Camaro is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro is gone...

After 5 long years and an absolute TON of time and money put into it, she's gone. Sadly. I looked away from the road at the wrong time, at an accident on the side of the road, ironically, then added another one for people to look at. To make matters worse, I was following a co-worker. In his '12 Challenger SRT8. With 2200 miles. He probably should have shot me. But, he didn't. Everyone but me is completely 100% after the accident, his car is fixed, and being picked up from the shop today, after a week of repairs, time on a frame rack, and 3 new body panels. My car, didn't have enough value to fix the damages, and was totalled out by insurance. Full coverage on it, thankfully, and I got a more than fair check from them. Car still ran and drove, just not for long. It most likely had major frame damage, and didn't feel right even just idling by my house. Sad day for sure... Best time that car ever ran was a 12.6@113, and that was on 16psi, 35r on a stock T5 stock 10 bolt. It ran on 16psi for less than 24 hours, and even in that time I think the trans wanted to go. Did a few highway pulls and I could feel heat coming through the shifter console. Borrowed time for sure.

As for a replacement, I am staying with the 3800. But not in a F-booty. Flying to Michigan next Thursday the 24th to pick up a 99 GTP. New car is equally as built, but supercharged instead for now. And with a built transmission too :D hopefully it will be a more reliable daily driver, and can't be any worse in the snow...

I'll stick around here, and share what knowledge I've got. Definitely came a long ways from a 16 year old that liked cars but knew nothing aside from how to annoy people, to a now 21 year old certified auto tech at a shop, with more knowledge than I ever thought I'd have.

Re: Camaro is gone...

Sorry to hear, at least everyone was alright. Are you going to part out your Camaro or did your insurance take it?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Insurance took it. For what they gave me, there's no way I would have been smart to part it out.

Comment

That sucks man. I've got some GP parts, including a 57k mile 4L60E, if you're interested and driving back through the lower penninsula. I'm not even a mile off I-94. Glad to hear you and your co-worker are both alright. It could have easily been more than just a car gone. Accident scenes are always a dangerous place to be, I try to keep my eyes on my mirror watching for someone not paying attention.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          Insurance took it. For what they gave me, there's no way I would have been smart to part it out.
          That sucks and you just spent all that time and money on it. I was just interested in the St5 cam since it looks lile im selling my other cam. Good luck with the GTP I've always liked them and they can be made to go pretty fast too.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Glad to know you're ok, but sad to know that's another fbody off the road. I followed your build too. I know you worked hard on that. I have a feeling you'll get another one.

Comment

but but but...the GP is wrong wheel drive!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                That sucks man. I've got some GP parts, including a 57k mile 4L60E, if you're interested and driving back through the lower penninsula. I'm not even a mile off I-94. Glad to hear you and your co-worker are both alright. It could have easily been more than just a car gone. Accident scenes are always a dangerous place to be, I try to keep my eyes on my mirror watching for someone not paying attention.
                Pm me your number, and what all your have...
                Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                That sucks and you just spent all that time and money on it. I was just interested in the St5 cam since it looks lile im selling my other cam. Good luck with the GTP I've always liked them and they can be made to go pretty fast too.
                It was a very good cam, but only had power on the top end. Nothing until 3500+. And the one I'm buying, it uh, runs 12.4's in Michigan. I expect low LOOWWW 13'a here.
                Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                Glad to know you're ok, but sad to know that's another fbody off the road. I followed your build too. I know you worked hard on that. I have a feeling you'll get another one.
                Damn right I will. The GP will have daily duty, and I'll have my eyes open for the right F-body :) Never will get that blood out of my veins.. but I'm glad someone did! The next one will take the good of this one, and the better knowledge I have now, and damn well better make 500+.
                Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                but but but...the GP is wrong wheel drive!
                But it also has capability to tackle snow storms. I'm sure you know that Camaros DONT. Not comfortably at least.

Comment

pfft, I drove mine for a number of winters before I bought a beater...snow tires on that thing and I was cruising while I saw a bunch of fwd cars without snow tires in ditches...I still remember going up to the cottage in whiteout conditions and seeing more cars than I can count in banks, walls, ditches, facing the wrong way etc...got there without a hiccup except for almost ****ting myself because I couldn't see for awhile!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I did it for the last 5 winters, granted I never got snow tires, but decided that I'd be better off with something I know does well. We had a 01 GTP when I was growing up, so might as well. And I know the engines pretty well...

But it's not like I'm out of the performance side... the GP is equally as built as the Camaro was. PLUS a built transmission. See pictures attached :D just grabbed those from the sale ad the guy put up...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Docta; 07-17-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Looks good and very well taken care of.

Comment

Looks good, and it's a coupe! I always did like those Grand Prix's... Way before the F-Body bug bit me, back when I was rolling around in a '97 Grand Am GT, a Grand Prix like that is what I wanted to move up into. Hell, I even brought up the idea when my girlfriend was looking for a new car before we bought her Fusion...lol
                        aka FreedStyle
                        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                          pfft, I drove mine for a number of winters before I bought a beater...snow tires on that thing and I was cruising while I saw a bunch of fwd cars without snow tires in ditches...I still remember going up to the cottage in whiteout conditions and seeing more cars than I can count in banks, walls, ditches, facing the wrong way etc...got there without a hiccup except for almost ****ting myself because I couldn't see for awhile!
                          My V6 Bird was almost a mountain goat in the snow with 225/60/16 snow tires.

My 5th Gen is a mountain goat on 245/40/20's snows.

Sorry to hear about your car OP.

Comment

Your new ride looks great.

Comment

I am so excited for the GP. The Camaro will always be my first car, and have the memories that can never be replaced. Except for the ones on video, those are awesome too. But the gp is the new daily... New project will be coming soon >:}

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X