Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any suggestions for a new car?

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
    Man... that's way too expensive. You should have just cut through the hatch area and made a trap door. A Walbro 255 is less than $200, if you already have tools at home for cutting the hatch you could have saved like $700. That's what I did and now I can change my fuel pump out in under 30 minutes if I ever have to. If you're having money issues you should start doing work on the car yourself. I don't really have money issues, but I still do my own work unless it's too complex (rebuilding a diff for instance.) Saving money on fuel will be small potatoes compared with a loan or expense of buying a new vehicle.

At 70K your car has a lot of life left in it. Just get it into a good state and stay off the throttle if you want good mileage. I tried it (once) and I got excellent MPG by staying under 3K rpm at all times for the whole tank, I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something around double the MPG I normally get.
    This. I did the same thing to my 96 bird.

I'd still have it for a DD if I coulda purchased the car I got now... No car payments is a huge plus. You'll have $$ for gas and repairs for what you'd be paying for that new "economy car"...

Heck I'm DD a car that gets around 12 mpg! Only reason I'm able to is no car payments and cheap insurance. :)
    -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

stick with the firebird, the car payments will stick you. I had this dilemma as well and ended up parking both my Camaros and purchasing an 08 Kia Optima. The most boring car I have ever driven but it takes me everywhere I need to go and I have full warranty until 150k miles (i'm at 43k right now) so I'm set for a while. I drive the Camaros on the weekends and it makes me appreciate it more.

Look into hypermiling, google it, I've been doing it in my Kia and went from 21 MPG to 31 MPG just by utilizing a few techniques I've read about.

Good luck.
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
      2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
        /\ viper has a vagina so the mini could work for him :)
        Jeez what was that for?

Man... that's way too expensive. You should have just cut through the hatch area and made a trap door. A Walbro 255 is less than $200, if you already have tools at home for cutting the hatch you could have saved like $700. That's what I did and now I can change my fuel pump out in under 30 minutes if I ever have to. If you're having money issues you should start doing work on the car yourself. I don't really have money issues, but I still do my own work unless it's too complex (rebuilding a diff for instance.) Saving money on fuel will be small potatoes compared with a loan or expense of buying a new vehicle.

At 70K your car has a lot of life left in it. Just get it into a good state and stay off the throttle if you want good mileage. I tried it (once) and I got excellent MPG by staying under 3K rpm at all times for the whole tank, I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something around double the MPG I normally get.
        I had no idea that it was possible to do that cut to make the fuel pump change easier (I found out about it after I had the shop do it). I know the $900 really hurt me. I'll stick with the bird for the summer and see how it turns out and possibly look for a deal on a new car in the mean time. I'll take all your suggestions into consideration.
        2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

i know personally mine wasnt all about the mpg change as i was gettin real low 20's in the bird and i get like 25 in my bu (all i do is city driving...i know thats bad but i only drive it to work otherwise we drive the wifes car) i just bought the malibu because i needed something that would do well in the snow. the bird gets me no where in the snow and i cannot afford to miss work and or get fired because i cant make it to work.
          sigpic

Comment

Chevy Malibu. The Malibu has great gas milage, great reliablility and a nice interior and ride. Ford Fusions are up there too.

Accords are overpriced pieces of fecalmatter with over inflated ratings coming from douches who have misplaced ideas that the car is a status symbol. Like an Accord is really going to get her panties wet.

I won't knock the Nissan, it's about on par with a Malibu, but personally, if your going import i'd look at a Korean like Hundai.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
              Chevy Malibu. The Malibu has great gas milage, great reliablility and a nice interior and ride. Ford Fusions are up there too.

Accords are overpriced pieces of fecalmatter with over inflated ratings coming from douches who have misplaced ideas that the car is a status symbol. Like an Accord is really going to get her panties wet.

I won't knock the Nissan, it's about on par with a Malibu, but personally, if your going import i'd look at a Korean like Hundai.
              uhm... what?
              Dave:
              00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by dmw319 View Post
                uhm... what?
                You're a douche who has misplaced the idea that a car is a status symbol and drives a piece of fecal matter.

:P
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I've been very happy with my Mallibu 3.6 V6. Gas mileage is not as good as the Ecotec 4, but it runs really well.
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

What are your opinions on Mazda?
                    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

The 6's are decent, not too good on gas though. 3's are fun to drive, pretty good on gas.

From experience, look into some Gm products. The Regal turbo is amazing, a Cruze is not too bad. The brand new Malibu's seemed cheap to me, I liked the Impala's better.. or be a badass and go get a ZR1.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRider View Post
                        What are your opinions on Mazda?
                        The Mazda 3's look really, really goofy from the front. They have a giant smiley face look.

Plus, I heard Mazdas cause cancer.
                        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68 View Post
                          The Mazda 3's look really, really goofy from the front. They have a giant smiley face look.

Plus, I heard Mazdas cause cancer.
                          Isn't that just anything that has touched Japanese soil? You'll get radiation poisoning and cancer. Both. Twice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
                            You're a douche who has misplaced the idea that a car is a status symbol and drives a piece of fecal matter.

:P
                            oh yea. duh. of course!
                            Dave:
                            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                              Hello everyone!
                              by Andy H
                              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                              4 weeks ago
                            • 3.4 slow to go
                              hey there strangers!
                              by 3.4 slow to go
                              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X