The acquisition of stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The acquisition of stuff

As it comes closer to the holiday season, I see the grins on the parents, kids, middle-aged, baby-boomer people that reminds me of the pure greed that overwhelmingly controls this country and most of the modern world. I see kids begging their mommy and daddy for goofy toys that will probably end up lodged in their septum (or rectum), I see grown adults eyeballing expensive technological consumer electronics that do nothing but become obsolete in 3 months. I see worn out parents who want to go on a two week vacation to some third world country that sells off its own citizens to serve us at all-inclusive resorts.:tdown:

Is everyone here only consumed with getting more and more toys every Christmas? Does everyone here celebrate Christmas for three months straight, hoping that every night they get something else they don't ****ing need? I know it may sound hypocritical of me after making a post about an iPhone, but I don't NEED an iPhone. I don't pray everynight for one, I don't lose sleep over the fact I didn't get one, and I don't hope everyday that my GF buys me one or she doesn't love me. Ive led a pretty simple life. Im 26 years old, I own two laundry baskets of clothing, a 7 year old TV, a computer that is as old as this board itself, two broken cars, a set of golf clubs, and some tools. Everything for the exception of the cars can fit in a 12x12 room, and still have room for MUCH more. But I think when it comes to stuff, I really don't need much, never wanted much, never seen the lust that some people have for material possessions. Im kinda curious if there is anyone else on this board that thinks there is more to life than just the life game of getting stuff....

Wes
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Re: The acquisition of stuff

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
    As it comes closer to the holiday season, I see the grins on the parents, kids, middle-aged, baby-boomer people that reminds me of the pure greed that overwhelmingly controls this country and most of the modern world. I see kids begging their mommy and daddy for goofy toys that will probably end up lodged in their septum (or rectum), I see grown adults eyeballing expensive technological consumer electronics that do nothing but become obsolete in 3 months. I see worn out parents who want to go on a two week vacation to some third world country that sells off its own citizens to serve us at all-inclusive resorts.:tdown:

Is everyone here only consumed with getting more and more toys every Christmas? Does everyone here celebrate Christmas for three months straight, hoping that every night they get something else they don't ****ing need? I know it may sound hypocritical of me after making a post about an iPhone, but I don't NEED an iPhone. I don't pray everynight for one, I don't lose sleep over the fact I didn't get one, and I don't hope everyday that my GF buys me one or she doesn't love me. Ive led a pretty simple life. Im 26 years old, I own two laundry baskets of clothing, a 7 year old TV, a computer that is as old as this board itself, two broken cars, a set of golf clubs, and some tools. Everything for the exception of the cars can fit in a 12x12 room, and still have room for MUCH more. But I think when it comes to stuff, I really don't need much, never wanted much, never seen the lust that some people have for material possessions. Im kinda curious if there is anyone else on this board that thinks there is more to life than just the life game of getting stuff....

Wes

I have only been on this board for a little while, and I seem to get the idea that you aren't a very happy person.

Anyway, honestly I feel much the same way you do about this. Too many people thrive off of having the NEW and BEST stuff. And what does that prove? All I see that it proves is that you have a lot of money and thats all you want to do with it, buy new stuff. If you are financially "stable" that by all means do what you want with your money, but seriously, some people make me sick.
    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRider
      I have only been on this board for a little while, and I seem to get the idea that you aren't a very happy person.

Anyway, honestly I feel much the same way you do about this. Too many people thrive off of having the NEW and BEST stuff. And what does that prove? All I see that it proves is that you have a lot of money and thats all you want to do with it, buy new stuff. If you are financially "stable" that by all means do what you want with your money, but seriously, some people make me sick.
      I wouldn't say that I am unhappy as a whole. Im happy with my job, first time ever that I can go into work and not stare at the clock and WAIT for it to be the time to leave. I just see ads on TV, and in the paper, and live in basically a huge shopping mall (if anyone in the Chicagoland area has been to Schaumburg, you would know). I watched a kid today throw a biggest fit ever because his mom wouldn't take him to McDonalds. Ive been working two blocks from the Sears Tower for the last two weeks, and there are a few stores between where I am working and the train station, and I have been hoofing it to and from to save money on gas and parking, so I have seen grown adults stuck to windows looking at crap they don't really need, making Christmas lists like some spoiled child. I think its sickening, and being around it all the time is disturbing to me at times.
      1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

dont let it get you down. I think the problem is you think about it too much. Just relax and dont let others actions get you down. I hate the the bratty little kids and the rich teenage girl whos dad buys her anything she wants as much as you do. But why let things you cant control get you down?

Get in the holdiday spirit, take your gf out to a nice dinner, or to see christmas lights or something

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
          dont let it get you down. I think the problem is you think about it too much. Just relax and dont let others actions get you down. I hate the the bratty little kids and the rich teenage girl whos dad buys her anything she wants as much as you do. But why let things you cant control get you down?

Get in the holdiday spirit, take your gf out to a nice dinner, or to see christmas lights or something
          yeah......doesn't happen often, but you have completely confused me. I have no clue what you are saying.

Wait wait wait.....do you think I am depressed because I don't have stuff??? ROFL!!! I guess I have to explain myself a little better. Most of the older members know me well enough, I figure it would be the ones that are newer that don't understand me very well. The reason why such things like greed disgust me is because I don't believe in it. Im not in this world for the aquisition of things that will do nothing for me in the long run, I am in it for the experience. I have lived by the belief that when you die, all you will ever really have is what you believe, and what you experience, and those experiences are what really make a person. No amount of money is worth missing out on what you can experience, and those experiences are priceless. The part that I find disturbing is that a majority of people that I have been around dont believe anything remotely close to that. They think that stuff is going to get them thru life, beyond the boredom, or get them friends, or whatever. This is the main reason why I am kinda different from most everyone on this board, is because I have realized that stuff will never do anything for you. I may own little, but I also have peace of mind, something even the richest man can't buy, and it is worth everything to me.

No my friend, I am far from depressed, just saddened by the fact that no one else realizes that we live only once, and that we need to all take in what we can while we can, and stop wasting time and money on things.:tup:
          Last edited by Mogobs30th; 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

I can see where you're coming from. For me, Christmas isn't about getting things. First of all, I always derive more pleasure out of giving gifts to ppl and then watching their reactions. Secondly, the thing about Christmas that matters most to me is getting together with family and going to Church on Christmas Eve, even though I'm not incredibly religious. To be honest, I could do without the commercialization of it all.

When I have my own family, I want my children to have everything they need, and nothing they don't, but its hard to know where to draw the line. I started working at the age of ten delivering a few newspapers daily, and right then I began buying my own things. I think this is really the only way for subsequent generations to appreciate the pleasure of earning, not simply getting that typifies the North American Christmas.

Comment

I just get pissed when parents buy their kids 15 to 50 thousand dollar cars who are in highschool that when they total their car they get a nicer , alot faster one and they don't work.

Comment

I can honestly say this might be the most fun I've had to get things for my close friends. Because I've been taking pictures of their new son for months and plan on making a book for them. That's what giving is about... from the heart, not the wallet.
                FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
                Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
                Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

i feel ya man
                  i want a few things
                  a decent car
                  a decent stereo
                  and a decent place to live
                  every one is so fixated on stuff..........
                  it drives up prices and drives people apart its crazy

Comment

i feel ya wes...i hate a lot of people in this world because they dont apperciate what they have instead of being pissy and sad by what they dont...

87 Firebird RIP
                    96 Camaro RS RIP
                    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
                      yeah......doesn't happen often, but you have completely confused me. I have no clue what you are saying.

Wait wait wait.....do you think I am depressed because I don't have stuff??? ROFL!!! I guess I have to explain myself a little better. Most of the older members know me well enough, I figure it would be the ones that are newer that don't understand me very well. The reason why such things like greed disgust me is because I don't believe in it. Im not in this world for the aquisition of things that will do nothing for me in the long run, I am in it for the experience. I have lived by the belief that when you die, all you will ever really have is what you believe, and what you experience, and those experiences are what really make a person. No amount of money is worth missing out on what you can experience, and those experiences are priceless. The part that I find disturbing is that a majority of people that I have been around dont believe anything remotely close to that. They think that stuff is going to get them thru life, beyond the boredom, or get them friends, or whatever. This is the main reason why I am kinda different from most everyone on this board, is because I have realized that stuff will never do anything for you. I may own little, but I also have peace of mind, something even the richest man can't buy, and it is worth everything to me.

No my friend, I am far from depressed, just saddened by the fact that no one else realizes that we live only once, and that we need to all take in what we can while we can, and stop wasting time and money on things.:tup:
                      ever look into hinduism? lol
                      1999 Camaro Z/28
                      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

I'm with you wes. I could care less about what I have really, as long as i'm able to survive semi-comfortably (clothes, food, etc.). I have my car, my skateboard, and a few other things and thats about it. But what else do I really need?
                        Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

I totally agree. When someone dies, it's so easy to forget them if all they did was buy expensive things for themselves. It's hard to forget someone that was selfless and instead used their time to touch as many peoples lives as they could.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i also agree. the number one thing in my life that i value isn't my cars, home or money, it's my family. a day can't go by that i don't get to see them. i'm in the process of buying a house, and it's not the house that i'm looking forward too, it's the furture.
                            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I made a pretty big thread about something similar on cz28.com

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556553

Money isn't everything but it does make nice things...

I'd rather drive a FWD sedan, have a nomal tv, but go on a nice trip for the life experience. Even if just a trip to another state. Doesn't have to be extravagent and overseas...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X