Offline for a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offline for a bit

ouch, sorry to hear steve. your friend will be in my prayers.

look like the "dragon" is getting more popular with the grim reaper.....

Friday July 13, 2007 - Two Florida riders were the second and third fatalities on the Dragon in 2007. According to witnesses the three-wheel Honda crossed the centerline and struck a vehicle towing a boat. The trike was northbound near mile 1.5 near The Wall. US129 was closed for several hours after the 5:30 PM accident while the scene was cleared. Another bike following the trike was also involved, but the rider refused treatment.

Comment

Yes, the Dragon has a tendencey to "bite" back. This seems to be a year for it to take more than it's share of family and friends already this year.

From the Oakland Press

"HOYT, KEVIN JAMES; age 40; of Highland; passed away tragically on July 12, 2007. Loving husband of Linda; dear father of Ryan (Stephanie) and Ashley; beloved son of Judy and Gary Hoyt; brother of Keith (Kelley), Michael (Debbie), Jeffrey (Ed) and Retta (Kevin); son-in-law of Janice; and brother-in-law of Todd (Josie), Colleen (Tom) and Thom; uncle to several nieces and nephews. Kevin was known as "Captain" of the Detroit Mafia Sports Bike Club. The Funeral Service will be 11 a.m. Wednesday, July 18, 2007 at the Highland Chapel of the Elton Black & Son Funeral Home, 3295 E. Highland Rd. Visitation will be on Tuesday from 3 to 8 p.m. and on Wednesday from 10 a.m. until the time of service. In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Hoyt family. Please visit www.mem.com to share a memory with the family."

Ross "Rossi" on the left, Kevin "Captain" on the right. This was the last picture taken by the 3rd rider that was with them on the way back to the cabin. About 20 mins before the accident.

Still working on getting my thoughts, surrounding myself with family and friends, calling my parents to let them know how much they mean to me, as they don't really approve of me riding, and we don't talk very much. Funny thing... I called my father, who for the most part is not very active in my life. His new wife answered the phone and immediately knew something was wrong, handed the phone to my father. She then called one of my closest friends (her son) that was not with us and got the details at the same time I was telling my father. I know he understands this and feels for me, I have his 78 'Zuki in my garage waiting for a rebuild. A bike that I grew up with and have pictures of me on as a child.

I'll post more in a few days. Have a friend of our group coming in from ATL to stay with me and attend the funeral. Our ATL friend gave us the tag D-Town Mafia as a joke and it stuck. We're a bunch of over 30 riders, but it's a fun joke among ourselves. When I read that in the obit, I lost it this morning. I didn't expect the family to add that information simply because of the accident, but they knew how much he loved the ride.

Steve
      FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
      Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
      Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Having somthing like a picture taken just minutes before a fatal accident really hammers home how brittle life is and why everyone should be enjoying and doing anything and everything it takes to make them happy. Sorry for your loss.
        Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Im sorry. :(

Will you re-evaluate your riding? Im sure you won't give it up, and I hope you don't, but when things like this happen, keeping the pace thru the corner and using all your rubber just doesnt seem worth the risk anymore. With all the stories like this floating around, I've definitley took it down a notch, and my friends are starting to follow suit.
          <a href=\"http://dpo.rpaisley.com/displayfile.do?file_id=11856&size=ORIGINAL\" target=\"_blank\">05 GTO</a><br /><a href=\"http://dpo.rpaisley.com/displayfile.do?file_id=2825&size=ORIGINAL\" target=\"_blank\">97 W68</a><br /><a href=\"http://dpo.rpai

Comment

Originally posted by JusFlyinBy
            Im sorry. :(

Will you re-evaluate your riding? Im sure you won't give it up, and I hope you don't, but when things like this happen, keeping the pace thru the corner and using all your rubber just doesnt seem worth the risk anymore. With all the stories like this floating around, I've definitley took it down a notch, and my friends are starting to follow suit.
            Thank you all!

Right now, most of us involved are just parking the bikes until after the funeral. One of our riders that had a small get off earlier in the day is calling it quits. A lot of that has to do with him having too much bike, 18 month old son at home and the bike causing more grief with his wife than it's worth. I'm sure he'll still be part of us as a whole, just running the chase truck from now on.
            FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
            Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
            Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

a loss is hard to bare, but remember among the grief to celebrate his life, and the changes he made inn all he met.
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

sorry to hear that man, I made the dragon last summer and could see how it could take a life very quickly.
                There were grumblings last summer of them closing the road for this very reason. I also saw many riders pushing their limits a little too far there. I hate to hear about a fellow rider go down and hope you and your friends find your way back in the saddle when you are ready. As a rider I would hate to be the person who caused anyone to stop riding because a good days ride can make a bad week seem worth it.
                -Brad
                98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X