Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAW on strike

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
    Steve, UAW workers DONT make 120k a year. if they did, then the engineers would all be fighting over each other to be union sweepers.

haha i love my state: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...UTOTALKS072007
    so while UAW workers dont work for the company while they're in teh job pool and are paid 95% of they're weekly salary, we still condemn other people for being paid without working
    :bs: They do make that much WITH the overtime and these MORONS continue to give them the overtime!! That's like 2 more bodies that can work and TRY to feed a damn family. Maybe line workers should not be buying Caddy's every other year... or have 3 Harley's in the garage. I've been around the auto industry my whole life in one way, shape or form. The unions have dug themselves into a hole that only they can bail out.

The auto companies have given enough already.. the unions need to make concessions now. And I'm sorry, but having health care AFTER you stop working is more :bs:

Oh.. and the job pool.. that's ALL UNION buddy. Their little "oh we'll make sure you have a job" line. It's costs the members a ton to be in the union and they only have a bank roll of about 10 weeks if they strike.

Where did all the money go?? OH yeah.. we paid the union president 6 figure salary.. then we have the VP of the union.. and all the stewards, etc,etc...

Think I'm bitter... YOU BET I AM :tup:
    FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
    Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
    Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
      Steve, UAW workers DONT make 120k a year. if they did, then the engineers would all be fighting over each other to be union sweepers. you gotta understand that the figures that the newspapers spit out are grossly inflated. I had a long discussion with my uncle who's been a Ford UAW worker for 15 years. On April 15, he declares $46k a year income. They tack on all sorts of other benefits and whatnot and add it all up to get the 80K a year figure. My uncle's point was twofold: 1. When their incomes are compared to teachers salaries (often done) why dont they factor in all the benefits teachers get? his wife is a nurse and they could just as easily be covered by her plan for less... are they going to pay him the extra money per year for that health plan? No. He says the people you hear about making 90K a year LIVE at the factory and collect massive overtime. And 2. If you screw up and drink on the job or w/e, you're taken to "umpire" where the company has to act as a prosecutor and the UAW acts as a defense attorney. He said that 9 times out of 10 the company simply doesnt put together strong cases to get people fired so they're just as guilty. And if you're fired, the union will help you back only if you've proven that you've gone thru rehab, counciling, etc.

Personally, I do believe that the unions need to make some serious concessions or perhaps laws enacted to protect people's jobs. Their main concern is that the company will fire higher paid veterans fo no reason but to higher a younger worker. Thats why they have that "job pool" where they do charity work at 95% weekly pay. The problem with it is that you can stay in the job pool indefinately.

I believe the union DOES help people and protects them from unnecessary b/s. The bigger a company gets, the more they tend to overlook the guys in the trenches. Now, Joe Shmoe in a small business might be paid a bit more b/c he's been around a while and you, the owner, know him, met his wife and 2.5 kids and would'nt screw him over. In a big company like GM, you could easily be thrown away because you're nothing more than an employee number and a larger than average wage. They CAN serve a good purpose, within reason, but reason has been completely overrun. There IS no reason now. Just take take take.

But when the union prevents the company from moving into certain markets (like cheap econo-cars, where margins are very slim) because they just wouldn't be profitable, then they've overstepped their bounds.

The union has had to cut a bunch of jobs and deal w/ buyouts over the past few years. They're facing smaller membership, and they want to guarantee their survival. The fewer the members, the less power the union has whereas GM wants to be able to cut jobs if they dont need them.

GM has to stay strong and show the union that they mean business. If they cave, they will walk another step closer to bankruptcy.

haha i love my state: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...UTOTALKS072007
      so while UAW workers dont work for the company while they're in teh job pool and are paid 95% of they're weekly salary, we still condemn other people for being paid without working

go to this site for hometown updates on the strike and comments by citizens of the "Motor City"
      http://www.freep.com

And in other news, ladies and genlemen, Toyota continues to build vehicles.
      this sums everything i was about to type so i will jsut quote it
      and to summarize
      just cuz they work at GM and are int he UAW does not mean the make 100,000+ a year
      my mom started working skill trades in 96 and brought home less than 40,000
      i made more than her my first year out of college
      and in 96 GM was still boomin

actually im going to stop typing here cuz i know how stupid people get over union threads
      i just wish everyone would use a little logic and some facts in their arguments rather than idiotic blanket statements
      millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
        :bs: They do make that much WITH the overtime and these MORONS continue to give them the overtime!! That's like 2 more bodies that can work and TRY to feed a damn family. Maybe line workers should not be buying Caddy's every other year... or have 3 Harley's in the garage. I've been around the auto industry my whole life in one way, shape or form. The unions have dug themselves into a hole that only they can bail out.

The auto companies have given enough already.. the unions need to make concessions now. And I'm sorry, but having health care AFTER you stop working is more :bs:

Oh.. and the job pool.. that's ALL UNION buddy. Their little "oh we'll make sure you have a job" line. It's costs the members a ton to be in the union and they only have a bank roll of about 10 weeks if they strike.

Where did all the money go?? OH yeah.. we paid the union president 6 figure salary.. then we have the VP of the union.. and all the stewards, etc,etc...

Think I'm bitter... YOU BET I AM :tup:
        bitter and off base
        millionformarriage.org

Comment

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.... don't like it, don't read it. I read everyone elses, and stated mine.

If I'm off base... explain. Because everything I read and see, says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by LD
            this sums everything i was about to type so i will jsut quote it
            and to summarize
            just cuz they work at GM and are int he UAW does not mean the make 100,000+ a year
            my mom started working skill trades in 96 and brought home less than 40,000
            i made more than her my first year out of college
            and in 96 GM was still boomin

actually im going to stop typing here cuz i know how stupid people get over union threads
            i just wish everyone would use a little logic and some facts in their arguments rather than idiotic blanket statements

You should be paid more, you are a college graduate...

People in the auto industry make too much money for what they do. I do not feel the least bit sorry for anyone in the UAW, the only ones I worry about are the retired people, I don't feel they earned their retirement plans, but I do feel that they shouldn't have stuff taken away they were promised.

$40k a year, to work in a plant? Thats rediculous imo....

**** I'd love to have a job with the auto industry...

and sorry saw a report on the news... WHY THE **** DOES THE UAW, HAVE WHAT LOOKS LIKE A $60 MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS...

how much do workers pay in UAW "fees"

Comment

My thoughts... F*** them. If they can't make up their minds on their damn contract and they want to suck every last penny for a mindless job, they can stay the heck off the line. Maybe then someone will step up and offer to work the same job for a half-way reasonable wage.

Electrical Workers unions have my respect, but the UAW is just ridiculous. It doesn't take an apprenticeship to install a door panel.

Detroit... wake the he11 up.

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
                Everyone is entitled to an opinion.... don't like it, don't read it. I read everyone elses, and stated mine.

If I'm off base... explain. Because everything I read and see, says otherwise.
                i have explained in the other thread and quoted a great explanation in this one
                the union is conceding all over the place
                they have frozen wages
                they have taken lay offs
                they have relaxed on the rigidness of "thats not my job" they got rid of a whole class of skill trades and combined it with another one then laid some off
                they keep backing down, and now its time to stand up and say stop shipping our jobs overseas and americans are screaming at them for it
                you may read them, but you will never see another POV than your own, and I guess i wont either
                millionformarriage.org

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                  You should be paid more, you are a college graduate...
                  my mom has far more education that I ever will

People in the auto industry make too much money for what they do. I do not feel the least bit sorry for anyone in the UAW, the only ones I worry about are the retired people, I don't feel they earned their retirement plans, but I do feel that they shouldn't have stuff taken away they were promised.
                  you dont even have a clue as to what they do, who is they?
                  are you lumping every uaw member into one group?

$40k a year, to work in a plant? Thats rediculous imo....
                  are you kidding?
                  i make more than that sitting at a desk
                  do you have any idea as to what they do?
                  my mom is a skill trades toolmaker
                  she had 4 years of college and 4 years of apprenticeship training (more college)
                  8 years of school and she made about 36,000 - 38,000 first year
                  there are some amazing intelligent people at GM plants that work very hard
                  people dont want to look at those
                  omg look at that lazy guy
                  THERE ARE LAZY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!!
                  i have a coworker that LITERALLY does NOTHING all day
                  he plays games on his computer for 45+ hours a week
                  he gets paid 60,000+ a year to do it
                  and we arent union
                  guaranteed you can find lazy people anywhere
                  but u can also find hard workers, its where you choose to look
                  millionformarriage.org

Comment

There are lazy people everywhere, unions just ensure they stay there and continue being lazy. And here's a tip for your mom, if she doesn't like what she's gettting paid and she has enough schooling GET ANOTHER JOB. And yeah 40k a year should be about the max to assist a robot. This is the reason why the big three costs so much and why they will shortly be beaten out by foreign cars.
                    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Funny.. I had drinks last night with some union guys and auto analysts and they all say the same thing...

But your right... you can't ever be wrong because your in the middle of it all :rolleyes:

Comment

I feel like I'm reading a repost from a few yrs back, last they striked, iirc.
                        1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                        94 comero 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by LD
                          my mom has far more education that I ever will

you dont even have a clue as to what they do, who is they?
                          are you lumping every uaw member into one group?

are you kidding?
                          i make more than that sitting at a desk
                          do you have any idea as to what they do?
                          my mom is a skill trades toolmaker
                          she had 4 years of college and 4 years of apprenticeship training (more college)
                          8 years of school and she made about 36,000 - 38,000 first year
                          there are some amazing intelligent people at GM plants that work very hard
                          people dont want to look at those
                          omg look at that lazy guy
                          THERE ARE LAZY PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!!!
                          i have a coworker that LITERALLY does NOTHING all day
                          he plays games on his computer for 45+ hours a week
                          he gets paid 60,000+ a year to do it
                          and we arent union
                          guaranteed you can find lazy people anywhere
                          but u can also find hard workers, its where you choose to look

I am not saying per se they are all LAZY.... But guess what... there are lots of non-lazy people in jobs. At my job the employees work a million times harder then the managers(as in most jobs) but the managers job is not to work, but to make sure the work gets done. If the work is getting done, then he has nothing to do but make sure it keeps getting done.

so he could do something like play video games all day.

If your mom has as much schooling as she does, she needs to move on and get a better job.

But guess what, I have had 5 employees clean up after 3,000 people in a movie theatre, they busted their asses and worked hard...

Does that mean they deserve $60k a year? Just because they are hard workers?

Comment

The USA has no cred left overseas, so to stop shipping jobs overseas is a loosing battle, as we cant get trade discussions going. And tariffs would be a loosing proposition, as always. Harley and CHrysler got the last bail-outs...
                            Car jobs will become low wage soon, either thru maker shutdowns, or lack of union leverage. It is only a matter of time. No reason for the taxpayer to suffer (again). Treat it like the airlines. Now we must bail out bad home loan borrowers and lenders; gimme a break!
                            That said, everybody looks out for their own interests. The UAW will fight for their perks til they retire, and the jobs left will be equal to a chicken plant sorter's. There is no turning back now, because we acted too late after the lessons of the 70s and 80s. We are even still fighting for oil to run our SUVs.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc
                              Buy back majority control of their companies so they don't need to listen to the bs the shareholders are dealing out
                              impossible. When sales are plummeting where do you get BILLIONS just to buy stock to maintain control. Shareholders are not as unreasonable as people think. Shareholders buy stock in the hope that company will do the right thing and make them money. Nothing wrong with that. I think what you may have meant to say is that the board of directors should get their collective heads out of their collective asses.

Originally posted by youngsc
                              and shut down and move to a non union state so they don't need to put up with the bull.
                              close mutli-million dollar plants, rebuild multi-million dollar plants and move away from your skilled workforce? This doesn't sound reasonable either.

Didn't we JUST have a union thread go bad? Nice work Hokiebird :poke: :stp: :)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Unions seemed to have forgotten about stock holders... and that GM is out to make a profit. They are out to cover there collective butts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X