Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The acquisition of stuff

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
    I see kids begging their mommy and daddy for goofy toys that will probably end up lodged in their septum (or rectum)
    And I thought I was the only one who wanted a gerbil for Christmas! :banana:
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I typically HATE X-mas. My family calls me the Grinch because I hate it so much. The term "the perfect gift" that is used in EVERY holiday commercial sums up why I hate it. Everyone is so fixated on the amount spent and getting something "perfect". People complaining it's not "what they wanted" or getting upset because so-and-so spent less on them then they did. Or my family members asking me exactly what I want - right down to the color shape, whatever. In which case, I tell everyone I'll buy whatever I want for myself. you buy what you want for yourself, and that way, there are no complaints. ergo the end of X-mas. and I'm FINE with that. I rarely spend money on myself, so it works out to be cheaper for me.

With ONE brand new (this year) exception to me hating X-mas. My three year old is SO excited. Not by gifts, or the spirit of giving or all of that horse ****. He loves the lights, the music boxes, the X-mas music. He asked me the other day if I could put up lights on the outside of the house. We drove to target, bought some lights, and I let him pick out one large front yard display. So this weekend, I plan on decorating my house. Not over the top, better than your neightbors bullsh*t, but some lights to make my son happy. He is also thrilled to go see Santa this year. (not to ask for things, to meet him).

And THAT my friends is what X-mas is about. Not giving, not receiving, not good will towards men, trying to buy your kid's love, or making kids behave. It's about taking a ****ty time of year (winter) and making kids happy and excited.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

I agree with you guys mostly...

I think i live pretty simply but I do like to have cool toys (as long as I'll actually use them, otherwise its stupid to waste the money). For instance, i like to play video games, and build things... SOOO i built a second computer. I like to play my music loud, so i bought an expensive surround sound system. The difference is, those things aren't what define me. What defines me is my hockey gear, and my love of cars.... The ONLY possessions of mine that I would actually lose sleep over if I lost are two things... well three: my car, my laptop, and my bed (its hard to sleep on the floor LOL)

The thing i hate about christmas is twofold:
        1. Its a payday to most people, like you guys said. The reasoning kinda runs into the other thing i hate:
        2. Good will towards men. it sounds GREAT on paper but how stupid is it when you think about it? How come this time of year we're supposed to treat anyone differently than the rest of the year? It makes for empty feelings and being fake. Why would i stop to help someone at christmas time and not in July? Why should I give more to charity in December than in October? Why should I try to be a better person at christmas than at Easter?If i dont like my uncle, why the hell would i go see him because its christmas? If my sister pissed me off, why should i be buying her a gift? If someone makes me happy in my life, i give them a gift because i believe they deserve it. Why should the time of year matter?
        Good will towards men is somethign we're SUPPOSED to do our whole lives, not just at christmas. Christmas is a RELIGIOUS holiday. Thats it. Its the time when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. The ideals that He taught us aren't supposed to be enacted only at certain times. You're supposed to be selfless everyday. Christmas should carry NO weight in your attitude. The fact that people associate kindness with a time of year means that they';re fake in my book. I treat people just the same the whole year around, because I a nice guy and i like to see people happy and have positive impacts on people's lives.
        Treating people better at christmas seems to me to be a self defeating end. You only did it because you were pressured by society and your public image to do it. You didnt buy me a gift because I made a positive impact on you, you did it because you felt you had to, otherwise you'd look bad. So basicallly, when you boil it down, you are acting nice because it makes YOU feel better about yourself. The Christmas season has gone from being kind and selfless to making YOU feel better about yourself, and ergo, any meaning to any gift is lost, and Christmas has become nothing more than a payday and a booster to the economy. Its the biggest ego-boosting holiday.

If you doubt my logic, think of what people would act like if they bought everyone gifts, and recieved NOTHING in return. They'd be pissed! BUT THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF BUYING GIFTS!!!! NOT TO EXPECT ANYTHING IN RETURN!!! You do it out of the kindness of your heart, and expect nothing. Only then are you truely living up to the ideal of selflessness. Nothing in return. If you get something, then great! but it shouldn't be expected.

Ugh....

[/rant]
        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

i agree with you wes. i hate how the world is so brain washed into consumerism in general, not just for christmas
          Dave:
          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

i stopped reading your giberish and started thinking about what I want this year, i just got myself the iphone, which ****ing rocks. And next I need to get all my parts installed on the cobra, kenne bell, rims & dr's, springs, pulleys. Buy buy buy, spend spend spend

colts<packers<patriots

WOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
              Christmas is a RELIGIOUS holiday. Thats it. Its the time when we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.
              I was 100% with you up to this part. Actually, X-mas falls on Winter Solstice, which was celebrated by pagans. JC's birthday is sometime in the spring (exact date unknown, but thought to be March/April). Christians moved their celebration of JC's birth to Winter Solstice so they could celebrate w/o being arrested and crucified.

Beyond that. It has evolved over time and is celebrated by non-Christians as well. To THEM, it is not a religious holiday. While it still careers massive Christian undertones, it is not a strictly religious holiday, and it never was.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                If you doubt my logic, think of what people would act like if they bought everyone gifts, and recieved NOTHING in return. They'd be pissed! BUT THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF BUYING GIFTS!!!! NOT TO EXPECT ANYTHING IN RETURN!!! You do it out of the kindness of your heart, and expect nothing. Only then are you truely living up to the ideal of selflessness. Nothing in return. If you get something, then great! but it shouldn't be expected.
                I understand where you and everyone else is coming from but I have always got my friends and family gifts sense I was about 10 and started a Christmas savings account. I never had a friend buy me a gift also until I was 19 and I wasn't pissed.

This will be the 3rd Christmas I have been with my gf and her two kids.

Our first one together I received a dragon statue. The kids received gobs of toys, her birthday was the 20th so I dont remember what was what but she got a digital camera, diamond tennis bracelet, leather jacket, along with alot of other stuff. I wasn't pissed, I was happy because it was the first Christmas they had ever had where the man/father in their lives was more worried about making them happy then wanting to go out and get high or whatever.

Last year, our 2nd Christmas together, I received a new tool box and socket set that I needed. Once again they got everything their hearts desired within reason. I wasn't pissed because they didn't spend as much money on me, I was happy.

This year my gf has been off work for 6 weeks due to a torn miniscus in her knee and ran out of vacation time a while ago so I'm paying all bills because she has no money. She wont go back to work until 1st of Dec and will not get a check until Dec 30th. Guess what I'll be getting, nothing. Am I pissed? No, not at all. I'll be out there Friday to find deals for all 3 of them.

My point is, not everyone is out for their self. There are some people who still beleive in giving to others.

Christmas is a time to appreciate life.
                Originally posted by kala
                I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                parting her out

Comment

It's all about social capital: what makes you happy. For some, sitting around in a spartan-esque apartment gets their rocks off...for others, having the next new thing is what brings them joy. The point is, it's the same feeling, just met by different means...so is it really worth getting all worked up over?

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                    It's all about social capital: what makes you happy. For some, sitting around in a spartan-esque apartment gets their rocks off...for others, having the next new thing is what brings them joy. The point is, it's the same feeling, just met by different means...so is it really worth getting all worked up over?
                    Difference is that one can positively effect their environment, while the other can negatively effect it.
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird
                    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Everyone likes nice things. I think there is so many people that try to be IM SOMEBODY.

Comment

is rather sit in a tub full of salt water and razor blades than tell you all the reasons i hate this time of year.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                        Or this

Comment

hes EMO!.... lol in my case... what i usually do is 2-3 weeks before christmas i grab my dusty guitar.. and try to compose a song with all that happened to me this year... then i try to sing it on Christmas Eve when all my family is here then after that we just Grab any music book or karaoke and sing our hearts out...

Material Stuff = joy...
                          FAMILY = Satisfaction...
                          did i mention i was a contestant for Canadian Idol?

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
                          Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
                            Difference is that one can positively effect their environment, while the other can negatively effect it.
                            You're still missing the point. You know that feeling you get when you sit back and enjoy your life on your terms? Believe it or not, there are other ways to get that feeling...Some get that feeling from raising a big family, others get that feeling from putting in alot of hours at work, a few get it from donating their time/money to those that are less fortunate...and get this...some get it by buying themselves or others tons of gifts. I know it sounds crazy, but all these things do produce the same feeling of satisfaction and joy that you get from your life. And let's be frank: the world is a pretty terrible and horrific place when you take it as it is. So I say, anything that can offer a breif escape from that truth and not cause harm to someone else, go for it. Or, I totally missed your point and you're talking about harming the environment in the sense of the cardboard boxes and packing material generated by them buying new stuff. If that's your beef, set up a recycling program in your neighborhood

Oh, I do find it deliciously ironic that the moderator of the for sale/wanted section is complaining about people being preoccupied with buying things

Comment

Hey Mr Grinch! Don't steal my Christmas!

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                              i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                              R.I.P. '07 Pats
                              Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X