89 Bird is up and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Bird is up and running

Thanks to my bro for putting up the money we were able to get this bird going again. It's his car and he's going to try and register it under his name.

The fusible links are now fixed and it's not burning out anymore. The problem was the ignition switch. It was fried to bits. So that was replaced.

Now that the car is running several problems remain. The stereo is dead and so is the amp.

But the one that I need to fix badly is the hard cold start. It takes quite a bit of cranking to get it started. Once it start it feels like the fuel is not properly reaching the engine. Everytime I want to rev. it up the engine wants to stall. I let it idle for like 2 min. and then the Engine is fine. I can rev. it up and it runs strong, but sometimes I feel a bit of hesitation.

Now hot starts are fine, but when I let the car off for more than 6 hours the hard starts begins again.

So is this a Fuel Pressure Regulator problem?

The fuel pump is fine and the fuel filter is new. The injectors were cleaned last week and there's no black smoke coming from the pipes, so that means the injectors doesn't leak.

Any ideas you want to throw at me would help, thanks.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Re: 89 Bird is up and running

I wish I could remember the earlier Gens. my older brother had one and my Dad would work on it and I would always be the helper with tools and flash light. On those can you put a gauge on the fuel rail or like unplug the vac. line going to it so it should up the pressure? or maybe throttle blade off alittle so its getting to little air and too much fuel or the other way around? Just some ideas, its a EFI or TPI I forget?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      I wish I could remember the earlier Gens. my older brother had one and my Dad would work on it and I would always be the helper with tools and flash light. On those can you put a gauge on the fuel rail or like unplug the vac. line going to it so it should up the pressure? or maybe throttle blade off alittle so its getting to little air and too much fuel or the other way around? Just some ideas, its a EFI or TPI I forget?
      It's EFI. I will try and look for that vac. line. I think it's more a problem of fuel not getting to the engine properly at cold starts.

Comment

I would vote for a bad FPR. It's probably leaking and letting all the fuel drain back to the tank. So then when you try to cold start it, there's no fuel in the lines until pressure can build back up. It's probably a small leak that just takes hours for all the fuel to drain out.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
          I would vote for a bad FPR. It's probably leaking and letting all the fuel drain back to the tank. So then when you try to cold start it, there's no fuel in the lines until pressure can build back up. It's probably a small leak that just takes hours for all the fuel to drain out.
          Yes, I'm going to try and replace that next week.

The SES light came on a couple of days ago. And this OBDI gave me a reading of 12, 32, 33, 34.

My problem is that the manual is for V8 TPI and not for V6 MPFI. So I'm hoping there's no difference. The reading say EGR valve, MAP, and MAF.

I have a feeling that this might be related to the FPR, but there are some hesitation on the accelaration when I step on it.

So I'll replace this first and see what happens.

Comment

thor, give us some pics. I love me a good 3rd gen

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident View Post
              thor, give us some pics. I love me a good 3rd gen
              Thanks for asking.

Here's the post I made last week at the Appearance Section:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=99778

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X