. I used crappy head gaskets. So I learned a lesson thats for sure, and hopefully in a week or so, ill have her back up and running and have condfidence that the gaskets are good and that every thing is torqed down correct.

I heard that when you re-use those TTY head bolts that they tend to stretch, and even though the tq wrench says....60# or whatever your torqing then my...it actually is alot less then that. So im guessing the heads not being torqed properly, and crappy head gaskets just cost me more $$, time, and im freaking bummed out that this happen. But its part of the game i guess. Im learning still and im greatfull its just a gasket and not something major..

Comment

bummer... you might as well port and polish the heads since youre gonna be down there jk

Comment

I already did that 6 months ago, and added a nice lil cam.

I reused the head bolts and didnt chase the threads on those bolts so my gasket went really fast with 11 psi of bosot. I didnt know any better as boosting my car was like a spur of a moment thing. So i didnt plan on that. But anyways, I got most of the milky oil out, got the heads off and everything is ready for new gaskets, new bolts, and assembly. Took about 4 hours to tear her, down clean the oil as best as can be..I bet i dumped and ran 8 Qts of oil getting rid of that milky crap. And I know when i do start it up again ill still have to change the oil again within 10 minuets..

But in a few days, if I get a day off again, ill have her back together!

Poor lil think...sad sad picture!!

Comment

Sorry to hear that, but atleast you found out right away what it was.

Aaaahhh, one thing about 3rd gen is all that space you can work on. 4th gen are PITA.

Good luck.

Comment

Yea theres alot of room in there. 4th gen motors looked like some one jammed them in as far as they could to the firewall....LOL

Thanks man, Ill have her back up and running soon.

Comment

Car runs!!! Oil its clear again, compression is from 145 through 155PSI in all cylinders. Were good to go, but the throttle responce sux. Im pretty sure those plugs are shot from when i blew the gasket and got coolent mix in there... Oh well. It runs, no leaks anywere, and the compression is good. Took 5 hours to get it back together and I torqed EVERYTHING down to specs this time. I dont wana tear that thing apart again for awhile.
                Last edited by fasteddi; 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Wow, you're fast. That's good to hear.

Comment

Thanks man, if its nice this weekend ill get to drive it and do a little video taping...

Comment

Did some tuning after work. Heres some performance #'s from tunerpro Rt via datalogging.

30-60Mph 3.77 seconds

30-80Mph 7.45 seconds

30-70Mph 5.39 seconds

And just to add...look at the 30-70Mph time in seconds for a 3000GT....im in sports car territory forsure!! 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 5.47 seconds

10-80Mph 9.34 seconds

There were multiple runs and I just averaged the once i had and got these numbers. Still more potential as Ive turned that wastegate duty cycle on the controler down too much, so its a smoother boost without spiking but it lags more. And its impossible to start from a stand still with out just doing a big burnout. 10Psi is still the commanded PSI.

Man i cant wait to get a track pass and see the time slip...hoping for 14's?
                      Last edited by fasteddi; 03-02-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you might be in the low 14 high 13 territory. That is still awesome for a workhorse V6.

I'm sure you've seen this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KALeK3Rlcys

Comment

Ok yea thats daves car(project89)! Thats what I based my build on, his first turbo set up was like mine, piping wise. He has helped me alot get my car going right, and his car is even the same color as mine.

Heres a video from his orignial turbo build, his piping was like mine, no turbo headers on this setup. In this video he let off half like 200ft dowen track as it was the first times out on the track with the car.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/the-...ro_2360344.htm

Comment

I didn't know he started off with a 2.8. What was his time there?

Say, I was wondering if maybe you could answer what I posted at the General section:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...88#post1025588

Thanks

Comment

Yea he started with a 2.8L then went to a 3.1L. IIRC his best time with that set up was in the 13's. But he said he was running alot of boost....15psi+. Compared to the 3.1L set up that ran 9psi ob boost and went the same time at the track.

I posted on that tread. I dont know if it helps, my answer, but its a start. Get into a little more detail, and even take a video if you can. Videos help a ton when a cars acting weird.

Comment

Heres a older video i made a few weeks ago. Let me know if the audio works well. Thanks!!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEej0qxyaNQ

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X