Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: simple weight reduction

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
    Lexan is a horrible idea for a car that sees any street use. I would especially not replace the windshield.
    I dont get why though...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      I dont get why though...

Even the high $ scratch resisent Lexan turns white /yellowish and scratches. It is also very hard to seal up and needs to have supports to keep it from caving in going down the track, unless you use very think stuff.
      sigpic

Comment

does that apply to the rear lexan glass as well, or only the front?

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
          does that apply to the rear lexan glass as well, or only the front?

The rear doesn't need to be supported but still has the other issues.
          sigpic

Comment

WIth the tint on the rear you wouldn't see it , and if it is garaged I think it would take awhile for it to start to yellow, I'm still reading up on it.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

After I do my rear bumper ,air bags, heater and some other misc. without touching the windows I will have taken off over 400 LBS, so according to my estimate my car should be 2750-2800LBS without me in it and race weight for the track , stereo out and pass. seat out, not bad too bad. I think with the F&R windows done lexan thats another close to 150LBs some people claim, so thats 2600 LBS. So it's def doable to get it below 2500LBS race weight, which would make a mean machine on the track with a turbo if it made 350-400 WRHP or nitrous. With a good 60 that a low 11 and dipping into the 10's.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

hey ssms did you notice a difference going from st sways? by that i mean did you sacrifice handling for weight or did it handle the same?
                sigpic

Comment

St 35mm was really tight on the car ,def. made for cornering and for you to feel the road, when I put the 32mm hollow on it felt sloppy to me , made me feel that I should of kept. my STB on just to stiffen it up. If you into handling 35mm is the way to go , 32mm hollow and weight reduction good for straight line and decent handling. I even have a FE2 R&P 14:4 V8 steering and it still doesn't have the handling when I had the 35mm on front. The 21mm rear is great for launching but in my opinion is to big after getting into some corners hard so I think a 19mm would be better.

Comment

gotcha...cuz i do like turning...dont drag too often. might have to pick one up and learn how to change on the fly or just eliminate altogether for track days
                    sigpic

Comment

"I may shave some metal on the doors behind the door panels in the summer time...see if I can save 1-2lbs off each door, make them easier to close to :p"
                      im pretty sure they are completeley fiber glass lol
                      i like the AAA and bottle of slime idea lol

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                        "I may shave some metal on the doors behind the door panels in the summer time...see if I can save 1-2lbs off each door, make them easier to close to :p"
                        im pretty sure they are completeley fiber glass lol
                        i like the AAA and bottle of slime idea lol
                        not right behind your inner door skin...that is thin metal lol.

I actually need to shave down some of the metal on my drivers side door...the plastic black piece that surrounds where the door opening lever thing is, has a clip that just doesn't want to go into place...and it is because for some reason the metal behind it is holding it up. (not sure if this was a factory error, as the guy I bought it from kept this in immaculat condition, didnt modify it, was an older gentlemen who just drove it, and I bought it like that...so ya lol.

BUT, there is apparently a fiberglass mod for the door in which you can shave off some of the fiber glass somewhere and loose some weight back there...I got to look into that a little further (mainly just for fun)

Comment

I need to get busy with mine, want to get the heater core out and then the pass. air bag and module. Then rear bumper support, should tie me over for a bit.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                            I need to get busy with mine, want to get the heater core out and then the pass. air bag and module. Then rear bumper support, should tie me over for a bit.LOL
                            how much weight will that shave?

Comment

Originally posted by kdm212 View Post
                              how much weight will that shave?
                              According to the weight chart, about 75LBS for those, plus have some misc. stuff that will take another 25lBS off I hope. I will then install a steel cover where the heater core was, they sell them on ebay , but I have some 18 or it might be 22 ga. steel sheet I can make my own block off. I'm also making a fan shroud out of the steel to move my fans closer to the radiator. Just will be busy picking up stuff from the old ex-wifes house this weekend and getting stuff organized. I will then work on my projects again.

Comment

Couple quick weight reducing tips.

There is a damper on the driver side motor mount that you can take off and will save you about a pound.

There are a few misc. brackets - engine lift bracket, 2 brackets that connect the engine to the trans. That would save you about 3-5 pounds.

Stick to stock salad shooter wheels when racing. They are only 25 some odd pounds. Most aftermarket rims weigh close to 50, especially chrome ones.
                                SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                                  Low Voltage
                                  by Vladimir Gecko
                                  I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                                  17 hours ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  6 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X