My Mom's car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mom's car

My Mom's car has been eating coolant lately. I keep filling up the overflow reservoir to the full line and going for a short drive then going home to check it and it less than half full! I don't see any coolant on the ground, and can't seem to find a leak. Do you think it is a small hole in a hose or something? BTW her car is a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis w/ 165,000 mile on it. I just replaced the heater hose, and had her cooling fan motor replaced and it has been fine until now. I have to keep filling it with coolant before she goes to work, and when she gets home it is completely empty. She told me to post this topic before we go to a garage to get it checked. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    2002 Z28 A4
    SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

12.76 @ 108.42 w/ 1.90 60’

you should have put this in the "other rides"

but anyways it could have a cracked head. i had a grand am(yes its not the same but sounds like the problem i had.) that ate up coolant do to this. i was putting about 2 gallons of coolant a day in it. check around the heads for any discoloration.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber:
      you should have put this in the "other rides"
      Oops I'm sorry, and about the cracked head wouldn't the car have over heated before I found out it was eating coolant.
      2002 Z28 A4
      SLP Lid | TSP Rumbler | P&P Throttle Body | No Cats | 3.42s | M/T Drag Radials | No Front Sway Bar

Comment

it should. im just throwing ideas out there for you [img]tongue.gif[/img]

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

Maybe it is because..... I don't know, I'm stumped.
          2002 Z28 A4

Comment

Is there a smell coming from it? If so where do you smell it?

If you smell it from the inside and its a sweet smell it might be a leak in the heater core.
            \'96 A4 Camaro 3800<br />Nothing but... <br />Flowmaster 40 series

Comment

Nope, no smell.
              2002 Z28 A4

Comment

I filled the reservoir to full and just took it for a 20 min drive, and the coolant level barely went down. Maybe it just needed coolant?
                2002 Z28 A4

Comment

the upper intake, is it plastic or metal. If it's plastic, check behind the alternator for cracks. The 4.6L they had in those have the tendency to crack. If so, the kit for the upper intake has a suggested retail of like $700. It could be a headgasket and it could be burning it, any smoke?
                  1995 Camaro 3.4L Black with T tops, 5 speed manual<br /><br />Mods:<br />Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, MSD Ignition coils, 3.73 gears, Torsen LSD,Mac diff cover, Umi LCAs<br />K&N Cold Air Intake, Window Tint (20% rear, 35%front), aluminum driveshaft, fastchip tuning

Comment

Its probably burning it..time for a new car,tell yer mom

Comment

Sounds like a blown headgasket. Is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe? Blue smoke means it's oil, white smoke means it's burning coolant.
                      <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                        Sounds like a blown headgasket. Is there any smoke coming from the tailpipe? Blue smoke means it's oil, white smoke means it's burning coolant.
                        what about if theres like black smoke?
                        Red 1998 Camaro 3.8<br />K&N and Home Depot<br />2 12\" JL W3v2 Subwoofers<br />-more audio stuff to come-

Comment

It's not a blown head gasket, because the oil looks fine, and there is no smoke out the back. The car runs great and idles smooth, so I just think it needed coolant because it is burning it in this hot weather. Maybe I'm wrong? I’ll check tomorrow when she gets home from work to see if it went down at all. BTW thanks everyone for posting!
                          2002 Z28 A4

Comment

Originally posted by maxcamaro:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                            what about if theres like black smoke? </font>[/QUOTE]it's burning rich...too much fuel
                            1995 Camaro 3.4L Black with T tops, 5 speed manual<br /><br />Mods:<br />Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, MSD Ignition coils, 3.73 gears, Torsen LSD,Mac diff cover, Umi LCAs<br />K&N Cold Air Intake, Window Tint (20% rear, 35%front), aluminum driveshaft, fastchip tuning

Comment

Originally posted by camaro_speedemon:
                              I agree. My friend drove around for months like this. The coolant was seeping into one of the cylinders.
                              ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X