simple weight reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple weight reduction

im sure there is a thread on here that has info. BUT i was not able to find it. what will shave some weight. im guessing the stock airbox will and the driveshaft. exhaust?

if so what is the difference? for exanple lets say the k & n intake weighs 3lbs what does the stock box weigh?

driveshaft stock vs custom.

seeing that my bird weighs 3337 stock and the maro weighs 3333 lol. thats 4 more pounds i have to shed! weight according to motortrend.com and then using a kg-lb conversion.

Re: simple weight reduction

Search the drag racing section for the list.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

well for the driveshaft you can go to an aluminum one, and its not that expensive.

As for exhaust, a dumped exhaust is lighter than one that goes all the way back.

Rear seats, carpet, interior door panels, passenger seat, it depends how far you wanna go with it.
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
      2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

dont forget the easy stuff like taking out your jack, spare, heavy floor mats, and keeping your interior free of extra clutter --- it all adds up.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

i took out my back seats since people dont really ride in my back seats anyways

you can take out the back seat belts too if you would like those together would be around 40lbs+ i would guess

Comment

I weighed in my aluminum ds the other day. Total of 12 lbs compared to whatever the stock 2 peice is. Def alot lighter tho.
            And fro what i hear the bumper supports weigh about 20lbs each, and you might want to think about your stereo and speakers if you dont need a radio. Taking the deck, speakers, wire harnesses, and the antenna would probably be a good weight redux.
            Last edited by Watazz; 02-06-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

im not looking to go crazy just eliminate basic stuff. id like to keep my radio and other "creature comforts" i do need the backseat too.

Comment

well i think the jack, spare tire, and bumper supports would be a good start. Also theres this sound deadening stuff under the carpet that weighs like 40 lbs or sumthing.

Comment

well the spare tire and jack can be replaced with a CAA card and a bottle of slime, can save 30-40lbs there.

I took out the sound deadning under the main carpet and it came out to 21lbs (I wieghed it)

You can take out the A/C and loose another 30-40lbs off the front end...I never used mine anyways.

lightweight hood, K member, A arms, buy any chromoly suspension parts saves a few pounds here and there.

I would not take out bumper supports for a daily driver.

I may shave some metal on the doors behind the door panels in the summer time...see if I can save 1-2lbs off each door, make them easier to close to :P

Depending on how hardcore you are, if you dont have many power options in your car, and you have time on yours hands...dissassemble the dash and cut away the wires from the wireing harness that you do not need/use...I heard you can save close to 20lbs in extra wiring...I'm manual everything in my car (except trans) so I know I have thousands of unused wires that are in my car that I need to get rid of.

If you dont use the abs you can save approx another 20lbs there.

Aluminum d/s is 11-12 lbs while the 2 piece one is about 34 lbs, and that is rotational weight, which is HUGE

Light weight wheels...

here is a list for ya as well.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/weights.htm
                  Last edited by LETZRIDE; 02-06-2010, 02:24 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

i was reading that list. i noticed that the stock airbox was not on that list. anyone know its weight?

Comment

no idea, can't be more then a few lbs difference though.

Comment

slime, never heard of that. googled it and it appears to be the same as fix a flat. i have AAA plus too. woohoo

Comment

slime isnt the name I dont think...but you know what I mean, the gooey crap you spray in and then use a 12V compressor to air up...

Comment

i replaced my jack and spare tire with an air pump, tire repair kit and a nitrous bottle :).

Comment

Originally posted by camarov696 View Post
                              i replaced my jack and spare tire with an air pump, tire repair kit and a nitrous bottle :).
                              baby steps for me. im not even close to that far yet. lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X