Steering rack leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack leaking

Ok, so I only know what I could learn in 1/2 hour about rack and pinion systems in general so I need some help to get this solved quickly.

The passenger side dust cover was leaking from one of the clamps. Me, not knowing anything earlier, removed the clamp and replaced it with a new one. In doing so, tons of oil leaked out of the dust cover. But the leak stopped, for now.

From what I've learned.. there's oil in the dust covers because something is wrong. I've read that the rack is pretty much done. I think the most expensive one I found was like 250 so it's not something that will bury me if I have to buy a new rack but I don't want to spend that much if I don't have to.

I saw some rack seal kits. I don't know what those are for really. Hopefully something that could be useful to me?

So, help?

P.S. I'm not interested in any Power Steering Stop Leak fluid bull****.

TEAM C6V6

Re: Steering rack leaking

The seals in the rack usually fail because the bushings get play in them. New seals will stop the leak for awhile, but will fail in much quicker time then the first set. When your bellows fill back up you will have the leak again.

You can find the quicker ratio racks on ebay for around $100. IF you don't have the V8 rack on your car now you also need to change the lower column. That does away with the rag joint and uses a small u joint like a drive shaft. The quick ratio rack is 2 1/4 turns lock to lock.
    sigpic

Comment

I've got the 2 and 3/4's ratio and it feels pretty tight to me. I'm wondering if it's because of a failed problem but I like how it feels compared to my 02. However I haven't looked at the door codes.

That's good info though, definitely helps me with my options and whatever I finally decide to do. Thank you!

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Yeah I tried the power steering stop leak when my pump was going out, didn't do anything. I have been looking at upgrading to a V8 rank and getting the rag joint. Let me know how it goes if you up grade. I would like to know how much different the feel is compared to the 2.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X