Race Results with cousins tibby from a stop - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Race Results with cousins tibby from a stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 00firebird:
    i am confused, is it faster to leave it in drive or shift it yourself
    for the old 700-R4's and 4L60's, shift it yourself.

For the electronically controlled trannies like we have 4l60-e's, let the computer do it. It lags when you shift it, tried it once, never again because I held it till 5700, and it took a while to register that I moved it up...thus it hit the rev limiter. Yeah I ran like a 16.1 that time down the track.

When I race, I just leave it in OD and launch and go. I agree with what batmobile said, its gonna shift at the programmed WOT shiftpoints regardless.
    -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

Good kill. Nice to see that other 3.4s are putting up a fight. Nice car BTW. Sometimes wish mine was white.
      1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L A4 (160hp 200tq)<br />2006 Nissan 350Z 3.5L M6 (300hp 260tq)

Comment

There's no reason to manually shift your automatic. All the good automatic racers on this board leave it in OD where it belongs. There is no difference between "D" and "OD" other than in "D" the tranny will not shift into overdrive. This does not matter in racing. Regardless, with the 4L60E being an electronically shifting transmission, the computer controls what RPM and speed the transmission shifts at during WOT, YOU DON'T.

This is different for trannies like the 700R4, which is not electronically controlled.

Good kill btw!! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Camarorulz:
          There's no reason to manually shift your automatic. All the good automatic racers on this board leave it in OD where it belongs. There is no difference between "D" and "OD" other than in "D" the tranny will not shift into overdrive. This does not matter in racing. Regardless, with the 4L60E being an electronically shifting transmission, the computer controls what RPM and speed the transmission shifts at during WOT, YOU DON'T.

This is different for trannies like the 700R4, which is not electronically controlled.

Good kill btw!! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
          I disagree with people saying it doesn't make any difference if it's in D or OD.

Instead of rewriting what I've read, I'll just do a straight copy and paste:

"...the computer will shift firmer and hold gears a little longer if you're in 'D'. Its part of the adaptive shift program. When the shifter is in D the computer sees that you're asking for more performance. It will power up the shift solenoids more quickly because of this. Driving around in D will not overheat the trans because the torque converter still locks up.

You could wind the car up to 100 mph in D and then shift into OD before you hit the rev limiter. This won't hurt a thing. Driving around in D won't hurt anything so long as you don't cruise at 70 or better for too long like that. The engine tends to run a little hotter and your fuel mileage drops like a rock because of the increased RPMs. It still won't hurt anything, though.

Also, the PCM does learn your driving style and behaves accordingly. If you've ever driven a car where someone barely gets into the throttle, they're complete turds.

The more often you get your foot in the throttle, the better the engine and transmission will respond. You'll get more spark timing, snappier shifts and above all blow the carbon deposits out of the motor."

EDIT: But I do agree you should let the car shift itself instead of you manualy going 1-2-D-OD.

EDIT 2: Oh, and if you're wanting to read the entire thread you can find it here link

[ January 08, 2005, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Robb235 ]
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100 SFI<br />Coldz Intake, Custom MMS Exhaust, FFP Underdrive Pulley, 3800 Alternator Pulley<br /> <a href=\"http://www.mymonte.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.mymonte.com/</a> <br />_ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ <br />Audentes fortuna juvat

Comment

there is a "D" and a "D" in a box. the one that borders "N" is overdrive, correct? overdrive is just something that gives you lower RPMs right? what is better for racing, or do you do one for the launch then switch over?

Comment

This has been argued over and over. Doesn't anyone remember this? It COMPLETELY depends on what trans you have. If its an OBD 2 trans (4L60-E), you don't manually shift it. If its an OBD 1 version (700R4/4L60), you manually shift it. Please, people do a search on this. Has anyone noticed that most people who say NOT to do it have newer cars and most of the people who do it have older versions?

Why don't we have a graelim that is beating a dead horse? [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 days ago
              • ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                2 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X