thinking about a Nissan GTR? Think again... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking about a Nissan GTR? Think again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about a Nissan GTR? Think again...

Innovation Is Alive and Well
    The innovation that aftermarket companies around the world display is legendary, and the in-house innovative power displayed by some TAS exhibitors showed that the bar has been raised higher this year, particularly when it comes to products that have become highly computerized. Aftermarket companies in Japan had heard dire predictions from inside Nissan that the GT-R would be impossible to modify, so they were prepared for the worst.

A Japanese journalist reportedly had the following experience when test driving a pre-release model of the GT-R. As he approached the main entry gate of Suzuka International Circuit, the car’s GPS-equipped computer warned him in a pleasant voice that once he entered the circuit, the car’s warranty would be voided.

The navigation screen then gave him an "Accept" screen, requiring him to push "Accept" to get rid of the voice. After a couple more times, the voice issued a final warning that the vehicle was recording his driving habits and any damage done to the vehicle at the circuit would not be covered under the new-car warranty at a Nissan dealership.
    This story seemed to confirm all the fears that the Japanese aftermarket had about the GT-R being a very difficult vehicle to modify. Once it was in the hands of the 10 or so companies that showed their vehicles at the Tokyo Auto Salon, however, the car proved to be less sensitive to simple modifications than recent Toyota and Lexus releases, for example.

For a start, the vehicle will let you add aftermarket wheels and tires without any problems. Some recent Toyota and Lexus models will not even let you do tire rotation without the entire dash turning red as a "danger warning" when you turn on the ignition. It reportedly costs about $200 USD and a trip to the nearest Toyota dealer to get the dash back to normal again.

Luckily, it seems that the new GT-R is a little easier to customize. Most of the GT-Rs at TAS had aftermarket wheels and tires, but not much else. It will be a while before the degree of accessibility of the vehicle is known. It has only just come out, so even the big players in the market like HKS, BLITZ, Endless and Trust have not had time to develop products for the car.

One indication of how aftermarket innovation has surprised even the automakers was a NISMO (Nissan Motorsports) staffer who commented that he was already amazed at some of the work done by the aftermarket companies on the just-released GT-R, in particular the work performed by HKS engineers on the display GT-R in the HKS booth. Next year the same gentleman will probably see 10 other companies he will be surprised at

Who would want one....not me...

Re: thinking about a Nissan GTR? Think again...

who cares pats lost wooo!

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

holy christ people, stop jacking threads.

i dont get whats so bad about it. all i got out of that was its a new car, the gps is crazy, and its hard to modify, only because it just came out, and for being brand new it actually is doing pretty good in the aftermarket field. am i missing something?

Comment

yea...if u ever race it your warranty goes kaput...prolly has a self destructing time bomb in it to purposly break parts once it senses you've entered the circuit...never know with these Japanese cars these days

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE
          yea...if u ever race it your warranty goes kaput...

yep, that about nails the problem right there.

Comment

thats fairly ridiculous.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Fuk that! Ill be damned if my car tells me what I can and cant do!

I would have drove that thing right to them REVed till it blew and told them, Warranty this MotherF'er!
              Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM.
              sigpic
              98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
                yep, that about nails the problem right there.

I mean honestly...why else would someone buy this car other then to race it?

I mean it looks like its a cross between a cobalt and a 350Z...so looks is outta the question

Comment

the thing is uglier than sin. why does everything have to come out with gps nowadays? before long your car's going to make you go where it wants to go. ZR1 FTW!

Comment

I like gps...my car will never tell me where it wants to go...it will forever be my ***** unless it wants to go into a wall, period.

Comment

i have gps on my phone. it will stay there.

Comment

Yeah, I have heard that about the GTR.... that's crazy invasion of privacy... It's gonna be sweet when it's come out...all the big baller 350z drivers are gonna buy one meaning maybe I can get my hands on a TT Z :rock:?

:)
                        09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                        sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

they are afraid it will break haha.
                          no one driving the zr1 is afraid of breaking it.
                          they tested the new vette engine at redline for like 48 hours or something like that

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

ill have to show this to all the GT-R fanboys around my school... how big of a letdown would that be when you tried taking your $70,000 sports car to the track for the first time, and be given the ultimatum to either race or keep your warranty.
                            2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

what if you take it to the track but dont even race?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X