Remote Start on Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remote Start on Manual

for some reason after my trans swap my cruise control doesnt work any more, i wonder why

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

I saw on a mustang site... guy had a remote start in his mustang. bumped it in his pocket car was in gear, moved forward, went up the parking stop, and the nose went over the car in front of it, then it came down with the weight of the mustang on the front of the other car...

Really ****ed up both cars.

Comment

so leave car in neutral all the time and rish having the parking brake go out, or leave it in gear and risk starting the car by mistake hmmm

or you can just do that thing that linus said, looks easy

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells
          so leave car in neutral all the time and rish having the parking brake go out, or leave it in gear and risk starting the car by mistake hmmm

or you can just do that thing that linus said, looks easy

Or just not have a remote start? I have never needed one :)

Comment

or that too lol

Comment

Yeah but when the temperature reaches -45 Celcius overnight on a regular basis it is a very nice feature to have on your vehicle. It's nice being able to push a button, roll out of bed and get ready, and by the time you get out to your vehicle the windows are defrosted and the motor has warmed up. I've even got my remote start wired up so that it shuts down if it doesnt have oil pressure after 15 seconds.

Most modern remote starters have a "ready mode" which you must engage before the remote start will work on a manual transmission. This means that you have to put the car in neutral, put the handbrake on, and take the keys out. The vehicle will remain running until you shut the door, at which point it will go into this "ready mode". If you open the doors while in "ready mode" it will disengage, and the remote starter will not work. This is a safety feature which I have seen on every system I have installed. I have wired up many different systems in the last couple years; including Autostart, Compustar, Clarion & Viper, and they all have this feature for manual transmissions.
              Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Linas, I liked your write-up on the neutral safety switch. Is that a switch that is included with remote starter packages? My shift lever doesn't even look close to that, would I still be able to make it work on my V6 2000 Chevrolet Camaro w/ Manual Transmission?

Dawizman, given your experience with installing remote starter systems, which would you recommend for a fellow F-Body owner?
                Last edited by EvilSmirk; 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSmirk
                  Dawizman, given your experience with installing remote starter systems, which would you recommend for a fellow F-Body owner?
                  That is a difficult question to answer. It comes down to three factors, which I ask every person I install a system for;

1) Do you want a security system?
                  2) Do you want a one-way or a two-way system?
                  3) How much are you willing to spend?

Answer those and I can reccomend you a system.

Today I just pulled the Autostart AS-6650TW-FM (Now sold as AS-6850TW-FM) out of my bird and put it into my jeep. It is a very nice unit for the price. It is a two-way remote start / security system with an advertised range of 3500ft (I tested it at around 1000ft). It worked pretty nice, and I only swapped it over so that the Jeep could have a remote start this winter. I paid $230 for it on ebay last fall.

I am about to install my first Clifford system into my bird, and I hope I like it. The MATRIX 70.5X This is the best sytem out there right now according to all the reviews I have read, and I'd sure hope so for the price I paid for it ($375). I'll let ya know how I like it in a few days.

Comment

Ever heard of the ULTRASTART U1271M-XR system? They've got a few of them on eBay for good prices. I'm not looking for a top of the line system by any means. Just one that is relatively inexpensive, offers remote start with safety features that don't start it in gear and whatnot, and can be installed by myself within a couple of hours. Sorry I can't give you any more information.

Comment

I've installed many of those. Very reliable cheap and reliable units. Just keep in mind you will either need a bypass kit, or you will need to bypass the VATS system using resistors.

Comment

Good point. The wiring diagrams and installation notes make me nervous though. Should I be able to figure this out without too much trouble?

Comment

I'd say on a scale of 1-10 the 4th gens would be about a 6. Its not too hard, should take you a couple hours to get it in as long as your not scared around a pair of crimpers and a soldering iron.

Comment

Not uncomfortable with either of those. Just more concerned with where to start, how to get to the necessary wires, etc. Don't suppose you know of a write-up or anything? I've got a wiring checklist of sorts for the system, but I don't know the best or easiest way to get to what I need to get to if that makes any sense.

Comment

Well first of all, I found that in our cars it was a whole lot easier to take the drivers seat out. Also, remove the 4 screws holding the lower dash cover on. Lastly, disconnect the battery before you start splicing.

Start with the smaller wiring harnesses under the dash, and then run the wires under the hood. Splice in the big wiring harness last. Then, test it before you tie any wires up.

I'd love the write a quide up, but every remote unit is different, and every car is slightly different too.

Let me know if you need and further help.

Comment

Thank you for all of your help so far. If I understand you right, I should be able to do all of my main splicing through the harness(es) under the dash and then route through the firewall to the components under the hood. Is that correct?

Sounds like you are looking for a place to start. How about with a V6 2000 Chevrolet Camaro with a manual transmission and the UltraStart U1271M-XR remote starter with the UltraStart TR-1 Bypass kit? Just as a suggestion... ;-)
                                Last edited by EvilSmirk; 09-21-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X