doing drum brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doing drum brakes

Is there a guide as to how to replace the rear drum hardware? I want to replace everything this saturday...I bought the new shoes and springs and everything...How can I do this? Or what do I have to do?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: doing drum brakes

I know there's like two solid pages of illustrations in the Haynes manual for a drum brake overhaul... I would just buy the manual since there are lots of small parts involved
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Is it in there? I'm an idiot, I have it and didn't even look then...anyone know how long it might take or if I might need special tools then? or I guess it might say so in the book to...

Comment

You can use needle nose pliers and screwdrivers to stretch the springs in place.

Put your car on jackstands, make sure you chock the front wheels.

Take off both wheels,work on one side at a time using the other as your guide,thats the easiest way I know.

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
          work on one side at a time using the other as your guide,thats the easiest way I know.
          good advice^...

There are some special tools that will make it easier, like the brake spring tool, but you can get by without them. If you go to a parts store they usually sell a drum brake tool kit relatively cheap. Also, get some brake cleaner to clean out all the brake dust instead of blowing it out with air, it's not something you want to breathe in...
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

get like 2 or 3 cans of brakleen.

and if you want to replace everything, springs, pins and all that jazz, go to the auto store and ask for a combo kit.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I'm doing all the springs, but I am going to reuse the parking lever, and the adjuster things...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X