Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Really, are all cops like this?

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
    Huh? Are you referring to me? Because I have no idea who the "a-hole" that you refer to is.
    No. I was referring to, Jughead.
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
      Since it's such a minimal ticket, you're better off showing up at court and admitting guilt. I had a friend that just went through this. He was popped for going 81 in a 70 with the flow of traffic. Mandatory appearance and he got off with a $150 ticket, a morning in defensive driving course, and a $35 fee for the course. The points won't show up on this record. That's nothing for a level two speeding ticket (1-10, 11-19, 20+ over) If he had tried to fight it, it would've been a minimum of $350 for the court fee and the cost of the ticket and defensive driving course.
      Wow, that's rough. In most places in VA it's (I'm pretty sure) $5 per mile over the limit + court costs (usually around $60). 11 miles over would be around $115, whether you tried to fight it or not. Like I said, we pay court costs whether you go to court or prepay; that's why I would always fight it.

I do disagree on pleading guilty though - usually the only way you'll get to say anything in your defense, even something like "I have a perfect driving record" or "I was going the same speed as the traffic around me" is if you plead not-guilty. I doubt most judges are any more likely to "throw the book at you" if you plead not-guilty.

I also disagree with getting an attorney for small infractions; at the point where I have to pay an attorney to get me out of a $100 ticket is where I will say it's not worth it. In all of the instances above where I had the tickets reduced/dismissed I went on my own.

Oh, and to the original question; no, not all cops are like that. I've dealt with enough of them to say that there are those who are very cool, even if they do end up writing you a ticket (that is part of their job after all), some that are simply professional and matter-of-fact about it, and some who are ****s. Sounds like you ran into the later. The trick in dealing with them is learning to recognize whether or not he may be simpathetic (first type mentioned above) or not (the last type). Always be courteous and cooperative, but learn that with the ****s you should just shut up and let them do the talking, while with the others sometimes it helps to talk to them; something like "I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize I was going that fast". Whatever you do, don't ever admit you knew you were speeding, that WILL come up in court.
      Last edited by EarlR; 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM.

Comment

WOW, this has turned out quite interesting.

Second, I didn't, "Steal" ideas from anyone, and I highly do not like being called a thief, I aquire things, theres only one thief :)

Ok. First I dont try to pull a Traveling Card BS in Courts. These people are trying to take your money, you may want to lay down and take it, but I don't, and I do my fighting within the Letter of the Law. And 1997Canadian, common law is law there in Canada also!

Remember, Civil Law is only Law when you CONSENT to it, period! I am a member of a revolutionary group. We forced the King to sign the Magna Charta in 1215 at the point of a sword in a field near Runnymede. Later we wrote the Declaration of Independence which is still recognized authority in some jurisdictions today. Just saying.

Comment

Oh yeah, by signing the ticket you consent to those laws. You don't have a choice at the time either...

Comment

I know in AZ if it is a misdemeanor like a traffic ticket for 10 miles over you can refuse to sign(police will write refused in the section), signing is just saying you will appear in court , not admitting guilt. For a ticket that is a felony you will be arrested for not signing a ticket since your signing it to appear in court, so your a risk of skipping out of it. But in all means there are few who get a felony ticket and are not arrested and taken to be booked.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 05-06-2011, 04:38 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You always have a choice. It's the consequences that suck.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

When I was 18 I was ticketed for speeding. I dressed up nice, went to court with my parents, plead guilty, told them I was a poor college student going to blahblah university and needed every dime I can get to help with tuition, and said I was very sorry and I'll never do it again. I think I spoke for less than a minute. Judge didn't appear compassionate but he reduced my two tickets (reckless driving + exceeding posted speed limit, totaling $1030) down to $200 each. I remember clearly the court cost was $36 (this was in 2007 maryland), so I saved about $600 while still pleading guilty.

My friends all told me to bet on the cop not showing up. Well that didn't happen but I sure am glad I went to court anyway. On a lesser ticket for only about $100, it's your call how you want to handle it. It's a rare opportunity to take a gamble and see if you can get it thrown out altogether without fear of taking a really bit hit to your wallet.
                Last edited by Heywood; 05-06-2011, 02:22 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

See if it was THAT big of a ticket, I'd fight it. But for 113$ it would be more of a hassle to drive to the court (which is 75 miles away) and then all blah blah blah... I'm gunna pay it and forget it.

Comment

Jughead,

Do you pay income taxes or are those "laws" invalid also?
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                      See if it was THAT big of a ticket, I'd fight it. But for 113$ it would be more of a hassle to drive to the court (which is 75 miles away) and then all blah blah blah... I'm gunna pay it and forget it.
                      One last comment, then I'll give it a rest: if you do decide to just pay it and forget about it, I do hope you plan to drive like a grandma (i.e. 5 mph or less over the limit) for the next 3 years (at least). That's how long most insurance companies look back on your driving record when they decide how much they're going to zap you for driving infractions. And if you do get another ticket in the next 3 years, I can promise you 2 things: 1) the judge (assuming you decide to fight that one) will be less likely to give you a break ("oh, I see you make a habit of this..."), and 2) the insurance company will raise your rates once they find out about it. A driver under 21 with 2 violations...well that's all the excuse they'll need to stick it to you bing time.

Good luck witchever way you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68 View Post
                        Jughead,

Do you pay income taxes or are those "laws" invalid also?
                        Seriously? Hardly anyone pays income taxes anymore :)
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          4 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X