• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Calling all high mileage cars!!!

Gonna roll 289,000 this weekend.

Comment

164000 still geared and not tuned. Had 155000 in 2007. Guess I have not been driving that much.

Repairs I have done on the car:

-plugs
      -wires
      -serpentine belt
      -alternator
      -battery
      -bolt that holds the right side of the panhard rod (I have a UMI one and got a hardened bolt from home depot lol) <- thought this was weird
      -coil packs (2x)
      -driver window motor (both window motors were original until this summer- passenger still works knock on wood)
      -brakes

other than oil changes, cleaning my air filters and replacing the fuel filter twice...this car has never given me any trouble

Comment

Originally posted by 02ragtop View Post
        I have 105,000 on my 02 convertible. I've been through 5 sets of tires, d/s window motor, a whole lot of light bulbs, 1 windshield (thanks to my husband - duh) 1 rear rebuild, 4 sets of brake pads, 4 rotors, 2 sets of calipers (thanks for finally fixing that problem, GM) 1 belt tensioner, 4 speakers...all small stuff, thank goodness.

Wow, in 6 months I have put 20K on the car.....Love driving it!
        sigpic

2002 Camaro Convertible - Stock!

Comment

330K and it survived this harsh Connecticut winter so far :tup:

Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

5000 miles in 2 months. At 294,000 now.

Comment

I got 29.33 mpg on the last tank. 68 mph, windows up and the a/c off. All highway miles. :) Somebody asked me how I got such good mileage. I told them with 295,000 miles it's wore out and has no friction, haha. I wonder what it would get if i drove slower.

Comment

29mpg with almost 300k. That is awesome.

My car is a 96 M5 camaro with just about manual everything. Pretty basic options except it had monsoon which is dead except for the front door speakers (no bass at all) I have no previous maintenance records, my memory of the carfax showed registration in the carolinas previous to my owning it. I believe i got it at 111k right around my join date.

Well I'm just over 130k. Not a ton of miles for a 96 but for a car that has lived outside the past 7 years its not doing horrible. Getting kind of rusty on the underside where I question the feasibilty of replacements which from reading on here I'm pretty sure I could tackle if it weren't likely I would have to resort to lots of fasterner cutting, and drilling out and retapping holes and I planned on keeping the car a bit longer. I've still been able to do a decent amount of simple repairs but some stuff is getting complicated as a lot of parts are no longer as easily removed as they should be to get to other stuff.

Stuff I replaced on the car since I have owned it

Alternator
                P/S Pump and then later hoses.
                Plugs
                Wires
                2 Coil packs
                Fuel Filter
                Muffler (patched then replaced and clamped with 'thrush' brand)
                Egr
                Evap vac line to TB (got eaten by alt belt - replaced with generic vac line)
                Tires
                Brakes
                Lots of oil, oil filters and intake filters. I think I removed some of the air ducting after the filter box.

Mechanic fixed:
                Cat (dynomax)
                Dual outlet Muffler installed (dynomax)
                Wipers (they do it without asking during inspection. Didn't even wipe properly. Had to dremel the crap out of them to make them work)
                OBD port (mice had chewed through wiring)
                Horn Switch Bypass (horn switch in wheel is shorted out - i now have a old fashioned doorbell type button)
                License plate light. (didn't even notice - done without asking during inspection)
                1 spark plug to clear a misfire code. (it came back and I later did coils)

Current issues:

Shocks pretty much gone
                Shudder when engaging clutch at low speed (could be a whole list of things - gonna start with trans mount)
                Doors don't seal the greatest (puddles sometimes after rain)
                Could likely use all new suspension bushing and ends.
                Lots of rusted suspension parts because of living outside in the northeast.
                Clearcoat starting to peel because of said climate.
                A/C hasn't worked since the day I got it.
                Oil Pan leaking slowly (y pipe is pretty rusted on so unless i get headers its gonna stay that way as I'd have to likely cut everything off and redo that part of the exhaust - good excuse to buy headers if it starts leaking bad)

Engine runs strong. Still waiting on fuel economy after cat replacement but I'm guessing 25ish. If i was going to be keeping the car for more than another year or so I'd start completely replacing the suspension with nice tubular stuff but I will be moving overseas and I don't want to store it while I am gone. I imagine complications if I have suspension work done that will end up with either lots of time out of service or expensive repair bills so I'm warry of going there. This was the first car that was ever mine (kind of took over the family minivan before) and I am in love with it. I will be sad to leave it behind. If i were in the market for a car today - I'd bee looking for a v6 f-body with lsd and as clean a belly as I could find.

Yes I know this thread is really old but I was bored.
                Last edited by MegaHertz; 06-21-2011, 11:05 PM. Reason: Forgot brakes, P/S pump and added a little more background info.
                96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz View Post

Yes I know this thread is really old but I was bored.
                  To restart a thread and share your V6 experience is actually good.

I'm about to hit 338,000 sometime this weekend or early next week, a pic will be taken to showcase that milestone but my Camaro does not want to die just yet!

I still retain the original drivetrain except I am looking forward to installing an LS7 clutch since there are positive results from that swap I saw somewhere in these technical forums.

Last year I performed a fuel pump R&R, done the entire cooling and ignition. 2 sets of tires, 3000 mile oil change done religiously will bring you a long lasting vehicle to enjoy. Let's not forget about Seafoam too.

I get 400+ miles to the tank (400 / 15.5 = 25.8064516)so with a light foot, it will be fairly easy to attain 30 MPG or more. Working on that soon.

Also replaced the O2 sensor but still have the original cats, I always pass the emissions test here in CT.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this 3.8L motor. :tup:
                  Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

^as long as you keep them cool, chevy engines should last forever. My dad has a 94 c1500, has 296,000 on the original engine and transmission. Never had to replace anything that required a gasket. Thing is a champ.

EDIT- 2,800th post btw
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Mines taking so much abuse I can't believe its still running , but I did do a forged bottom end in 03'.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

My Firebird is now at 202,000 and has reached a plateau. I've started driving the Malibu to work. Now the Firebird sits under its car cover Monday to Friday.
                        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

202,000 miles is not too bad, considering my Firebird was totalled six years ago...

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=31823
                          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

200,755 here

Comment

Comment

132K all stock original 1997 W68 Convertible

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X