HERE IT IS!! The easiest, BEST mod I have EVER done to my intake!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HERE IT IS!! The easiest, BEST mod I have EVER done to my intake!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HERE IT IS!! The easiest, BEST mod I have EVER done to my intake!!

In my seemingly never ending quest to a) improve my 3.1 and b) put together the most beautiful V6 engine bay EVER, I have been trying to figure out a way to improve the airflow without attracting the attention of the smog police here in California. Having gasket matched my intake and polished it, I was still frustrated by that sharp bend the airflow has to make to get from the upper to middle plenum manifold, when I suddenly had a revelation and came up with THIS!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1136.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1541983

These spacers straighten the airflow and ease the transition between the two manifolds, so here is the entire setup, less the middle manifold already installed. * the top part is my hand made coil bracket, complete with 'bowtie' cutout!

Name:	100_1141.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1541984

Here is a shot of it installed (the ignition wire looms are another mod of mine too).

Name:	100_1142.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1541985

These are prototypes, but I am willing to sell them as a kit if anyone is interested. The cost will depend on how many orders I can put together, since the CNC initial setup is expensive, so the more folks that want them, the better. Given that this was a first time prototype, how did it work? FREAKIN' AWESOME!! I have not flowbenched them yet, but the car seems- and this will sound strange- LIGHTER. It just gets up and goes quicker, as it it can finally BREATH.

These are 1/2 inch 6061 billet aluminum. At this thickness, the manifold still clears my STB by 1/4 inch. Without the STB, I can run 1 inch spacers and still clear the hood.

If anyone is interested in this ridiculously simple, effective mod, let me know. Keep in mind that I polished these (wetsanded up to 1500 grit them Mother's polished) to match my intake. It makes more economic sense if you want some to get them raw, so you can polish, powdercoat or anodize them to your needs(I may end up anodizing mine red to accent them, but NOT until I pass smog in September!).

Let me know what you think!
    *patent pending

Re: HERE IT IS!! The easiest, BEST mod I have EVER done to my intake!!

Looks pretty nice, would love to see some numbers on results!
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Stellar!!! Need more pics... :)

Comment

Wow, looks awesome. I would say your half way there to your goals
        Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
        1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
        1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
        2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I guess I am going to have to work up some flowbench numbers then! The camera seems to wash out the in car photos- everything is MUCH shinier in real life. Those billet wire looms double as valve cover hold downs too- real neat and tidy. Love my Fiero aluminum valve covers as well. And you would not BELIEVE how long that plenum took to polish- upper AND middle. Try 80 grip all the way to 2000 wet- I could have robbed a bank because I had no fingerprints left!

Comment

That's beautiful. I just painted mine, but I wish I could've done something like that.

Comment

adds intake volume, increased runner length, and usable bling. which bmr stb did you use that fit the v6?
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

Finally got some pricing together and I will be running some next week. Price is $99/pair for the 1/2 inch; $139/pair for the 1 inch. These come with instructions and the spacer needed to lift the throttle body cable bracket up to align with the top plenum mounting hole.
                It does not include gaskets or bolts- the gaskets are easy to cut yourself out of bulk material and the bolt specs are also included so you can determine what sort to use. If you look at the photos I posted, you can see the bolts I used. They are stainless ARP star head fasteners that really look good with the polished manifold!

The STB I believe is STB003, according to their website. I got it in the black hammertone originally, but it started to chip and flake off over time. They offered to recoat it for free, but I went ahead and had it chromed instead. Ver shiny!

Comment

I will be running some next week. Price is $99/pair for the 1/2 inch; $139/pair for the 1 inch. These come with instructions and the spacer needed to lift the throttle body cable bracket up to align with the top plenum mounting hole.
                  It does not include gaskets or bolts- the gaskets are easy to cut yourself out of bulk material and the bolt specs are also included so you can determine what sort to use. If you look at the photos I posted, you can see the bolts I used. They are stainless ARP star head fasteners that really look good with the polished manifold!

Comment

thats some really good pricing....if only it was for 3.4's :(

Comment

I am working on the 3.4 as we speak! I will keep you posted!!

Comment

Sorry- I meant the 3400... the 3.1 intake swaps onto the 3.4 (same block and heads) and apparently flows better. You do have to swap to a distributor though. Just pull everything above the heads from a junker, gasket match the intake and buy some of my spacers and go to town! There is a writeup on thirdgen.org about the 2.8/3.1 to 3.4 swap if you are interested. Personally, I don't like the look of the 3.4 intake anyway...

Comment

yes, KED85, Karl's write up keeps his memory alive
                          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                          94 comero 3.4

Comment

wow all this is news to me!! sound amazing i have to check all this out! and it really flows better??....i too dont like the look of the 3.4 intake also

Comment

That is what I have been told! The 3.4 intake looks like a bloody toilet seat to me. That is my intake at the top of this thread- it cleans up much nicer than the 3.4 in my opinion, too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X