I thought new gears would help my time? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought new gears would help my time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you launch?
    New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

Comment

No, that is two seperate parameters in the computer. Changing the gear ratio in the computer would have nothing to do with the shift points.
      So, by flashing the PCM to show the new gears you only correct the speedo? How do you correct shift points? I am asking because I am about to change my gears and lsd. (well, somebody else is doing it for me).
      2002 Arctic White Firebird W68<br />Installed: FTRA, Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Corvette Servo, 160º Thermostat.<br />Appearance: Potenzas RE750 245\'s, 3M Tint 20% All Around, Clear Corners.<br />FOR SALE: HPP3

Comment

You get a HPP3 or have your PCM edited... ;)
        2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Originally posted by Jerriko:
          No, that is two seperate parameters in the computer. Changing the gear ratio in the computer would have nothing to do with the shift points. What kind of gears did you have installed and what was the break-in time?
          wrong wrong wrong wrong.

It does adjust your shift points. Flashing the PCM will adjust this.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_man:
            How do you launch?
            I am launching at around 2000, but last time I did launch was about 2300 and I could feel the brakes give way and I got the red light. I just need to practice on my launch, or maybe check my brake fluid pressure, or push harder on the brake, or something.
            New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
            RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
            crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
            The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by hawgs:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jerriko:
              No, that is two seperate parameters in the computer. Changing the gear ratio in the computer would have nothing to do with the shift points. What kind of gears did you have installed and what was the break-in time?
              wrong wrong wrong wrong.

No No No No
              </font>[/QUOTE]It's two seperate functions. Adjusting the ratio for the speedometer will NOT affect your shift points. Those are two different sets of code.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerriko:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hawgs:
                wrong wrong wrong wrong.

No No No No
                </font>[/QUOTE]It's two seperate functions. Adjusting the ratio for the speedometer will NOT affect your shift points. Those are two different sets of code.
                </font>[/QUOTE]Tell me how the transmission knows when to shift then. Enlighten me.

Have you had yours flashed after a gear change? Do you have any experence other then a theory in your mind?

Comment

Still that 85mph is not good.. I went 90mph with my open diff and 3.23's.. I ran a 15.4 with a 2.2 60'.. That was with a cat back and a whisper lid with accel coil packs..
                  Jeff ..
                  1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                  2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                  1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                  http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Originally posted by hawgs:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by hawgs:
                    wrong wrong wrong wrong.

No No No No
                    </font>[/QUOTE]Tell me how the transmission knows when to shift then. Enlighten me.

Have you had yours flashed after a gear change? Do you have any experence other then a theory in your mind?
                    </font>[/QUOTE]I have been reprogramming 3800s for a couple of years now. I can hook you up w/ my brother at DHP if you doubt me. The original poster of this thread had JUST the speedo table changed for the new gear ratio. If he did nothing else, then the trans would shift as it always did (stock). To change the shift points, you need to change DIFFERENT lines of code.

The shift points are controlled by rpm, load, etc in its own table. If you don't specifically change the shift points (or the factors involved in its OWN table), they don't change. They don't change by themselves.

Comment

Oh lord, I am just looking for a straight answer.
                      Yes I asked the dealership to flash my PCM with a VIN # from a 98 bird with 3.42 gears. He pluged in the computer and set some codes into the car. I have no idea what codes or tables he changed. The speedo does show the correct speedo is correct now.
                      I went to the track 2 days later and I did notice that the car automatically shifted from 2nd to 3rd right at 5500rpm @ WOT which is what it orig shifted at. Sorry I didn't notice what it shifted at from 1st to 2nd @ WOT.
                      I will be getting my car customed tuned soon from TSP so maybe they can fix all of this.
                      New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
                      RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
                      crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
                      The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X