Hi all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

My name is Peter and I found this place via the Rockauto newsletter.
    I have a 2000 Firebird that is in fairly good condition - apart from some paint issues, which is pretty typical in this part of Texas, and some cracks on the dash and doors. It has 108k miles on it and needs nothing done to it (yet, :) )
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Pontiac.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.0 KB ID:	1571847
    It's a T top, but I don't really know much else about it, apart from it being good fun to drive.
    Last edited by Pax2001; 05-12-2018, 06:36 AM.

Peter great to have you on board! that's a helluva clean looking bird! Cracks in the dash are common on these cars, especially in the sun - do you have plans to modify the bird at all or just enjoy her as she is?

108 miles is nothing - she'll be strong for quite a long time - these 3800's are tough motors...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Welcome to the site.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Cheers for the welcomes. No plans to modify at this stage, the GMC is keeping my busy replacing the suspension and steering parts that have worn over the years. Someone once told me that suspension mod's for the birds were a great starting place, but I think it already handles pretty well - except in the wet, but hey, can't have everything... lol

Comment

It is a good place to start - especially as the stock decarbon shocks tend to wear out with fairly low miles... These cars will always handle worse in the rain due to rwd and some pretty decent power they put down.

Going to a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft for me made quite a noticeable difference in seat of the pants feel performance wise. They are cheap and pretty easy to swap as well.

There are lots of little things you can do for fairly cheap that work to improve the car and make it even more fun than it currently is

Comment

Probably a newbie question, but, How do I find out what options my car was manufactured with? I'm pretty certain is has a limited slip diff, but am curious as to whether this is factory or a previous owner add-on. Seem's like the previous owner took great care of the car.

Comment

The limited slip option will be found as a GU code on the door jam drivers side (you’ll see a white sticker with a bunch of codes on it)

This is a great list of all of the RPO codes that came on our cars and what they mean: http://tech.firebirdv6.com/generalspecs.html

Every code on your white sticker is an option your car came with

Comment

Wow, thank you. Discovered a lot of things about the car. It is an LSD model (Y87) also with the stage II engine (L36), found out a ton more and will post a pic of the plate once I can take a pic and upload one, Cheers :)

Comment

Always happy to help- you’re lucky you have the y87 package- it wasn’t overly common on the v6s- means you have better gearing as well.

Asking questions and getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn!

Comment

true that on the gearing, seems to have slightly firmer springs too.

I have one code that I cannot find anywhere though, it is NB8 - most NB's seem to be associated with emissions, but I have another code for that listed on the sticker.
                    Any thoughts?

I bought it a couple of years ago as a trade in special as the dealer didn't want to spend the money getting the paint and dash cracks fixed. At the time it had just over 100k miles on it and I paid 4 grand for it - well worth it as far as I am concerned as I really do enjoy blasting around in it :)
                    (The pic above is from the dealers original advert, but it still looks the same)

Cheers
                    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pax2001 View Post
                      true that on the gearing, seems to have slightly firmer springs too.

I have one code that i cannot find anywhere though, it is nb8 - most nb's seem to be associated with emissions, but i have another code for that listed on the sticker.
                      Any thoughts?
                      nb8 emission override california system

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Pax2001 View Post
                        Wow, thank you. Discovered a lot of things about the car. It is an LSD model (Y87) also with the stage II engine (L36), found out a ton more and will post a pic of the plate once I can take a pic and upload one, Cheers :)
                        http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Last year I did the aluminum driveshaft mod after my two piece driveshaft was getting noisy (center bearing). I can not believe how much lighter it is than the two piece. I've heard something like 14lbs vs. 34lbs. That's a substantial amount of rotating mass removed from the drivetrain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X