• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First pass with turbo set up 3.1L

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
    That's good info. Thanks.

Way to go fasteddi.
    Thanks car is a monster in the end of the track I know that. But now im entertaining the idea of a TH350 trans swap. The reason is becase of my tq converter. Its getting blown by again and is not manipulating Tq like it should. I think why spend 500+ bucks on a special converter for the 60* narrow 700R4 when I could swap in a better trans in general for racing for about the same amount or a little more.

Comment

yeah 1-2 shift is only a 400 rpm drop and the 2-3 is a 500 rpm drop from 6k to 5,500

with the cam u have and the t3 .63 housing ur motor is making peak hp and tq right around 4,500 rpms since the rpms never get that low on a shift ur loosing time right there. also since the converter should stall no more then 3k ur just getting a huge power loss with that much slip, ur lowest rpm on a shift was something like 5,200 rpms, which is well above ur peak power range

a proper trans/converter i bet u the car will feel like its picked up 50-75 hp

not to mention if u do go with the th350 and eventually get a transbrake i can see ur car going well into the 10's

Comment

I want to work on the intercooler removal, but the only problem is because of my trans/converter slipping like it is when I shift that I wont feel the HP gain and will be beating the drivetrain up even more.

I still need to either find a TH350 that will bolt up or figure out what to do. Seems that this will be a winter project though. I have to say im sorta happy with the progress so far this year. To be honest I really wanted to make a 12 second pass this year but there always next year. I didnt blow the car up, It ran fine, and I did make some nice 13.30's passes this year>so it wasent a total loss this season.

Theres a good list of stuff I want to do this winter. If it goes well I dont see why I cant make low 12 second passes with ease come next year. Mainly the trans/ and rear end. Removal of intercooler.

Comment

pull the intercooler for now, even if it does make the converter slip more we will be able to tell if that intercooler is a restriction , im pretty damn sure it is

ill see if i cant get u a list of cars that have the th350 with the right tailshaft
          if it wasnt for that cheap converter and a few othe rminor things u should have been running low 12's already and 11's next year

the turbo u have now is still good for a bit more power should be good for 11.50's- 11.80's a larger turbo will just do the same with less boost

whats the current verdict on ur 3.1?

Comment

66mm
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODSPEED-GSP...1ee534&vxp=mtr

t4 flanged gt35
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-T4-...6bb016&vxp=mtr

Comment

Cant wait to see that beast run next year for sure. If you need help just let me know.

Comment

Dave I need to put the head on the other bank on sunday or late friday. Work has been so busy. But I have to say i hope its in good shape still.

Can you please give me a proceedure to do the compression test on the car without it running as Ive never done it before with the engine out of commision.

Thanks for the turbo links dave I will look though them.

Comment

lol u dont do a compression test with the engine running.
                  ur going to have to put both heads on, but the suspected bad hea don the passenger side of the engine

put the good head on the driver side reinstall rockers etc etc

take out all the spark plugs and then do a test on all cyls and compare the results

btw u dont have to put the intake back on

u do have to have both heads on though cause if u leave a head off u have to pull the lifters out of that side, and if u do that no oil will get to the rod or main bearings and u will wear them just by turning the motor over with the starter
                  Last edited by project89; 08-30-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I ment the car is together so I can crank it over with the starter...LOL thats what i ment by running, sorry if that was confusing in my last post.

But I understand what I need to do. Thanks man, Ill get back with you tommorow with the results.

Comment

• Re: First pass with turbo set up 3.1L

What would be better with those turbos, to swap the compressor only or do the whole thing. The one is a T4 turbine correct? Thats going to make it laggy on the street? The link says it will still maintain quick spooling but im unsure still on what the ar # actually tells you.

Comment

its a hard choice i really think the 66 would be the best bet but u would be limited to the .48 or swaping it onto ur 57mm unit with the .63 housing

the gt3582 is a 61mm turbo with a .68 t4 housing which will spool like a t3 .8x this will allow for a better top end

a perfect match would be the gt35 hotside and the 66mm cold side but in ur case thats not an option

with the cam u currently have i woudl go for the 66 its actually almost a 67mm turbo and try out the .48 turbine , even though u can see its stamped .48 in the pic the housing looks to be to larger to be a .48 , if that housing proves to be to small u can swap the whole compressor side onto ur 57mm unit

btw the 57mm compressor would be much better suited to that 66mms hotside for a street turbo on a 2.8/3.1/3.4

a step in between the 2 turbos i linked u to would be the standard gt3582 which has a t3 .81 housing but the t3/t4 versions of the gt35 are pretty damn close together in terms of spoolup and airflow threw the turbine that i would pick the t4 version

lmao am i making ur head hurt yet ?

Comment

A little bit...lmao. But its good for me to learn the stuff.

Comment

my simple advice is buy the 66

Comment

I probly will dave. I have to work on my POS daily driver tonight so the next day of free time is sunday. Man I really hope those driver side cylinders are good. Ill find out soon enough I guess.

Thats what you had on the 3.1L wasent it? The 66 one. Was is a ebay special or a namebrand on there?

Comment

i have a gt35 on my 3.1 its a garrett/fullrace turbo,its alot more efficiant then the ebay knockoffs and the perfect turbo

but since the ebay turbos are less efficiant u go up a size or 2 to make up for it

the ebay 66 will make slightly more power then my gt35, wereas my real gt35 vs an ebay gt35 the garett will make mor epower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X