Want to hit the 14's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to hit the 14's

lol this is getting fun and very interesting as many different opinions as there is. One more won't hurt. So my though is this, yeah if your just thinking of going fast and being faster in a drag race or faster than lets say the same car with similar mods I agree all the way go for a stalled auto. But I think if your actually going to take the time to make your car a more balanced one, one that is more competitive in more than one aspect and if your going to go all the way manual is always better. Sure you'll get faster off the line and get a better quarter mile time with a stalled auto. But with a manual you have the benefit off drifting/donuts, Auto Xin'g/Mountain Road Runs/ better MPG/less strain on brakes/ better and more diverse exhaust tones due to downshifting and the clutch engaging and in my opinion its just a lot more fun go for a manual. I think if anyone is going to take the time to make their car overall better in more than one aspect(like most real production race cars are) they should just take the time to get a
    T56 customized for our car. Sure it might be a little expensive but it is worth it in my opinion.

Comment

i second that

Comment

auto would lose from a roll. seen it happen 1st hand plenty of times.

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
          auto would lose from a roll. seen it happen 1st hand plenty of times.
          I disagree...maybe stock...but anything that has been tuned will not...the issue with the stock a4's is that there is a delay in downshift/upshift times, and a delay for when the trans will be allowed to downshift, and to which gear....

you can tune your trans to double downshift, and delete the dead spots that are created from the factory tuning...

the only reason stock a4's would be slower is because they put the above into place to make driving more comfortable...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

i agree a auto tranny NEVER misses a gear and with work shifts in mili seconds

Comment

it'd probably be close against a 5speed, but a tuned/stalled auto v8 against a m6 v8.. the m6 wins. trust me ;)

edit- then again, this is the drag racing section. so i guess none of that matters.

Comment

and as for drifting a firm down shift into 2nd will get her sideways all day long. and 1st pulling out of somwhere will pull me in a circle till she shifts to 2nd then its a smoke show.

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
                  it'd probably be close against a 5speed, but a tuned/stalled auto v8 against a m6 v8.. the m6 wins. trust me ;)

edit- then again, this is the drag racing section. so i guess none of that matters.
                  are you talking the exact same mods, same gearing, weight etc...I never said the A4 will blow the manual away...off the line it will, but not from a roll where you don't get that tq multiplication advantage...I firmly believe it would be a pretty even race...but little things come into play...and I guess it depends on how far you race...auto the tq converter will slip...even in the 1/4 mile you will see that a manual is "faster" but not "quicker"...if your talking about pulling up to 120mph, then ya, I could see the manual passing the auto...but we can change that simply by locking the converter ;)...its just real bad for the trans to shift with the converter locked up.

The thing is, is the manual will have that higher mph then the auto...but the manual is playing catch up...if you run long and far enough eventually you'll catch up and pass the a4 sure..but were not running a marathon

Comment

Ugh? Autos?

IMO manual all the way...

yes a tuned auto with a shift kit, and big stall will be better then a manual. But what did you just dump into the auto, $800-1k? And you have to suffer with all of those things in daily driving.

I prefer a manual, set your stall speed, shift quick, then when you are on the road drive it nomral or hard, your choice. A normal manual car will be more liveable in daily driving then a tuned/stalled/shift kitted auto.

For a DD with some time on the track, a manual is the way to go. Full time bracket racer looking for consistancy, auto is better. And yes you can be consistant in a manual, I made top 12 out of 300 cars my first time EVER bracket racing. I would have won my last round but I broke out, I over corrected for temp change as night came.

As for the orginal poster, Where do you race? Morosso? I ran mid to high 14s with similar mods. You shoudl be able to cross the traps in 3rd gear with 3.23s, I did it., ride each gear out to right before the rev limiter, and in fact probably hit it as you cross the traps.

I ran on 16"s 17s only slowed me down in drag racing(I did use them for road/autocrossing) I was abole to pull 2.0-2.1s 60' with used wheels I had bought that were like 235s. I liked one set they were slightly lower profile, so I had a smaller diameter wheel. But I had hit consistant mid to high 14s with factory size tire on 16"

Practice your launch, I prefered ~3200 rpm stall up, then feather/come off the clutch hard and run out.

Also other tips if you want to try. Jack up the front tire PSI to liek 45, keep the rears around 30ish(I prefer highest psi where I don't have consistant tractions issues) Practice your launches a bit before you give up.

Also consider pulling your front sway bar, to help allow better weight transfer to the rear wheels, to help at launch. And the obvious, run low fuel/clean your car out. Also might suggest, night or day before, run tank low, throw a little 89 or 93 in, and do a PCM reset(pull PCM IGN, PCM BATT fuse), and drive the car hard before you go to the track, so the PCM relearns under hard driving, current weather conditions more so then the last coupel months averages.
                    Last edited by DAS BOOT; 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

yes a tuned auto with a shift kit, and big stall will be better then a manual. But what did you just dump into the auto, $800-1k? And you have to suffer with all of those things in daily driving.
                      I see where you are coming from with this...but consider this...
                      A) I can personally say my driveability with the stall isn't anything concerning...it drives almost like stock except it slips a tad more. The shifts feel smooth and crisp.

B) take into account that someone is not going to go out and put a shift kit and stall in an otherwise stock car. Take into account that the T-5's have a hard time holding up to any abuse dished out to them in an otherwise "cam only" car...then take into account how much money someone would need to spend to beef up their T-5 tranny and it is probably more or less in the ball park of doing the shift kit/servo/stall.

In the end, the auto is faster. (in the above scenario)

Manual IS more "lively" to drive sure...

Now...if you want to talk a couple bolt ons, or stock...ya, manual could be faster...or atleast it is in most cars...with our cars and trannies, manual and auto track times are pretty much spot on.

the thing that really sucks about our manuals is there lack of ability to hold any decent power...and you dont have to do much to get that power...the auto will of course hold up to the abuse without being modded :P

Comment

auto is fine but i feel like an old fart just sitting there,manual is the funnist thing to do,the only car i have ever driven that was fun automatic was a 05 gt with 2800 stall 4:11's pulleys traction mods and diablo tune,just with that the car would spin 2nd and 3rd and not just spin but kick forward every gear,it was a 12's stang,he ran 13.1 @106 on stock 235/45 tires,easily a 12.9 with DR's or slicks,thats the only car i could live with auto,not a auto camaro,and especially a v6 auto,uh uh not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardcoelho View Post
                          auto is fine but i feel like an old fart just sitting there,manual is the funnist thing to do,the only car i have ever driven that was fun automatic was a 05 gt with 2800 stall 4:11's pulleys traction mods and diablo tune,just with that the car would spin 2nd and 3rd and not just spin but kick forward every gear,it was a 12's stang,he ran 13.1 @106 on stock 235/45 tires,easily a 12.9 with DR's or slicks,thats the only car i could live with auto,not a auto camaro,and especially a v6 auto,uh uh not me.
                          guys here that have really well setup cam only cars and stalls are running mid low 13's...not much different from that mustang...and thats what I am trying to say...you are not going to stall a stock car...people who stall will have at minimum a cam...our t5's have a hard time holding up to that...and like you even stated...when you start putting that little bit of power down...stalled cars are FUN...and a 2800 stall is a baby...hell my 3200 is a baby...I wish I went with 4000 now. I just didnt know how streetable it was going to be...3200 is very very streetable...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                            you are not going to stall a stock car...people who stall will have at minimum a cam...
                            The motor in my car is stock with Headers and roller rockers and is stalled. The 3200 stall you don't notice when just driving, but it made the biggest difference in ET.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                              The motor in my car is stock with Headers and roller rockers and is stalled. The 3200 stall you don't notice when just driving, but it made the biggest difference in ET.
                              wow...well then I stand corrected. The 3200 does make a HUGE difference in ET yes, atleast providing you can hook up with it. Makes it fun as hell to drive to, but I now wish I went 4000

Comment

I'm actually planning on running a stall on my car with stock motor and bolt-ons. Problem right now is trying to decide between 3200 and 3500, along with which tires to make it stick. :burn:
                                '99 Camaro
                                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X