Remote Start on Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Start on Manual

Is it illegal where you live? I found out today it's apparently illegal in Mississippi to have a remote start on a manual car.

My friend came to my house today asking if I could put his on(he had just came from the audio/electronics place) because the place said it was illegal for them to install it. I called them back(because I had no time to worry with his problems today) to see if they could do me a favor since I knew the owner and head installers and they said basically they could run all the wires, but he would have to put in the fuses afterwards so he took installation of it back onto his own hands.

Anyone ever heard anything like this?

Re: Remote Start on Manual

No, I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe because of the high theft rate of vehicles in that current state, or possibly something political.
    I DO know that if you install an auto start on an M5, you have to make absolutely sure your car is never left in gear! Or you'll end up with some sort of accident without a driver :)
    sigpic

Comment

Funny you bring this up. One of my employees just came in here yesterday telling me how he can't get a remote starter installed on his manual car because it is illegal in NY.

I don't think it has anything to do with the issue of politics or a high theft rate. I think its because its pretty much dangerous. He found one shop that said they would do it but they really have to screw with it on a new 5 spd car to bypass all the safety crap and security crap.

Im pretty sure its illegal to install a remote starter without the hood safety switch also.
      <a href=\"http://dpo.rpaisley.com/displayfile.do?file_id=11856&size=ORIGINAL\" target=\"_blank\">05 GTO</a><br /><a href=\"http://dpo.rpaisley.com/displayfile.do?file_id=2825&size=ORIGINAL\" target=\"_blank\">97 W68</a><br /><a href=\"http://dpo.rpai

Comment

Its illegal in VA. So is breathing...

Comment

bypass a bunch of crap?? I have a manual and my clutch safety switch died. One little switch goes kapoot and I can start my car without depressing the clutch. I don't have a remote start though, because I don't want to have my car drive into another one because I wasn't thinking and forgot to take it out of gear or use the parking brake
          -Brad
          98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
          2000 V-Star Custom 1100
          If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
          :rock:

Comment

yeah i think the main issue is being able to start it while it is in gear and having it lurch forward on you
            fortunately in my winter beater I have always had the habit of putting it in neutral and putting the parking brake on
            millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

The reason i think remote start on manual is illegal because of safety concerns ............ lets say you have a s10 pickup truck ............ it's manual w/remote start .............lets say you kept it on 1st gear by mistake and push the start button while eating breakfast in the dining table and there was a little girl standing in front of the truck waiting for a school bus or it could be a busy road in front of the car or even possibility of hitting another parked car ............. i mean , any of those situation is very dangerous ............i think it's just safety issue ...nothing else ................

:)
              09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
              sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

ive got a 5-spd with a remote start... and i made the mistake of leaving it in gear and starting it

I was trying to open the hatch with the keys in my pocket and accidently started it... ive never ran so fast haha

I think its illegal in most states, its just not something anyones heard of,. more illegal for the installer to do then for you to own on the car.

you have to bypass the clutch safety switch, so u no longer need the clutch to start the vehicle
                *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

id do it but i cant race at the track with that...they test u on startin the car without the clutch

87 Firebird RIP
                  96 Camaro RS RIP
                  94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
                  02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96
                    they test u on startin the car without the clutch

Really?. wow..........
                    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

wow that they actually do in depth safety checks
                      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                        wow that they actually do in depth safety checks
                        They don't want someones blood on their hands. What if they overlooked something or didn't care to look and an accident was caused by that?

Comment

Hi,

I am also planing to put a remote start in my firebird with manual trans. It is very easy to make a safety featrue that checks if gear is neutral. I found this info on the link:
                          http://www.samitoelectronics.com/gea...sensor_ENG.JPG

hope this helps.

Comment

If you put a remote starter on a manual transmission and have to bypass the clutch switch, does that also affect your cruise control?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSmirk
                              If you put a remote starter on a manual transmission and have to bypass the clutch switch, does that also affect your cruise control?
                              No. You get a remote start that was designed to be used on a manual. It will bypass the clutch switch without affecting your cruise.
                              Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X