'84 Rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '84 Rear end

Ok need a little help my uncle has a 1984 Z28 with the 5.0L H.O. engine. he siad the diff locked up (the tires wont spin) on him going to work the other day and all the fluid leaked out so something big happened. I have not got a chance to look at it yet but was trying to find out the diff spec's the dealer said its too old to give them the vin number for info. from my understanding there were 2 types of axles used a chevy and borg warner also 4 gear ratio's as well 3.08,3.23.3.73,3.42

How can i find out which one he has? Thanks
    1999 Camaro V6 A4<br />Navy Blue metallic<br />Intake+Exhaust+4.10+?=?

Re: '84 Rear end

Originally posted by calvo View Post
    Ok need a little help my uncle has a 1984 Z28 with the 5.0L H.O. engine. he siad the diff locked up (the tires wont spin) on him going to work the other day and all the fluid leaked out so something big happened. I have not got a chance to look at it yet but was trying to find out the diff spec's the dealer said its too old to give them the vin number for info. from my understanding there were 2 types of axles used a chevy and borg warner also 4 gear ratio's as well 3.08,3.23.3.73,3.42

How can i find out which one he has? Thanks
    Take it apart.
    sigpic

Comment

my suggestion is to join a 3rd gen website, and tell them about the car, and they could narrow everything down for you.

are there no rpo codes that could give you a clue?

Comment

ya looks like im just gonna have to take it apart next weekend hopefully there will be a tag still on the rear end with info on it. just thought i would try here first in case someone had input on it since the dealer was no help.
        Thanks anyways guys.

Comment

NO tag on GM rears unless it says " Limited slip differential fluid only". If it's the Dana You'll know as soon as you look at the cover.
          sigpic

Comment

http://www.thirdgen.org/1984-chevy-camaro

I haven't looked at my haynes or 85 service manual, but if the rear is anything like the 2nd gens, there will be some numbers on the pass side of the axle iirc, that can be used to determine what type it is. also need to know what tranny he has for ratio
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

I'm betting he has the 3.23 rear.
              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

ok thanks guys will post back when i look into it. and again not sure what auto tranny he has in it he told me when he bought it new that he had to take it back and have the tranny replaced with a stronger one cause the old one kept blowing. there again guess well see whats in it when it comes apart
                thanks again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X