Shock/Strut Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock/Strut Opinions Needed

Hey all, my 99 camaro needs some new shocks and I am considering a brand called Gabriel as they are relatively inexpensive, anyone using these? Opinions?? Are KYB G2 any good?

Thanks!

Re: Shock/Strut Opinions Needed

bilsteins are extremly sweet
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

First off, our cars have shocks, not struts. Just to clear things up.

The Gabriel shocks you're looking at are pretty much an Autozone brand replacement shock. With that said, they're not better than your worn stock shocks. KYB GR2s are not the greatest shock out there, but they will be a better replacement option than Gabriel or Monroe shocks, and even slightly better than stock replacements.

If you really want a good shock, you're going to have to pay for it. For a nicer setup, I would suggest KYB AGXs, Strano spec Bilsteins, or even Konis. If you're just looking for a replacement setup, KYB GR2s will work fine.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I run QA-1's ADJ. with height control and they are really nice but like Pace said you'll pay for it, KYB AGX's were good though for adjustablility and Blisteins are a nice ride with no adjusting.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks guys (and chick), I really appreciate your help. I looked around a bit more and found a brand called Tokico HP, anyone have experience with these?

I am going to have a performance shop do the install and the labor will be $200 to install shocks in all 4 corners so I am preparing myself mentally (and financially) for the expense.

Pace, these Gabriels I am considering also come with 4 new springs that will drop my car 1.25". The whole setup is just under $300, do you still think I should pass on them? My car is a spring/summer/fall daily driver and never raced FYI.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Personally, I would still go for the GR2s over the Tokico and Gabriel packages. If you're wanting springs, Hotchis makes a good progressive rate spring that lowers the car about 1". If you're looking for more, Eibach's Pro-Kit will give it about another half inch drop.

For some true advice from an expert, try giving Sam Strano a call. He sells many types of suspension parts, with a wide variety of shocks and springs. He can help you find a good shock and spring combo for your needs and budget.

http://www.stranoparts.com/contactus.php

For what it's worth, I would also save the $200 and install the shocks yourself. There are plenty of detailed write-ups around here to help you.
            Last edited by pace2006; 08-25-2009, 08:55 PM.
            '99 Camaro
            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Thanks Pace, I will call Sammy today.

Comment

sam will NOT recommend you cheap shocks nor sell them to you, if you buy from sam you will end up spending $600+

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                  sam will NOT recommend you cheap shocks nor sell them to you, if you buy from sam you will end up spending $600+
                  ^.....X2 Just read up on posts on shocks and see which ones will fit your budget and are decent.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X