Caliper replacement - Brake Bleeding Q's - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caliper replacement - Brake Bleeding Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper replacement - Brake Bleeding Q's

OK as some of you may know I have to replace my driver rear caliper. Do I have to bleed my entire system or just that one line? Any tips on replacing the caliper?

Procedure for bleeding the whole system:
    Start from farthest to closest to master cyl.
    Get bleed kit from AZ.
    Place hose on bleeder and place other end into bottle with fluid. Loosen nut.
    Pump slowly 3-4 times, tighten, then continue to next wheel.

Correct if wrong or add in any tips...

Do I have to bleed the ABS thingy? :o
    Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 07-08-2009, 01:28 AM.
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: Caliper replacement - Brake Bleeding Q's

I didn't mess with the ABS thing when I did drum to disc brake swap on the rear , just made sure the brake res. was full all the time and had someone pump the brakes. And I just did the rear and it worked fine just make sure the res. is always full. Good luck.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

you would have to do from that line forward...so rear drivers side, front pass than front drivers.
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Thanks kristen!

So I take it my process correct?
        sigpic

Comment

no do not pump the brake while you have the bleeder open! only push down while it is open. if you let the brake up while the bleeder is open any air that is in your tube or get into the tube will be sucked back in to the brake lines and defeat the purpose of what your doing, also pumping brakes apart any air that is already in the line into little air bubbles which are harder the get rid of, best way to go about it is, open bleeder, push slowly till you hit the floor, then close the bleeder, then let your foot off the brake, repeat this 4 to 5 times and you will be fine

Comment

Yeah thats the way Ive always done it. But I was wondering about the line in the bottle way. Ive read some other threads with ppl having good results.

Basically have it submerged. When you push down it pushes air out. When you let up it will suck in the fluid from the bottle.

Thanks for the input :D
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
              Yeah thats the way Ive always done it. But I was wondering about the line in the bottle way. Ive read some other threads with ppl having good results.

Basically have it submerged. When you push down it pushes air out. When you let up it will suck in the fluid from the bottle.

Thanks for the input :D
              Yep ,thats right as long as you have fluid going in the lines you'll be fine, how many times did you have to add to the res. ,mine was crazy but it was both rear calipers adding fluid. Good job.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Oddly enough, I havent had to add any?!
                sigpic

Comment

well ya if it is sucking it through the pump res. then your set. I tried my mighty Vac when I did my rear but I was probably doing it wrong so I had the neighbor puch the brake for me, was done in like 5 mins. and had to add like 2-3 times but mine was looking bad so I flushed alot out of the lines until it looked alot cleaner.

Comment

Ok I just got to work and the damn thing is smoking. So Id say its completely locked up. Did I do more damage? My center cap is even gone :( Anyone know a site that sells universal center caps?
                    sigpic

Comment

Is the caliper locked up just on the side you replaced? What center cap do you need , ebay sells alot.

Comment

I havent replaced it yet, sorry *** Autozone still hasnt got it shipped in yet. :(

As for the center cap; the rim is the same size as our stockers and manufactured by Eagle.

Ill get a better pic when I have a chance...

I dont know if these here would be it or not. They look close, realy the only thing missing is an eagle logo.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEW-ACC308706/
                        sigpic

Comment

Damn this DAY!

The GF just called me to tell me she cant pick me up because the damn Jeep is ****ing up! AGH! Well looks like Im going to start a fire and hope like hell its doesnt warp the rotor or anything else for that matter.

I ****ing hate vehicles... :(
                          sigpic

Comment

Update on my UNLUCKYNESS

I was able to borrow my mothers Jeep to get around in, but on my way to work there was a downed powerline with twenty fat rednecks pointing different directions (thier way of directing traffic I suppose). So needless to say I couldnt figure out which way to go..... So I got a damned ticket! AGH! **** cars!

Well the caliper came in today, only 3 days late. Also bought new pads for all around. Im a little scared of doing this since its very possible that I will die.... Wish me luck.... Please.
                            Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 07-11-2009, 05:28 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well I replaced the caliper and of course that didnt fix my issue. It turned out that it was the bearing... It wasnt there anymore!

So anyway I got it all in and all seemed well. Now Im starting to smell the brake burn again and I think I hear the sound again. Wtf do I need to check now???
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X