UAW on strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAW on strike

UAW workers walked off the lines today. Thoughts?

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/24/news...ion=2007092411

Re: UAW on strike

I have two thoughts...

1. Hmmmm, nows my chance to get a job with GM.

2. Don't buy a G6 anytime soon.

Rob
    \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

Originally posted by rt1
      I have two thoughts...

1. Hmmmm, nows my chance to get a job with GM.

2. Don't buy a G6 anytime soon.

Rob
      lol, unhappy workers make unhappy cars

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
        lol, unhappy workers make unhappy cars
        I had heard a while ago about a study that said not to buy a car made on a Monday or a Friday also. LOL

The crap they waste $ on to do a study.

Rob
        \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

One more reason why domestic made vehicles are so much money. People keep wanting more for what a machine is basically doing for them. Here's my thoughts, the big three should do one of two or both things to save their arses. Buy back majority control of their companies so they don't need to listen to the bs the shareholders are dealing out and shut down and move to a non union state so they don't need to put up with the bull. You don't need to get paid $40 an hour and get full everything just to make sure a robot is doing their job. The problem with unions is they promote lazy *** no good mother****ers to get the same rights and privlages as those that bust their *** all day. There's not incentive and therefore no motivation to do your job, ****ing earn your paycheck lazy ****s.
          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

And people wonder why cars cost so much these days >.> Paying some lazy ***** to do nothing so a robot can build a car...Meh.

Comment

Seems the UAW is not the IBEW :)
              Originally posted by kala
              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

Unions will KILL the American Auto industry. PERIOD.
                FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
                Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
                Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

hell im sure there are enough people with out jobs in detroit, this will be good news for them.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

No, not really. We have enough problems here with jobs, housing market, etc. If this lasts for any length of time, it will take MONTHS for us to get back to this point... much less the "golden" era.

Comment

Not to mention I'm not familiar with union law, thank god, but they can't go and just hire replacements to do the job while they are on strike can they? Otherwise you can easily find someone to do the job a lot cheaper thus solving said problem.
                      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
                        Unions will KILL the American Auto industry. PERIOD.
                        yup... i've been saying this for years.. Look out for Harley taking a fall as well. any time a company is paying a worker $20 an hour to sweep floors, its probably in trouble... especially in a manufacturing environment.
                        Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

An "honest days pay, for an honest days work" is nice and all, but does not happen when UNIONS are involved. It's "who's *** can I stick my nose up, to get what I want".

If you sweep floors, you HAVE got to expect your going to max out on salary.. and maxing out at 120K a year (yes.. uaw sweepers make that) is JUST unreasonable!!!

Comment

for 120k/year... id pick cow **** up with a spoon.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                            http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                            Or this

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
                              An "honest days pay, for an honest days work" is nice and all, but does not happen when UNIONS are involved. It's "who's *** can I stick my nose up, to get what I want".

If you sweep floors, you HAVE got to expect your going to max out on salary.. and maxing out at 120K a year (yes.. uaw sweepers make that) is JUST unreasonable!!!
                              Steve, UAW workers DONT make 120k a year. if they did, then the engineers would all be fighting over each other to be union sweepers. you gotta understand that the figures that the newspapers spit out are grossly inflated. I had a long discussion with my uncle who's been a Ford UAW worker for 15 years. On April 15, he declares $46k a year income. They tack on all sorts of other benefits and whatnot and add it all up to get the 80K a year figure. My uncle's point was twofold: 1. When their incomes are compared to teachers salaries (often done) why dont they factor in all the benefits teachers get? his wife is a nurse and they could just as easily be covered by her plan for less... are they going to pay him the extra money per year for that health plan? No. He says the people you hear about making 90K a year LIVE at the factory and collect massive overtime. And 2. If you screw up and drink on the job or w/e, you're taken to "umpire" where the company has to act as a prosecutor and the UAW acts as a defense attorney. He said that 9 times out of 10 the company simply doesnt put together strong cases to get people fired so they're just as guilty. And if you're fired, the union will help you back only if you've proven that you've gone thru rehab, counciling, etc.

Personally, I do believe that the unions need to make some serious concessions or perhaps laws enacted to protect people's jobs. Their main concern is that the company will fire higher paid veterans fo no reason but to higher a younger worker. Thats why they have that "job pool" where they do charity work at 95% weekly pay. The problem with it is that you can stay in the job pool indefinately.

I believe the union DOES help people and protects them from unnecessary b/s. The bigger a company gets, the more they tend to overlook the guys in the trenches. Now, Joe Shmoe in a small business might be paid a bit more b/c he's been around a while and you, the owner, know him, met his wife and 2.5 kids and would'nt screw him over. In a big company like GM, you could easily be thrown away because you're nothing more than an employee number and a larger than average wage. They CAN serve a good purpose, within reason, but reason has been completely overrun. There IS no reason now. Just take take take.

But when the union prevents the company from moving into certain markets (like cheap econo-cars, where margins are very slim) because they just wouldn't be profitable, then they've overstepped their bounds.

The union has had to cut a bunch of jobs and deal w/ buyouts over the past few years. They're facing smaller membership, and they want to guarantee their survival. The fewer the members, the less power the union has whereas GM wants to be able to cut jobs if they dont need them.

GM has to stay strong and show the union that they mean business. If they cave, they will walk another step closer to bankruptcy.

haha i love my state: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...UTOTALKS072007
                              so while UAW workers dont work for the company while they're in teh job pool and are paid 95% of they're weekly salary, we still condemn other people for being paid without working

go to this site for hometown updates on the strike and comments by citizens of the "Motor City"
                              http://www.freep.com

And in other news, ladies and genlemen, Toyota continues to build vehicles.
                              2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X