Favorite Car Parts Store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Car Parts Store?

Closest auto parts store is Autozone that I use sometimes because of their free rental with refundable deposit tool program. I used it with good success and they have their Rewards Card program for $20 off after your 5th $21.99 and over retail purchase. I use the free reward for 2 cans of Seafoam which jumped from $5.99 to $9.99 a can here within a year...:rant:

Advance Auto is the only place I'd visit that stocks the Trico wipers specifically designed for my '96 Camaro but I cant find the winter wiper application yet. Someone have a clue? LOL

Napa is good for hard to find parts. So is AC Delco but both stores lighten your wallet after you have found the correct part.

My vote for favorite goes to RockAuto.com. Bargain prices, fast shipping, knowledgable tech service and a vast database for my '88 IROC Z28. It's an awesome site. :tup:
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

we only have oreily's and napa because autozone moved out this summer :(

Comment

Originally posted by EarlR View Post

Seriously, if you're asking for advice from anyone at an Advance Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Car Quest, etc, etc, etc...you're doing it wrong. The only parts guys I would ever ask a technical question to would be the ones at the dealer's parts counter, and even then I'm hesitant. The guys at the speed shops are generally better informed, but they usually only know about the performance stuff.
        I would have to disagree with this. The good Autozone around here has informational boards and plaques around the store to help the customers. They constantly have visual aids on display to show you what happens if you don't use dielectric grease, anti-seize, etc. or maintain your filters, battery terminals, and more. They even used to have a board to help diagnose problems with brakes based on how the pads, clips, and rotors looked or sounded. Not to mention the managers that work there have an extensive history in building hotrods and street cars.

The guys at the dealership are helpful, but only when it comes to ordering parts I tell them I need. Anything more than that and they have to see the car themselves under a scheduled appointment. Although I'm glad to still get a discounted price on parts from them even though the boyfriend hasn't worked there for over a year.

As for speed shops, good luck finding one that actually knows anything about these V6 cars. They're few and far between. I have trouble finding any in this area that deal with anything other than imports.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Seriously, if you're asking for advice from anyone at an Advance Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys, NAPA, Car Quest, etc, etc, etc...you're doing it wrong. The only parts guys I would ever ask a technical question to would be the ones at the dealer's parts counter, and even then I'm hesitant. The guys at the speed shops are generally better informed, but they usually only know about the performance stuff.
          this isnt true at all, sure some places might have one person that doesnt know what they are doing, but in general they know what is going on.

i only had a problem once, when i was looking for oil for my ac compressor and the guy was telling me to get freon, and i had to explain to him that you have to put a PAG oil in the compressor

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro
            this isnt true at all, sure some places might have one person that doesnt know what they are doing, but in general they know what is going on.
            Maybe not where you live, but it's absolutely true where I live. In Fredericksburg we have, within 15 min driving distance, 3 Autozones, 3 Advance Autos, a Pep Boys, a NAPA, a Carquest, and a few small one-off parts stores. I deal with the Autozones, Advance Autos, and Pep Boys fairly frequently, the NAPA and Carquest not as often, and the small stores even less - although I have to say the smaller stores actually have the most knowledgeable people, they just never have the parts in stock. There are maybe 3 people in all of those other places combined that I would trust to give me advice about my car. Obviously YMMV.

Originally posted by pace2006
            I would have to disagree with this. The good Autozone around here has informational boards and plaques around the store to help the customers. They constantly have visual aids on display to show you what happens if you don't use dielectric grease, anti-seize, etc. or maintain your filters, battery terminals, and more. They even used to have a board to help diagnose problems with brakes based on how the pads, clips, and rotors looked or sounded. Not to mention the managers that work there have an extensive history in building hotrods and street cars.
            Again, be thankful. We're not all so fortunate.

Originally posted by pace2006
            The guys at the dealership are helpful, but only when it comes to ordering parts I tell them I need. Anything more than that and they have to see the car themselves under a scheduled appointment. Although I'm glad to still get a discounted price on parts from them even though the boyfriend hasn't worked there for over a year.
            I think this probably varies quite a bit from dealer to dealer. My local Chevy dealer is a pita to deal with, and the one time I called about a problem they were worthless - my Camaro came with wheel locks, but no socket, and I called to see if they had a tool that could remove them. They said sure, for $90 they would take the 4 locks off...I said thanks but no thanks. I then learned the trick about driving an impact socket onto the locks, and got them all off myself in about 15 mins.

My local Nissan dealer on the other hand is great - the parts guys generally know their stuff, and twice now I've gotten help from their service techs that they didn't charge me for. You don't often see that from a dealer.

Comment

Maybe not where you live, but it's absolutely true where I live. In Fredericksburg we have, within 15 min driving distance, 3 Autozones, 3 Advance Autos, a Pep Boys, a NAPA, a Carquest, and a few small one-off parts stores. I deal with the Autozones, Advance Autos, and Pep Boys fairly frequently, the NAPA and Carquest not as often, and the small stores even less - although I have to say the smaller stores actually have the most knowledgeable people, they just never have the parts in stock. There are maybe 3 people in all of those other places combined that I would trust to give me advice about my car. Obviously YMMV.
              if you need advise, post it on the forum, remember, these workers deal with ALL makes/models of cars, so they might specialize in something, or have a tiny bit of info about all cars.

here, we pretty much specialize in 93-02 v6 camaros/firebirds

it seems that a lot of people who work in those stores are teenagers who are young, and are into import cars, and dont even know what a pushrod is.

when there is a parts store with a high turnover rate, you will get less knowledgeable people, they hired an older guy at my local advanced, and he had absolutely no idea what he was doing, i dont think he could tell the difference between a brake and a muffler, but he has worked there for about 2 years now and is somewhat knowledgeable with the minor stuff, but needed help with one of the o2 sensors on a chevy truck, as he didnt know which one my friend needed

and some advise to you, i would NOT trust the people at the parts counter at a dealer.. yes they know a lot about GM cars, but they are only there to make a ton of money off of you, and will do anything to try and get you to buy parts that you might not need

Comment

Yeah, I think O'Reilly is the same as Kragen here in Calif. Last time I went to the mid-states and east coast it's O'Reilly.

I like Autozone personally because I find most of the parts there and plus their counter person will actually go out with you and check out your car or they will install the parts for you like battery, windshield wipers cartridge, and so forth.

But when it comes to cleaning stuff and cosmetic stuff for our cars it's Pep Boys. They have more selection in this department.

Parts at NAPA can be expensive.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

i dont have a favorite ... mostly because all of them around here arent really that good ... most of the time if i need something minor i go to advance becuase its the closest to my house ... if i need something major i call all of them and play the price matching game

Comment

I like autozone, but some of the local parts shops are good too.

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
                    Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

I think it depends on your location. I work at autozone 1 day a week, to keep the discount and I have at least 60 customers that come in on a weekly basis on saturdays when I work to either get their parts, ask wierd questions or to even just bull ****. I personally like the prices at autozone for most things, but I prefer to buy most parts online, as to the quality and the particular parts I buy they do not carry most of the time.

I go for whichever company has the more knowledgable people working. I know we have one guy who hasnt even put wiper blades on before that was hired, but he's coming along ok.

As to the water pump in the vw, i've gotten people around at the local stores also, and on the missing corvette. Not everyone will know about it unless they are probably fans of the vehicles
                      Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

auto zone or O'Rielly's, i will never go to advanced for anything, the people in my town that work there are a bunch of idiots

Comment

the O'reillys in milwaukee suck!
                          their song should be

"F***-F***-F***-O'Reilly"
                          Robby
                          2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
                          sigpic

Comment

Around here, NAPA is the only place that has any idea what's going on and has decent parts, IMO. I think the rest of them are incompetent and sell junk. I guess Advance Auto isn't too bad. But I would never ask any of these guys for advice. I'll search here or use Google if I want to figure something out.
                            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X