Anyone do the xbox mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone do the xbox mod?

HOLY SH*T!!! that has got to be the worst looking xbox I have ever seen! That paint job is an EPIC FAIL!!! this pic would sum it up....

sorry i am not too much help!

:)
    Last edited by kala; 03-22-2008, 12:30 AM.
    09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
    sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

cantrip, I think using the Xbox is a great idea. You already have one, but even if you didn't, you could nab one for real cheap. It's pretty much a simplified, specialized PC that would do exactly what you need it to do in the car, which is being a media box.

Yes, you can add/exchange a larger hard drive, even with a softmod. If you want a different external hard drive for portable file storage, that is possible as well, or you could just use a USB drive... this seems like a better alternative. Reason being, that using a hard drive in the xbox requires it to be formatted a certain way, so it'll either read in the xbox or the pc, but not both at the same time. You can always transfer files through FTP though, but in a car, that's not exactly convenient. The USB drive is much more convenient (and understood by the PC and Xbox, using the FAT32 file system I believe).

I have XBMC as my main dashboard as well... it's a great program. It will play videos, music, display pics/slideshow, etc... extremely versatile. You can hookup an external control panel and remote if desired. Everything is customizable (menu, boot sequence, favorites, etc.). There are many skins to choose from. When playing music, there are many visualizations to choose from as well. The pics I have below are from my box and I am using the Xbox 360 dash skin.

www.xbox-scene.com has all the info you need to get you started on modding xboxes.
      Last edited by ArticRider; 03-22-2008, 10:30 PM.
      Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

Comment

Here are a couple more screencaps I took with the default skin:

Last edited by ArticRider; 03-22-2008, 10:37 PM.
        Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

Comment

So about the hard drive. If i upgrade the internal harddrive of the xbox i will be able to add files from my computer to the hard drive with a flash drive? I have a lot of media that I will have on it and if i get more (which i should be) i want to be able to add it to my xbox without having to take it out of the car, wherever i choose to put it.

Also, with the music, is there a way to make playlists? and can you use a shuffle feature?

Lastly, kala, did you really think it looked like that. Thats all taped up. I updated the picture. The reason i didnt update it was because i thought everyone stopped looking at this thread, lol.

Comment

Yes, you can copy files from the flash drive to the xbox's drive. The USB drive compatibility feature of XBMC is read-only, so you can copy from the flash drive to the xbox, but you can't copy anything from the xbox to the flash drive (which you probably won't need to do anyways). It should recognize most USB flash drives up to 4 GB.

As for the music, yes, you can make playlists and randomize.

Comment

How do you connect a usb to the xbox though? I heard someone on a different forum say something about having to connect a usb to a controller cable or something?

Comment

The xbox controller port interface is essentially USB, they just made a proprietary connector. You can buy an adapter for $6. You can also make your own connector (you'll need a female USB connector and a spare controller connector), but the adapters are cheap enough that it's not even worth it unless you happen to have all the materials.

Comment

thanks man. this really helps out a lot.

Comment

Since you were obviously looking into putting in a PC, do you recommend any other sites. Sorry Im no help with the Xbox thing.
                    sigpic
                    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Sorry, thats the only site i really went on.

As for the usb thing, you said you can put the flash drive into the controller port to put info on it. But you said you wouldnt be able to do that with an external harddrive? theres no way to make that work?

Comment

Nope, not for the hard drive. The first problem with the external hard drive is that it would have to be connected through an IDE interface, not USB. Even if you try using a USB to IDE adapter and power the hard drive and the xbox recognizes it, there is still a 4 GB limit (due to the xbox file system at the moment), so having an external hard drive isn't all that useful.

Comment

Ohh alright. One other question. How big can you upgrade the harddrive inside to. I mentioned 750ish on another forum and someone said it might be too big for the xbox bios (?)

Comment

I just checked, it can support up to 2 TB. However, depending on the BIOS though, the maximum partition size might be about 500 GB, so you'll have a few partitions.
                            Last edited by ArticRider; 03-23-2008, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X