Any suggestions for a new car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for a new car?

I knew this day would come but I am thinking about selling my bird and buying a more reliable/gas efficient car. I am about to graduate college and got a job with an average to long commute. I need a car I know is gonna get me from point A to B without worrying about it breaking down. The fuel pump went last week and I had to shell out $900 to have it fixed and can't be throwing all this money out for repairs. I have treated this car with extreme care and drove like a grandma 90% of the time but it seems like a problem after problem.

It saddens me but I think it's time for something new(ish) and efficient. I was looking at used accords and altimas. Any other suggestions? What are your daily drivers?

P.S. I have a clean black 2001 Firebird with 70k on it if anyone is interested in purchasing. (I have fixed most major problems already (driver's side window motor, drivers side headlight motor, installed new power antenna, new valve lifters were installed 2 years ago, fuel pump last week). I have been using Mobil 1 for the last 3 oil changes, always changed every 3 months/3000 miles. Installed new rear shocks a few weeks ago. Ram air hood, whisper lid, K and N filter, ground effects, 16 chromes. Bought the car 4 years ago with 45k on it.
    Last edited by ViperRider; 05-01-2011, 11:28 PM.
    2001 Firebird 3.8L

Re: Any suggestions for a new car?

To be honest, you'd be better off keeping the Firebird and fixing it up than buying a new/newer car and be saddled with car payments until you are secure in your job and have enough money in your bank account to cover all of your living expenses (rent, food, utilities, etc.) for 8 months or more in case of a job loss/layoff.

$900 for a fuel pump is just about 2 months' worth of car payments, so unless you wind up spending about $500 a month or more on maintenance or repairs, it's more economical to keep your car and not have to deal with a car payment, increased insurance cost, and increased registration tag fees. Not having a car payment will buy you lots of gas.

That said, if you are TIRED of your Firebird and want something fuel efficient and reliable, be ready for a drop in performance and fun. Toyotas and Hondas are reliable and efficient, but they are appliances without personality. They get your heart racing like a new dishwasher or refrigerator.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe for my daily driver (bought new in 2007). It is reliable and regularly gets 29-30 MPG in my 250-mile weekly commute. It has a 2.4L 4-cylinder engine. 166 hp, and 160 lb ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. So while it's not slow, it's not fast either.

If you get an Accord, the 4-cylinder 2006-2007 model years are the most reliable and can be had for about $12,000 - $16,000. There are known problems with the transmission on V6 models of years 2003-2007. 2008+ Accords seems to have problems with early brake failure, and VCM problems on the 6 cylinder models. (Check out problems listed on the forums section of edmunds dot com.) Also note that the 4 cyl Accord has a timing chain. The V6 has a timing belt.

I don't know much about Toyotas except for all the recent recalls that I've heard of, and problems with sludge in the engine for 1997-2002 models. Avoid those model years like the plague.

Happy car hunting!
    2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Comment

My daily driver is the '96 Camaro with 335,500 miles on it. Just got 377 miles to the tank which I attribute to decent tune ups and thorough car care. I'm sure more mileage can be attained if it weren't for traffic congestion but I'm gonna try to get 400+ miles when summer blend fuel arrives and yes... no car payments is a major plus as mentioned above.

I've heard people buy cars and ruining their credit scores somehow but look into a credit union to get pre-approved before your next vehicle purchase. With a credit union pre-approval, you can go into the dealership with money in hand at a rate you know is attractive. When you say you have the financing, the dealer won't try to convince you their 2.9 percent financing is better. It's almost always better to take the rebate and finance with the credit union. It's a clear advantage for you.

As fuel prices will spike to $5.00 or above come this summer so why not look into a Toyota Prius or join the 40MPG Club with a Hyundai Elantra?

I am impressed by Tesla Motors design but they are just plain expensive even with a $7500 tax credit. http://www.teslamotors.com/

Chevy Volt > http://www.chevrolet.com/volt/

Ford Focus electric > http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/

Good luck on your new career direction and future vehicle decision. Personally, I just feel safer in my Camaro than in a lightweight gas sipper especially in long commutes and higher risks of getting involved in an accident with other cars commuting alongside.
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

if i were you, id do one of two thigns:

keep the firebird cause its a collectible car and buy either a motorbike or motorcycle
        sell the bird and buy either a 4cylinder toyota camry (great economical comfy if you get an XLE, cars probably one of the best cars ive ever owned) or if you want economy and fun, get like a Scion TC or a Celica)
        Robby
        2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
        sigpic

Comment

the new hyundai elantra or sonata are great choices
          im also a fan of the new Kia Rio
          Robby
          2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
          sigpic

Comment

i have an 09 malibu for my beata...she's great. i drive about 90 miles a day (95% highway) and get around 30-32 mpg.

my hubby is using my old 06 cobalt ss sc as his beata. that car i would get about 32-34 mpg.

both cars are great.
            WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Since I really really don't want to sell the bird I was thinking about keeping it and buying a DD and getting the cheap car collector insurance for the bird. Only problem with that is I have no room for 2 cars. I'm going to look in the elantra and some others mentioned.

Originally posted by RPDRed6 View Post
              if i were you, id do one of two thigns:

keep the firebird cause its a collectible car and buy either a motorbike or motorcycle
              sell the bird and buy either a 4cylinder toyota camry (great economical comfy if you get an XLE, cars probably one of the best cars ive ever owned) or if you want economy and fun, get like a Scion TC or a Celica)
              I didn't think about the motorcycle idea...hmm, I like that though. Except it would suck in the winter.
              2001 Firebird 3.8L

Comment

A very basic model Ford Ranger makes an excellent DD if you don't need back seats. They are mechanically simple and nearly indestructible. If you need economy make sure you get the 4 banger, the V6 option drinks gas as though it was a V10.

Comment

my wifes mini gets 35 mpg :)
                  Dave:
                  00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                  97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
                    A very basic model Ford Ranger makes an excellent DD if you don't need back seats. They are mechanically simple and nearly indestructible. If you need economy make sure you get the 4 banger, the V6 option drinks gas as though it was a V10.

Maybe they changed with the newer model 4-cyl's, but the best I ever got with my '00 Mazda B-2500 with an M5 was about 22 mpg's, and that's getting into OD as soon as possible and even shutting off and coasting down hills. The 'bird gets 23+ all day with a heavy foot.
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

/\ viper has a vagina so the mini could work for him :)
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ViperRider View Post
                        The fuel pump went last week and I had to shell out $900 to have it fixed and can't be throwing all this money out for repairs.
                        Man... that's way too expensive. You should have just cut through the hatch area and made a trap door. A Walbro 255 is less than $200, if you already have tools at home for cutting the hatch you could have saved like $700. That's what I did and now I can change my fuel pump out in under 30 minutes if I ever have to. If you're having money issues you should start doing work on the car yourself. I don't really have money issues, but I still do my own work unless it's too complex (rebuilding a diff for instance.) Saving money on fuel will be small potatoes compared with a loan or expense of buying a new vehicle.

At 70K your car has a lot of life left in it. Just get it into a good state and stay off the throttle if you want good mileage. I tried it (once) and I got excellent MPG by staying under 3K rpm at all times for the whole tank, I don't remember the exact figures, but it was something around double the MPG I normally get.
                        sigpic

Comment

Get an accord. a used one like an 04 or something with a warrenty.

Comment

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                            Get an accord. a used one like an 04 or something with a warrenty.
                            hey thats what ive got! minus the warranty..
                            Dave:
                            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I got my Park Avenue coming up on 2 years ago now and it's been my DD since. I'm still totally in love with it, and with just under 150K on the clock, I have under $120 in required repairs in the last 2 years. It's not any more economical than the Camaro, being a full sized luxury car, but I can still get 30+mpg on the highway. I was looking into getting a smaller Buick like a century with the 4 banger to get nice mileage and still have a few extra creature comforts. You won't get me to touch a toyota or honda with a ten foot pole.

Also, did someone seriously suggest a pruis on an F-body forum? :twak:
                              sigpic
                              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X