I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Who's your internet provider?

ATT Uverse owns everything

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

what about hughesnet.com thats the one I was trying to remember , saw the comerical on it just now?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
          ATT Uverse owns everything
          ...if you want to pay out the *** for it.

Still waiting on it to be available in my area. Some friends on the other side of town have had it for a year now and love it. I don't know if I can swallow the $130/month cable and internet bundle though.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

DO NOT GET HUGHESNET! Only get hughesnet if the ABSOLUTE ONLY alternative is dial-up! My parents have had hughesnet satellite internet for the past 8 years (I personally dealt with it all through high school) and to this day I have to mute the television every time I see one of their commercials. They say it's "high speed" but they use that term synonymously with "high bandwidth." There is 1-2 seconds of "lag" when surfing the web and online gaming is impossible. Download speeds are OK but the BEST (read: expensive) package you can get allows you only 12 gigabytes of downloads a month. Upload speeds are often UNBELIEVABLY ****TY.

Your up/download speeds on hughesnet greatly depend on the weather. Not only the weather in your area, but the weather in upstate NY where the hughesnet servers reside. It may be a clear beautiful day in your area but you won't get ANY internet service because it's stormy where the hughesnet servers are halfway across the country. We have to restart our modem and router frequently (often a couple times a day) to get our internet signal working properly. You also have to pay for equipment (the satellite dish and router) and installation. This could cost you an additional $450 over your monthly service fee, which itself is 60-80 dollars a month.

Overall, hughesnet is better than dial-up but ONLY JUST BARELY. My father is forced to do most of his 'net surfing at work and my sister only surfs the web on her iPhone when she's at home. And yes, surfing the web or streaming videos on her iphone is 10x faster than hughesnet.

If this sounds like a rant, it is. Stay away from hughesnet if at all possible.

P.S.
            If you like surfing youtube, forget it with hughesnet.
            From the Hughesnet FAQ:
            Q: Are there activities that are not recommended for use with a Satellite Connection?
            5. Streaming Video. Streaming Video is bandwidth-intensive. If you intend to watch videos you may exceed your download threshold. Check your current plan or consider upgrading to a higher bandwidth plan.
            If you go over your monthly allotted bandwidth you're scaled down to dial-up speeds for a few days.
            Last edited by Heywood; 09-12-2010, 05:42 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
              ...if you want to pay out the *** for it.

Still waiting on it to be available in my area. Some friends on the other side of town have had it for a year now and love it. I don't know if I can swallow the $130/month cable and internet bundle though.
              i pay it with a smile lol. best net and Tv around here.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X