Opinion on new gaming machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on new gaming machine

Ok im building a new gaming computer. Below is a list of the components. Let me know what you think.

Case- Antec P182

Mobo- Abit in9 32x-max (thinking of trading this out for a non sli for better overclocking)

cpu- Core 2 quad q6600 (going to be over clocked to at least 3.0 on each core)

cpu fan- silverstone fm121 120mm

hd- wd 150 gb raptor 10000rpm ( have a external i keep all pics and music on)

psu- silverstone st85zf 850w

video- geforce 8800 gtx (may over clock some

memory- corsair 2gb ddr2-800 (would go 3 gigs but dont wanna loose dual channel speed)

Optical- samsung 20x dvd burner (2 of these)

cpu hs- thermalright ultra 120 extreme

gonna run vista, and this will be on a 24" dell ultra sharp monitor. i already have the monitor...so its looking like after rebates im going to have about 1400-1500 in the system above. goal is to run crysis oh high settings with at least 20-30 fps. so what do you guys think.

Re: Opinion on new gaming machine

ehh im sorry but F vista, it is a peice of sh!t, no matter how hard u try it will never be as fast as XP. other then that yeah good pc u got thar, after 2 years it will be outdated and u will need a new mobo and get a quad core :X sorry thats reality.

Comment

yea i know vista is a memory hog, but i like it better. It sucks to think that this will be obsolete in 2 yrs, but thats how it goes. and by the way, that is a quad core;)

Comment

how much will building that set you back?

Comment

without montior it will run between 1400-1500 after rebates.

Comment

I thought for a minute this was gonna be another magic lottery machine thread

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
            i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
            R.I.P. '07 Pats
            Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Looks to be a decent setup, but in all honesty no game out there is going to take advantage of the quad core as it sits factory at this point so I don't see the point in overclocking it.

I would run the proc/mem at stock speeds and go for a SLI Video setup. You'll see the best results in gaming that way before you will overclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball27
                I thought for a minute this was gonna be another magic lottery machine thread
                this is the machine terry uses to predict the winnarz!

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

my only thing is, most games are not set up to work well with sli right now. people with twin gtx8800 are only seeing a 2 or 3 fps on crysis....makes me wonder if the exta few hundred for another gtx will be worth it. Their is also no talk of whether sli will pick up and more games will be built around this or not. its kinda like a shot in the dark.

Nachius, what do u think about the memory situation. Some poeple are saying dont go 4 gigs that vista can not see any more then like 3, and you will never find a program that will need more then two. also said if i stick to 2 gigs then i can take advantage of dual channel speed. they said 2 gigs on dual channel speed will be way better then 4 without it. any opinons?

Comment

Whats the point of having two dvd burners?

Comment

Well im going to get a good deal on them. Came out just as good to get both of these as it would be to get one dvd drive and one dvd burner. Having 2 (whether their both burners or not) will allow me to copy straight from a dvd to the burner, so i dont have to mess with coping an image to the hd.

Comment

I have some of this is my editing bay. Let's see...

The Q6600 effin' rocks! You'll love it.
                        nVideo GFX FTMFW
                        Corsair is the only memory I run.
                        That Samsung drive is a work horse.

I don't know about the Abit MOBO. I tend to stick with either Asus or MSI.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

First of all: Good choice on the case, I have the 182 and it is the best I've ever owned. As a warning it makes the psu choice a little tricky, I had to change psu's because the first one's atx line didn't reach the mobo socket.

The mobo is alright, I personally like epox's layout a little more. On the IN9 the sata ports will be behind the atx cable, and since they are rotated 90deg getting things plugged in will be a bit of a hassle (the cords will be behind the 5.25 bays.) I went with a raid-0 instead of a raptor, because you get a more constant read/write performance gain vs. the minor random seek time boost from a raptor.

If you want to do serious overclocking, this is not the board. Getting to 3.0 shouldn't be a problem but most people don't want to stop there. :) Just get a DFI board and save some time. :D

VISTA is awesome on newer machines. I used to run 2gb of ram without a single hiccup. No driver issues (x64) and not a single crash. Only one program has malfunctioned, and it is an unsupported guitar tuning app written for win95. Crysis is amazing, and I can still play while my roommates are watching streamed movies (1080p :D) from it on the 360.

Little side note: I have had good luck with overclocking wintec memory, it's cheap and surprisingly tolerant of timing.

If you want more help, go to EOCF.com it's a great place.

My setup:
                          Antec P182
                          Epox MF570SLI
                          AMD 5400x2 2.8 (running 3.2 on air w/ zalman)
                          Antec TruePower Trio 650w
                          4gb Wintec DDR800 (5-5-5-14 @850)
                          2x 300gb WD Sata2 Raid-0
                          ATI x1950xt (about to be upgraded)
                          2x LG L2000c (20.1" 1600x1200)

Comment

can you pm me and tell me how to make an iso of a disc?

Comment

Vista is terribly bad for a gaming machine. I hear people all the time on WoW. They play many games other than WoW, and have had problems with Vista on all of them.
                              1995 Pontiac Firebird
                              2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X