Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun recoil

Anybody out there shoot shotguns?

I bought a Mossberg 20 gauge shotgun last month and finally had the time to go to a firing range yesterday to try it out.

I managed to shoot 15 #8 birdshots, but after that, I was done (I couldn't even finish up one box of ammo! Sad.). My shoulder aches and I have some small red marks on my shoulder from the recoil.

I did aim and hold the gun properly, but it kicks pretty hard (for prospective, I'm 5'1" and weigh 130). The shotgun is a Mossberg 500C special purpose with an 18.5" barrel. The stock is OEM with a built-in recoil pad.

Any ideas how to reduce the recoil other than to put on a Knoxx stock? Or am I just going to have to toughen up and get used to it?

I wonder if buying a longer barrel or having the barrel ported would help?

And no, I don't want to downgrade to a .410.

Any suggestions?
    2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Re: Shotgun recoil

Replacing the pad will make a world of difference.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Yes, there are few things you can do. Look into recoil pads for the butt of the gun.Most are universal fit but there are lots of different kinds.They vary from rubber to ones that have mechanical aspects. I would say your still holding too loosely by the sounds of it. But you can also try wearing a jacket or sweathshirt for more padding.

Comment

Dish towel folded up held on with electrical tape. That's what I do for my wife.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/sac2165\" target=\"_blank\"> CAMAROS</a>

Comment

Yes, a better pad will help. So will a shooting jacket with a padded shoulder. There may also be lighter loads than what you're shooting - not all #8 loads are the same. As a last resort, you may have to bite the bullet and get an autoloader like the Mossberg 930 or Remington 11-87. The recoil of the autos is considerably less than a pump or over/under.

Comment

down a pint of southern comfort first...then down a few beers and then go out shootin....your shoulder will not notice
            the recoil.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas, although I'm not sure about the one shooting drunk. I don't hold my liquor well. It's hard to shoot and ride the porcelain bus at the same time lol. Yea, I'm a wuss.

I was taught how to shoot a shotgun by my brother's friend who happens to be a police officer. There is no space between the recoil pad and my shoulder. I hold it tight against my shoulder, and I rest my cheek against the stock so I can see the bead and aim right.

I'm trying to keep my gun unmodded until the 10-year warranty ends, so I think a slip-on recoil pad for the stock might work, but this might lengthen the stock so much that I can't reach the forearm with my left hand.

If I can't find something that fits, I'll try a padded shooting vest or maybe just a shoulder shield. Those are alot lower in cost and might work the best for me. I just need to find a sporting goods store that stock them so I can try one on for size.

I suppose if I can't find a vest that fits me, maybe I should try the dish towel and duct tape. Maybe I should try a couple of mouse pads, or a jel-filled keyboard wrist rest, or maybe a couple of car wax applicator pads? Anyone ever tried those with success?

Has anyone tried ported barrels? I heard that those are supposed to reduce the recoil, and switching barrels is pretty easy although it is expensive.

Thanks for the ideas.
              2001 white Firebird (completely stock)<br /><br />2003 Civic LX sedan for my daily commute. 115 hp (Yes, pathetic, but gets me 36 mpg!)

Comment

I have an 18" 12 gauge mossberg 500.I love it. This thing kicks with slugs.
                #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

i have a old 70's model springfeild and co. 12 gauge double barrel. i have a 1 1/4 inch kick pad and i never have any issues. in relation to you, im 5'7 about 130 lbs, and i usually just shoot trap and skeet. for ammo i use the winchester target loads, i think they are a 7 1/2 shot. a good thick kick pad will make all the difference

edit-i can pull both triggers at the same time and not suffer too bad.
                  Last edited by flamingchicken; 03-13-2011, 08:58 PM.
                  Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

thick leather jacket ;)

Comment

Originally posted by unvmyrs View Post
                      I have an 18" 12 gauge mossberg 500.I love it. This thing kicks with slugs.
                      ok now thats a badass shotgun

Comment

lol only in america...
                        Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                        1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                        1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                        2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

BUT, you came to the right guy cause i'm a die hard hunter

I bought a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag and this thing kicks like a horse when shooting 3.5" BB at geese... so i went to Bass Pro and got a Limbsaver recoil pad... really easy to install, take out two screws in old recoil pad on gun and screw on the new one... first pic is the old recoil pad and the second pic you can see the new, thicker Limbsaver recoil pad

Also have a Remington 870 combo and the slug barrel kicks like a mule. Just bought a new shurshot stock for it and included was Remingtons new supercell recoil pad...

Last edited by golfproeric; 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Each person has to find their "spot" for the butt of their weapon. I quit holding the gun into my shoulder and found a better place to rest it in which caused me far less pain. I set the butt of the gun in the crease that separates the upper arm from the upper chest--kind of under the shoulder. Easy to see the crease when you have your arm hanging straight down next to your body. The extra skin in that area also cushions some of the recoil.

When my upper arm/shoulder area becomes sore after blowing off a few rounds, I shoot from the waist. I find it's a good idea to know how to shoot from the waist in the event of a home invasion. If someone comes through your door unexpectantly you don't have time to raise and aim your shotgun. With that said, I can grab the weapon and just shoot it from the hip--quickly.
                            Groovy is as groovy does.

Comment

Originally posted by mycatsadiva View Post
                              Each person has to find their "spot" for the butt of their weapon. I quit holding the gun into my shoulder and found a better place to rest it in which caused me far less pain. I set the butt of the gun in the crease that separates the upper arm from the upper chest--kind of under the shoulder. Easy to see the crease when you have your arm hanging straight down next to your body. The extra skin in that area also cushions some of the recoil.

When my upper arm/shoulder area becomes sore after blowing off a few rounds, I shoot from the waist. I find it's a good idea to know how to shoot from the waist in the event of a home invasion. If someone comes through your door unexpectantly you don't have time to raise and aim your shotgun. With that said, I can grab the weapon and just shoot it from the hip--quickly.
                              i would never hip fire in my house, there's 0 accuracy with that shot (especially since it'll most likely be dark when most goons come out)....def buy a handgun if your goin the home defense route... then you can use a flashlight, laser, etc

i can't see how your accurate shooting so low on your chest... you need to firmly place the gun almost on or just to the right of the collar bone if you even plan on using the sights and plan on being accurate

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X